Chipomatic balanced input RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We will try to be thorough on satisfying our curiosity for options. The direct to rails connectors are there. Lets hope that the non activated on board reg parts will not influence any measurements when the rails will be externally powered first and foremost.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have not listened to FSP sadly, but my understanding is it is already close when considering "affordable non exotic cartridge". Who knows, with a bit of fine tuning and further refinements (still some options left!), and only for MM use, leaving while at it the SE/balanced input selector (never good for small signals I guess), one can perhaps hope to get very close to the FSP unless considering very $$ MCs that might make the difference a bit more noticeable?

The switch was working well after all, its at the ground path. Dimdim's input Molex was waving a bit hello at points during the measurements :D

As for reaching to the FSP I don't think it will ever show a similar subjective effect due to the very different nature of those designs. Its best we concentrate on pushing its own strengths.

The input signal connectors especially should be skipped to directly solder the coax in a finished build, as I have seen they can be prone to erratic noises. Maybe that's a hint for George too (?)

In my last tests that' s what I did. You see in the pictures that there are are no molex connectors at the input. But during testing it was a big help not to have to desolder and solder every now and then.

Like Salas said, my prototype is happily reproducing with what I would call exemplary RIAA precision. +/-0.15dB from 20Hz-20KHz is a lot better than what I was expecting, considering that I did no component matching.

In fact, comparing it to my previous RIAA preamp (very, very old school discrete design) I was suspecting that something was off.. it turns out that my previous preamp was the one that was off. :p

Even though the temporary build is on a piece of flakeboard, with no shielding whatsoever, in my system (with a MM cartridge) I get not discernible hum or noise.

This is a very well behaving and performing preamp. I'm now in the process of putting it inside a metal case and setting it up for MC duties so that it can be pitted against Salas' agricultural edition board.. That should be interesting.. :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's a snap I took from your build by the way. Of course with an agricultural grade set up touch since it entered my lair. The secret sauce of measuring goodness was due to the tin foil but mostly due to the takeaway restaurant's insulating napkin. The moment you will box it right, the linearity goes out of the window :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_193758.jpg
    IMG_20190212_193758.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 263
On another note, comments are very encouraging and refer to level of details, linearity and dynamics are highlighted.

What about musicality? Or PRAT? Apart from being nearly perfect and noise free, is this pre amp engaging and fun to listen to? Does it make Ella vibrating, Dire Straits sing? After all, it is all about enjoying music :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
On another note, comments are very encouraging and refer to level of details, linearity and dynamics are highlighted.

What about musicality? Or PRAT? Apart from being nearly perfect and noise free, is this pre amp engaging and fun to listen to? Does it make Ella vibrating, Dire Straits sing? After all, it is all about enjoying music :)

With the AD823 on the output stage & servo roles it has very good rhythm. In general its musical enough for a very low THD circuit. It's not dry, flat toned, or bright.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
George was here yesterday visiting for an hour between other things he traveled to do in the city and he also eared the agricultural build a little. Its somewhat more musical than his he said, maybe the shunt PSU, maybe better than his NOS Partridge 977 step up transformers he reckoned. Mine are JT-44K-DX Jensens.

I will have the opportunity to test with top of the line Sowter step up in a month or so when a friend's order will be ready by the factory. "1480 Studio phono cartridge transformer. 1:10. 100% balance. Exceptional bandwidth." They need no anti-ringing termination Zobel states the official literature.

Many thanks Salas

The last remaining bit seems to be indeed the PS options... indeed sensitive as that could be potentialy putting off some DIYer... The heck, why not comparing with these regs, with 1 UBIB, with 2 UBIB (after all...) and why not even UBIB AND SMD REGS :)

Who knows what the best option is or if really relevant

VERY interesting, definitely up for board(s), be it Chipo or chipo + UBIB(s), great project

Claude