Hacking the Logitech Z5500

I have TWO Z-5500's and ONE Control Pod. I would like to tie the two SUBWOOFERS together but unsure the best way to do that. Tie the second subwoofer speaker directly to the first one (in series or parallel — power/impedance issues?) or do I need to tie the two amplifiers together? Thanks much!

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have a z5500 about ten + years and i like it.

First, the backlight of my Z5500's control pod LCD screen is broke. A classic and chronic problem. I solved this by changing the SMD LEDs. After this repair, the screen worked smoothly for a long time. But a few months ago the screen went completely gone. The backlight LEDs of the LCD screen are still on, there is no malfunction in the functions of the set in terms of sound, but the LCD screen is completely gone. That's why I recently ordered a new screen from China, thinking that the screen was broken. The new product arrived today, I installed it, but the situation is the same. I wonder which areas and parts of the pod's PCB and alos maybe sub should I focus on for repair? Which IC controls the display, I think it's Zilog Z80 but I'm not sure. I would like your experiences and suggestions. Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_235547.jpg
    IMG_20240507_235547.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 15
I notice there is a Warning near the Control Center D-15 connector: "Do not use extension cables to connect the Control Center." Why not? Seems to me that if the extension cables are properly shielded there shouldn't be any problem. Can someone please enlighten me — thanks much!

I have TWO Z-5500's and ONE Control Pod. I would like to tie the two SUBWOOFERS together but unsure the best way to do that. Tie the second subwoofer speaker directly to the first one (in series or parallel — power/impedance issues?) or do I need to tie the two amplifiers together? Thanks much!
I should clarify: I want to connect the two subwoofer SPEAKERS so that one box drives two speakers. I see that the TDA7294 can drive speakers not less than 4 ohms and the data sheet mentions it will also drive 16 ohms. So, depending on the impedance of the two subwoofer speakers I should be able to connect them together in either series or parallel without any problems.