Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do both ends myself, so that I would know they are done the right way - XLR-to-RCA is done in many different ways, some better than others...

Indeed. And you have single-ended at one end? Have a read of section 4.5 of this document:

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/appnotes/pin1_appnote.pdf

If you are going to use Gotham or Canare cable just buy it in bulk and terminate both ends yourself.

(Pick Neutrik connectors with a pin 1 connection to chassis.)

@chryses
Have you got the exact size of your stereo case-kit ?
I was thinking of ordering another one...

I just received an email from Ghent about this - the case I've got is 200mm wide x 315mm long. It's a longer version of the standard NCore stereo version found on the GhentAudio website. He says that he has been working on a wider case (300mm wide x 315mm long), but there have been some production issues at the factory - he expects that these wider cases will be available for sale in about a month or so.

Thanks to everyone for the cable advice. Good thing that SGK posted that PDF link. I had seen it before but somehow had it in my head that the little filter circuit needed to be on the RCA end of the cable.

So I'll definitely be building my own cables from bulk wire. Is Canare L-2T2S cable a decent choice?

-Chris

Also see section 9 of the NC400 data sheet.

Wow, that document has changed a lot since the version I saved a couple months ago. I'll give the new one a good fresh read.

But neither version of the datasheet shows the cap and resistor when going from unbalanced source to the balanced input on the NC400. So should I use them or not? Left to decide for myself I guess I'll go with what's in the NC400 specific document, so no cap and resistor.

While most of my enclosure is wood, I've brazed together some 1/8" aluminum into a bottom and rear panel. So I can connect pin 1 of my panel mounted XLR connector with a really short piece of wire.

I'm planning to connect my earth ground to this partial chassis as well.

I checked my DAC and the outer ring of the RCA connectors are electrically connected to the metal chassis. The DAC is powered by a wall wart so there's no earth ground on that side, if it makes any difference here.

Anyway, just trying to describe what I'm connecting in case someone sees a problem.

Still haven't checked my DAC to make sure there's no DC offset on the outputs. But I will before I start building cables.

Thanks,
Chris

Just looked at the latest edition of the NC400 datat sheet dated 27-07-2016 too. It has been much improved in comparison with the older editions.
There is no need for that cap+resistor option, if the directions given for unbalanced cabeling are been followed.

Last edited:
iScream, I would consider the Neutrik EMC series connectors for your cables. Note their construction:

NC3MXX-EMC - Neutrik

Also, you could ask Hypex to rationalise the advice given in the two docs and report back. Note the point made in the doc I linked to that the RC can usually be shorted because the consumer source is typically floating.

Personally I'd use the connectors linked to above and have some confidence that you're getting something similar in a convenient package. (They can be tricky to assemble and require some patience.)

Yeah never been a fan of that marketing line nor the overall look of the ATI amps - rugged rather than elegant. I'm much more a fan of the Theta Digital subsidiary's elegant look to their products. But the NC500 based products do look very nice. The price point is gorgeous as well especially considering that is MSRP and one never pays close to that.

BTW an interesting snippet from an NC500 OEM. Apparently there is something inherent to the Hypex NC modules which means they 'need' to be DC coupled. This OEM is not a fan of DC coupled amps as a general rule and uses DC blocking on all their non-NC designs, but their Hypex based implementations are all DC coupled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.