Need Help With CEC FR-808 Turntable Wiring

Hello all,

Expert electrician I am not. I am trying to refurbish this table and from pictures on the web and visual appearance I can see that someone has added a capacitor to the table. I can't find a schematic or service manual anywhere. I have attached pictures of the table with the piggybacked capacitor and also one from the web in original condition. I also drew a crude wiring diagram. The picture of the MP-H 4 (K) 150 shows the capacitor that was added. Any enlightenment as to why the capacitor was added, and what value/voltage, would be greatly appreciated. Also if someone could explain the purpose of three connections on the original capacitor. I thought there were three connections only if it was a dual capacitor internally. Is it a combined start/run capacitor? Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF8189.JPG
    DSCF8189.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF8191.JPG
    DSCF8191.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF8211.JPG
    DSCF8211.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF8212.JPG
    DSCF8212.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 166
  • FR-808.jpeg
    FR-808.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 173
It appears there should be a single (two connection, film) motor run capacitor of value 3.7uF/150WVAC as shown in the final photo.

At some point, the extra capacitor may have been added in an attempt to make the motor run more smoothly. I would see how the motor runs with and without the piggyback capacitor. Film capacitors should not need replacing.

P.S. A three connection capacitor, with all three connections in circuit, would suggest a combined start/run capacitor. Follow ralph's suggestion of removing the clamp in order to verify, the start capacitance would be larger than the run capacitance.

Question: Is the capacitance 37uF in the final photo or 3.7uF?

That was my initial thought. I am getting a capacitance meter tomorrow. I will check things out. I hope to validate the dead capacitor. One thing I can't figure out is that the only specs on the can cap is 3.7uF. Could motor start and motor run caps both have this same value? Thank you.

So I got the capacitance meter and this is what I got. I arbitrarily assigned numbers to the three original capacitor terminals. 2&3-157pF, 1&3-168pF, 1&2-89pF. The capacitor that was piggybacked to the original, the one marked 4 (K) 150, measures 8.4uF. The capacitor wired on the terminal strip measures 332nF. I can see a 1 uF marked on this one but I am not sure if it is 1uF or .1uF. Thanks again.

Jim

420nF is 0.42uF which would be a reasonable reading for a 1uF cap.

It would appear that the large can capacitor is dead (since the capacitance readings are effectively zero).

To help understand why there are three terminals, please post a head-on photo of the business end and relate the terminals on the photo to those on the circuit diagram you supplied earlier.