Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)
Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2019, 12:09 PM   #441
scobham is offline scobham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok, I am still writing the build and setup instructions for the motor speed controller/tacho which is my priority right now for next few weeks. After that I will post a diagram for you on how to build a nixie display and post some sample arduino code.
Old 25th November 2019, 02:53 PM   #442
themcneills is offline themcneills  United States
diyAudio Member

That would be amazing. For people who have finished their tacho projects, does the board put off any heat? Is there any worry about enclosing it with little ventilation?
Old 30th November 2019, 05:32 PM   #443
diyAudio Member

Themcneils when you are asking if the board puts out any heat, are you referring to my motor speed controller/tacho or the nixie display board?
Old 2nd December 2019, 02:45 PM   #444
themcneills is offline themcneills  United States
diyAudio Member

I meant the tachometer setups that people have completed (Arduino + whatever rpm measuring solution they’ve settled on).
Old 7th December 2019, 01:25 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

OK so the base Arduino and rpm sensor output very little heat - this applies to all implementations. The motor speed controller gets warm (but not hot) as the motor output drive is a class A amplifier.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:51 PM   #446
gregorjank is offline gregorjank
diyAudio Member

Can I use your motor speed controller/tacho if i have mains powered motor (230v).
If so, could you write, how it will be handled? (plugs, switches ets. for starting turntable I will turn on controller or turntable?)
Old 10th December 2019, 09:14 PM   #447
Star Cruiser is offline Star Cruiser  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've not read all the thread, but this sounds like a great project.

Is the controller suitable for the Garrard 301/401 Motors? I believe these are 4 Pole Induction Type.
Old 19th December 2019, 10:16 PM   #448
diyAudio Member

Gregorjank, most synchronous motors run off 110v even when the turntable is plugged into 240v - there is a resitor/capacitor network to divide the voltage down. Check the label on your motor. If your motor is really 240v the you will need a step up transformer/amplifier as described with Pyamid's SG4. Its probably cheaper to buy a new motor though in the 12v to 110v range.
You wire the motor to the controller. Two ways to switch on: 1. either configure controller to start motor at the application of main power and switch controller on from main turntable switch or 2. Configure a seperate start/45rpm/stop push switch (same as Linn Valhalla etc) - switch is low voltage an can be mounted in a separate enclosure. Mains power direct to controller.

Star Cruiser yes but the 301/401 must be a 110v configuration or you will face same problems as above. A step up transformer/amp will be required. Also max current draw from motor must be <20mA

All, just a progress update. Will have finally finished the instructions this weekend (my new job has been keeping me busier than I expected). A friend in the UK will build one kit as a test to see if there are any changes necessary to the instructions. Then should be ready so New Year is probably about the right timescale for shipping pcbs or kits if all is well.

Last edited by scobham; 19th December 2019 at 10:22 PM.

Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)Hide this!Advertise here!