Anyone using a car audio amp in a home stereo set-up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Computer Server power supplies are 12v chonkers

FWIW computer server power supplies (not the typical ATX ones) run all their power output as a single 12v out, and are available in huge capacities for cheap. People mostly use them for running high power RC car battery chargers as far as I can tell. It requires some DIY to turn one on (more than the short-the-green-wire method used for ATX) and get wires connected to the bare output plates, but it can be an interesting option. I've used an HP DPS-460EB and the instructions found on this page: Server Power Supply Pinout – Simon Wyss to power an Infinity 310a car amp for a sub, with excellent results. The supply was dead silent at idle (as far as I could hear in my admittedly not-silent room), only spins up the fan as needed and ramps back down aggressively, and gracefully shuts down if overloaded (tested with a car battery tester). I got two of the power supplies for free and gave the other to a friend who is happily running a JL amp and sub with it.

I also picked up a 1100/2400 watt (rated at 200 amp 12v output if you feed it 220v AC, 95a 12v @110v AC) looooong boy, because it was only around $20 and I figured it would come in handy for something. I haven't tried it for anything yet; it might be fussier than the HP, or a screamer.

One of the videos I watched on the subject said adding a capacitor to this sort of setup is completely useless*, simply because a switchmode power supply like this is a constant voltage source. So the voltage never drops (for the capacitor to boost), before the power supply shuts down from overload.

* beyond the discussion of whether boost capacitors help at all in a standard battery and alternator setup. I have heard that they can help with high crest factor music and a limited charging rate. But the flipside is they will hinder modern compressed/heavy sine wave music as they will be eating into the power source as they recharge.

Last edited:
FWIW computer server power supplies (not the typical ATX ones) run all their power output as a single 12v out, and are available in huge capacities for cheap....
Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting advice. Lately i have decided to switch to high efficiency speakers ... especialli in my current situation i need let's say more 2 ohm stability than high power.
I will even try this old Xbox psu i am buying (see attachment)
I like it because it is completely sealed
Thanks a lot again

Attachments

• 84213b59-fc41-4cc5-8bcb-edfe59c7d135.jpg
    84213b59-fc41-4cc5-8bcb-edfe59c7d135.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 89
I used an MDS GP4 for my home stereo Sound was fenomenal I used an old Xbox powersupply for it...

Hi ! sorry it's me again. I have got the Xbox psu ... the model is the one in the attached pics. I have the 175W model. i am already looking for the 203W model :eek:
I have not cut the plug yet .... i wonder hot to connect the wires to get the +12V and ground. The wires with the same colour can be connected together ? thanks a lot

Attachments

• 0007026_nexhi-hardcore-gaming-series-power-supply-ac-adapter-for-xbox-360_560.jpeg
    0007026_nexhi-hardcore-gaming-series-power-supply-ac-adapter-for-xbox-360_560.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 91
  • xbox_psu2.png
    xbox_psu2.png
    125 KB · Views: 80
  • thk7ahx.png
    thk7ahx.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
A 12v DC power supply will have two output terminals. One is positive and one is negative. The negative (may or may not be connected to the mains ground) will go the ground terminal of the amp. You don't need any other ground for the amp.

In the US (since others may be interested in this information)...
Most of the plastic cased power supplies have a floating secondary (no connection to the mains).

Most power supplies in a metal case and with a 3-prong mains plug have the ground terminal on the 12v side directly connected to the mains ground.

If I'm not mistaken, when a 3-prong mains plug is used and the power supply has a metal casing, the supply case will be connected to the mains ground for safety, regardless where it's to be used.

A 12v DC power supply will have two output terminals. One is positive and one is negative. The negative (may or may not be connected to the mains ground) will go the ground terminal of the amp. You don't need any other ground for the amp.
In the US (since others may be interested in this information)...
Most of the plastic cased power supplies have a floating secondary (no connection to the mains).
Most power supplies in a metal case and with a 3-prong mains plug have the ground terminal on the 12v side directly connected to the mains ground.
If I'm not mistaken, when a 3-prong mains plug is used and the power supply has a metal casing, the supply case will be connected to the mains ground for safety, regardless where it's to be used

Thank you sincerely again. I think i have understood now :eek: and sorry for the repetitive questions.
I will try first the plastic cased type with no connection to the mains ground (i see a 2 prongs plug).
Next step to try a metal casing smps
I hope i will be able to report on the outcome ... :eek:
Thanks a lot again.

FWIW computer server power supplies (not the typical ATX ones) run all their power output as a single 12v out, and are available in huge capacities for cheap. People mostly use them for running high power RC car battery chargers as far as I can tell. It requires some DIY to turn one on (more than the short-the-green-wire method used for ATX) and get wires connected to the bare output plates, but it can be an interesting option....

Hi ! thanks for the very valuable advice. I am a little scared by the needed modifications to make it work by the way ... but i see many good bargains.:rolleyes:
The fact that they are designed and built to run 24/7 says quality.
All models need internal modifications ? is there any model for dummies ? :guilty:
Thanks a lot again, gino

Server supplies are a good deal and if it will run at 12v (good enough for a lot of different tests) without being adjustable, you have to be concerned about the fans. Some will run the fans at full speed without modifications and some server fans can drown out a commercial jet on takeoff.

I don't have any experience modifying them so I'll leave that to others but be aware that it may be risky (if you don't have an isolation transformer) due to being mains powered.

Actually i do not know how much power will i need. Of course the more the better. I have still to receive the amp i bought. As soon as i will get it i will post a pic with the label ... maybe there are power supply requirements on it ?
If i understand well if i have a power supply of let's say 12V/10A = 120VA this is the limit of power i can take out from the amp ? ok less for the efficiency not being =1 ... maybe 100W total ? on which load ? i am very ignorant ... :whazzat:

Last edited by a moderator:
DC power supplies tell you the output current that they can supply.

VA is for the AC side, not the DC side. There is no need to be concerned about the power factor. Just look at the output current rating and supply voltage.

That's the power that you can draw from it but amps are typically about 50% efficient at full power (linear amps, switching amps are more efficient) so you won't get 100% of the output power of the supply to the speakers.

Didn't you say that you were using very efficient speakers? People, like those with tube amps, use speakers that can produce acceptable levels with just a few watts.

DC power supplies tell you the output current that they can supply.
VA is for the AC side, not the DC side. There is no need to be concerned about the power factor. Just look at the output current rating and supply voltage. That's the power that you can draw from it but amps are typically about 50% efficient at full power (linear amps, switching amps are more efficient) so you won't get 100% of the output power of the supply to the speakers.

Thank you very much again. So i will get about 50% of the power delivered by the power supply at maximum. I see.

Didn't you say that you were using very efficient speakers? People, like those with tube amps, use speakers that can produce acceptable levels with just a few watts.
That is the plan for the future ... but i do not need much power even now.
What is strange to me is that amp with similar power can have much different bass. I guess bass is correlated to actual current delivery with some amps limited in the amount of ampere that can provide to the load ?
I did a test that left me puzzled. I built a dummy load with 2 8ohm/100W power resistors in parallel (i.e. to get a 4 ohm load).
Then i connected some amps very similar in declared power (about 50W on 8 ohm) to the dummy load.
Two behaved as expected ... they got hot and so the load resistors.
One amp instead got very hot on the heathsink (very) with the resistors remaining cold .. :eek:
How can this be ? i still have that amp. I guess it did not like 4 ohm loads very much.
I have speakers that are indeed 4 ohm ... better to try other amps ?

Last edited:
At one time, you could buy server supplies with the mods already done but I don't see many nowadays. Maybe someone else could help with finding one if you need that much power. From previous posts, it doesn't seem like you needed much amp power so you won't need much 12v power.

I have to warn that all computer PSUs are switching ones. So ripple is rather high. Of course its still small but audio quality will be affected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.