Which Reel to Reel Fares Best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across some Pioneer RT-909's and an Akai 635d for sale. I was leaning more towards the Pioneer RT-909 because I own 2 SX-1980 receivers. Is there anyone who knows which of those two brands may fare the best?
If there are any reel-to-reel enthusiasts out there, I will be very grateful to hear from you.
Sincerely, In The 21st. Century.:frosty::wave:

If the Akai has glass and crystal ferrite heads, I would steer clear of it The glass wears faster than the ferrite and
leaves dimples between the ferrite pole pieces. The only fix is to replace the heads - if you can find any.

Do you have tapes you want to copy to digital or do you expect to record to tape?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I play with R2R tape and I would probably recommend an RT-909 if you like cool and do not need to play 2 track tapes. Otherwise I would pass on all consumer decks except maybe something like a Technics RS-1500 (expensive!)

I've designed a couple of tape pre-amplifiers for R2R in recent times and find the technology interesting to play with, but equally frustrating. It is a very expensive hobby if you expect to achieve worthwhile results in this format.

I missed the boat for the finer Studer decks because I was not really committed and declined an A80 some years ago because it's unlikely I would have been able to get it down into the basement listening room, and by the same token there isn't enough space. Today even broken ones go for a significant % of my monthly salary.

So I live in Otari world and own four of them. I'm good at fixing them. I would pass on the ubiquitous MX-5050 and aim for an MX-50N, MX-50NII or the MX-55N which is also a great choice but has gotten rare and really expensive. The MTR-10 is another league, but a bit bulky - prices for the moment are reasonable.

Had I pulled the trigger a decade ago when I should have I would have gone for a Studer C37, B62, B67 or A810. These are the machines to aim for if you are really serious about tape, if not an Otari MX-50 will get you a good deal of the way there particularly if you are willing to do a bit of work. The PR99 is a nice deck as well and well worth the effort, but is typically over $5K. All of these machines if "affordable" will need a lot of work, and some of them like the A810 are extremely complicated.

I have a lot of money tied up 2 track open reel tape including recent releases by various suppliers of reissues of older masters, unless you have a lot of money or are extremely capable I strongly recommend you spend your money elsewhere. (Open reel tape is a bottomless rat hole :D )

P.S. My daily drivers are a pair of MX-50s and I like them a lot.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well it is one of the few home decks really worth mentioning IMO.. :) I have an Otari with a similarly checkered history of incompetent tinkering, I'm happy to report - not by me. I've finally got it completely sorted out, but still need to calibrate the record path for the tape I use. (SM900)

I've been tinkering with marrying my outboard tape amp to the older MX-50.

And still working on my nightmare CT-F1000.. LOL I did find some transport parts for it and am waiting for them to arrive. Play works perfectly, record works perfectly, FF and RWD have quit again, but I am not falling for it this time. LOL Once all the parts arrive I'll take it apart again, I even have new pinch rollers that should work. (The originals are slightly less hard than igneous rock, but still work fine to my surprise)

As much as I love tape I really question my sanity.. :) [No I don't, clearly I have taken leave of my senses] I'm a masochist who enjoys a good challenge.

I'm delighted to hear the RS-1500 is coming along nicely, the owner is one lucky guy to have someone as dedicated as you working on it.

Got my A810 back from rehab. Great deck!
Heads were relapped at Summertone, GB. Terry is a great guy and does fabulous work for a very competitive price. Can recommend their head relapping service.

Attachments

• L1001059klein.jpg
    L1001059klein.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 339
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am pretty impressed with my A810 which until now I have not posted about here..

I've had it not quite a month, it's been fully serviced, recapped and aligned professionally. I wasn't looking for a project this time, and wanted something relatively unimpeachable as a reference and just to enjoy, my small, stupidly expensive tape collection on.

I ended up nonetheless with a bit of a project, despite it being well packed one of the spooling motor stators slipped to the point where the external rotor (it's a papst motor) could contact the windings. Some fireworks ensued.. The problem was obvious once I got it apart, I do not know whether it was dropped, but there was no damage to anything else. I was able to temporarily fix the motor, and last week replaced it with a good one which I had treated to a new set of bearings from PGN before installation.

As an end of the era deck it's very good to put it mildly.

Attachments

• 20210220_220120.jpg
    20210220_220120.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 20210203_123055.jpg
    20210203_123055.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 20210220_210419.jpg
    20210220_210419.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 20210220_211026.jpg
    20210220_211026.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 321
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I also have a Sony TC-KA7ES Japan only 3 head, dual capstan cassette recorder. (BLDC direct drive on take up capstan) I had some curiosity so I bought one just after Christmas. I am somewhat surprised at its performance, enough so that it gets quite a lot of use.

Next is a fixer upper Lyrec 2 track. (no that's not a joke)

Gotta keep entertained. :D

Attachments

• 20210126_214537.jpg
    20210126_214537.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 133
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member

I believe it is, but until I pick it up I am not 100% sure. It's waiting for me to rescue it. It'll be a great project, these machines are exceptionally good sounding.

Good ones should perform about as well as the Studer A810 I think, but I will confess I have not heard one in good running order in a while.

I was always sort of partial to the PR99 but missed that boat. When I had the opportunity to acquire an A810 it was an easy decision.

Get a Revox. I am a long time REVOX (Studer) fan. I have a Revox B 77 where I just finished recaping the power supply and replacing the moror drive circuit board. They have separate motors for the reels and carstan.
Me, too. Great engineered and constructed decks. But if you prefer flat wound reels, do yourself a favor and get a Studer.;)

Attachments

• L1000764.jpg
    L1000764.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I believe it is, but until I pick it up I am not 100% sure. It's waiting for me to rescue it. It'll be a great project, these machines are exceptionally good sounding.

Good ones should perform about as well as the Studer A810 I think, but I will confess I have not heard one in good running order in a while.

I was always sort of partial to the PR99 but missed that boat. When I had the opportunity to acquire an A810 it was an easy decision.
Yes, I heard about that this deck performs well. Will be a nice addition and an interesting audio experience. I may try J37 in the future, sounds tubey and is a real Studer.:eek: Meanwhile, A810 must do.

Last edited:
If you don't want to spend a bunch for a Studer, a Revox B77 or PR99- Mk2 or 3 are great decks. I refurb a bunch of them for folks. If you have money to burn then a Studer, I do a lot of those also. In any of those a recap is a must due to the Rifa and Frako caps that like to fail short and take things with them
The Pioneer 909 is no slouch for a consumer deck either.
Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.