Which Reel to Reel Fares Best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The machine had a new CPU backup battery and the last programm eproms 25/91 implanted (before it had the 13/83 software).

I have to search for what has been changed to non default values after the new parts have arrived and the machine is running again.

The things that went wrong with this "complete overhaul, repair and redone" job has proofed for me that I'm going to provide maintenance, overhaul and repair on this Studer A810 series machines from now on by myself. Good and trustworthy experts are rare, therefore expensive and most often not local available.

There is some tooling thats missing actually, for example in the Studer manual they show a tool for quick alignment of the complete headblock and such a tool I have to go for manufacturing one. The repairman had one and that was the main reason why I gave the machine for an overhaul to him. It was in need of new heads and in retrospective, this Studer was more dead than alive. From my Revox/ Studer tapedeck experiences I even was aware of the difference between a perfect deck and a nonperfect one. Because I wanted the Studer to perform on maximum, I let this job having done by an "expert" on this. Now that I'm aware of the know how to measure it perfectly, I'm going to do this myself.
From this perspective, it was worth the experience.

Last edited:
Studer Revox is swiss made. Quality like a swiss army knife.
Today, if its about the best R2R, I would spend more attention to the audio section.
My A810 shows only minor differences on audio sound to my B77, but I think its possible to better both with external tube electronics. That would be the great gain from a Studer J37.
Otherwise, I like this Studer, because it can do all those things a Revox can't and is more rugged build.

Btw, changing the motor- and PSU caps for new didn't brought much advance. Its interesting, that they were still good after nearly 40 years. Something different to my Revox machines, where its first duty to change them.

Last edited:
Schmitz77: "There is some tooling thats missing actually, for example in the Studer manual they show a tool for quick alignment of the complete headblock and such a tool I have to go for manufacturing one,"
Are you referring to the "tape path alignment gauge" (part # 10.010.001.16) as shown in the manual in Section 3/35? I would certainly like to have one of these--are they still available? I can't see how you could manufacture one unless you had an original to copy; even then tolerances would have to be really tight.

Last edited:
I was refering to the clay head gauge (part # xxxxxxxxx.17) on section 3/34. This is necessary for the adjustment of perpendicular play and record heads and adjusting of their correct height. But the part # xxxxxxx.16 tool will be of good use, too.
I'm no Studer expert, just an amateur user. You should ask Studer service center for availability of those gauges. But I would expect them to be expensive.

I have the perfectly aligned Studer headblock so I can measure the height and dimensions for heads- tool contact area. Otherwise its just a question of a newly manufactured tool with tight tolerances. The tolerances of the tool would have to be the same as with the compact cassette alignment gauges. I would say thats the reference for tolerance. And a good metal workshop will be able to manufacture such a unit without question. Show them the reference pic, give them dimensions and tolerances and they will do. I expect the original Studer tooling to be long out of production and supply.

Last edited:
I wonder whats that for a type and model of audio analyzer laying on the carpet though.

Attachments

• Le Chef.JPG
    Le Chef.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 90
Still have my old Nak T-100...

I just found that there is a software version now available.

Description

NAK T-100 is a lightweight and all-inclusive audio analyzer for inspecting analog audio devices on computer. It is capable of completing 7+ conventional audio measurements in a single setup without swapping a stack of physical instruments. This makes it an agile tool to quickly check whether a given audio device performs to its specifications. Or during a service/repair/modify project, this is a less overkill and more cost-effective tool for conducting general audio measurements on desk top. Some of the key functions are specifically optimized for tuning analog tape players/recorders.

The app features modern DSP core with traditional analog skin. It adopts the "Skeuomorphism" design philosophy to offer era-specific operational experience in working with analog audio devices. However, the underlaying engine works purely from digital domain after all, which does not have to follow the analog measurement principles and yield strict identical readings. Typical tolerances across typologies of test instruments should be expected.

Attachments

• signal generator.JPG
    signal generator.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 98
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Works fine with sound cards. I don't have a recommendation as I have an RTX-6001 that I use, but I would think something from M Audio, Lynx, or any similar recording codec ought to work well.

The other and likely tidier/better option would be a QA-402 when it becomes available. (Or a used QA-401 if you can find one)

QuantAsylum. Innovative tools for audio engineers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.