• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

The DAC is also Peter's design and kit. Its the boards and components from his NOS DAC premium kit, but adapted to include both Toslink and coax inputs. The power comes from adding some custom windings on the transformer (so I can remove the PS section of the DAC kit's board) and the other two parts are cut in half as they wouldn't fit in the chassis otherwise.
Again, all design credit goes to Peter, I just followed instructions and looked at his pics to get an idea of what was happening. He has pics of an integrated including a DAC in the same chassis lurking on here, just do a search.

I will say that his NOS DAC kit is something special. I have nothing to compare it with but the sound I get now is way ahead of anything I have experienced before.

Hi, I'm building the 3875 Premium kit, and have a few questions.

1. I am using a 40v-0v-40v Torroidal transformer. It is an 800 VA unit that I got off ebay that was from a PVA7 amplifier (PVA 7 - Welcome to the New Official Anthem® Audio Video Website.), and i realize it has more power than is required, but will it work? Is that too much voltage? Can I reduce it if I need to, and how?

2. Since this Tansformer is a Center tap, only three wires on the output do I follow:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip...oid-wiring-peter-daniels-kit.html#post1196283 ? so if I read this properly i will connect my two wires with voltage to AC1 and AC2 one on the inside hole and one on the outside hole. the common wire will then go to the CHG hole in both Amp boards.

In some photos of the gc3875 that Peter built I saw a rather large resistor installed between the star ground and the chasis. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this would be?
The resistor there is to block ground noise from the AC line from entering the amplifier. (The alternative is a straight wire from star ground to chassis.) Your system may or may not benefit from the resistor, depending on how noisy your AC's ground is, but since the resistor is not directly in the signal path, there doesn't seem to be any harm in putting it in.

Hey guys

Thought i would show you my finished Kit and chassis to spur some of the first timers like me on

its the Classic kit built as an integated amp 300va 2x25v

The chassis was a scratch built by me from aluminium with a temp Corian front panel before i get a 10mm aluminium plate CNC machined.

The 48mm Volume knob was souced on Ebay from seller 8audio based in china but delivery was quick .

I would just like to thank Peter for all his help on the forum

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wrote a quick and dirty guide below for bending aluminium if anyones interested in making their own chassis

http://bit.ly/d7ayVE

Have fun

Rupert