Technics SL-1200 DC Power Supply

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have had a chance to listen to the turntable enough in the last few days for the sound of the modification to make itself apparent - there is no doubt that the noise floor is lowered, the background is blacker, and the entire presentation is cleaner. But that is the sound...

The startling thing is the musicality - after the mod it is much more difficult to listen to the turntable objectively... I sit down wanting to figure out what the differences sound like, and find myself needing to get up and pick the needle out of the run-out groove after listening to a really great side of an album.

I've done plenty of builds and modifications to lots of equipment over the years. In general the ones where the sonic differences are very obvious are actually not a step forward, although they might sound good. Usually the beneficial mods sound pretty relaxed, in a good way. Nothing stands out. (Although a circuit or the like getting quieter is always beneficial.) The real gains are noticed when you get wonderfully distracted by the music.

Musically this mod is fantastic.

I am not very far into the modification process of the Technics, but I'm quite pleased with how much gain can be made to such a competent deck. It's DNA is pure, and I am very interested into seeing where this adventure leads.
I like what you are doing with the sl-1200. You should also think about adding weight in the plastic case, and maybe make a suspension system. on what do you sit your sl-1200?
Anyways, here's a thread I have done concerning my modification with the sl-1200:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...mk1-suspension-board-isolation-upgrade-2.html

My next step was to indeed change the psu.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I haven't done the tonearm damper. It's awfully interesting though.

Plinthing the SL-1200 seems kinda odd, ans the chassis really isn't made for it. Making an entire new chassis, however, is an idea I've thought about, but it would entail a lot of work. It's the type of thing I would like to do if I get another deck.

I do, however, want to make a new tonearm wand/headshell from some precision aluminum-clad carbon fiber tubing. The headshell is the issue. Not impossible, just requires a mill.

The headshell is the issue. Not impossible, just requires a mill.

If you have access to a miter saw, you can make a Jelco style one in less than 5 minutes :)
And about 10 more with a dremel for the screw rails.
And 10 more if you want to give it a nice finish :)

373310d1380222200-diy-linear-tonearm-dim_3568.jpg

The LP12 was amazing. Very expensive, but it was worth it.

The SL1200 plinth is almost complete in my mind/paper. It will be a combination of wenge slabs in layers and high purity graphite for the in-between extra vibration decoupling stuff and the legs. Ebony will be used only for a few key parts like the headshell.

I will open a new thread when I start working on it, but currently I have too many open projects to start a new one... soon...

Hi dimkasta,
I have seen only 2 diy replacement plinth for the SL-1200 turntable. One member of a Hi Fi forum member powermatic said that his new wood plinth sounds airier, more articulated highs, sharper attack on the bass, female vocals seem more realistic a much improved turntable. The Technics SL-1200 turntable sold over 3 million units. The best selling turntable of all time. It deserves a new plinth. dimkasta, your plinth will transformthe ugly duckling into a swan. On Feb 2014 I will be asking you about your Technics SL-1200 plinth project. I hope to see it done.

Hi Can anybody help please?. I have a SL1210 MK2 which I am rebuilding I have fitted an external PSU a Paul Hynes PR3iTD and replaced the motor control board Electrolytic Capacitors with Panasonic FC. But I hve found that the Target Lamp bulb is blown, On you tube it shows how to fit a LED as a replacement. This uses a +5 Volt T020 regulator to drop the voltage with a resistor to get the correct voltage. Will adding a voltage regulator add noise to the circuit, advice on what would be needed would be very welcome.

Thanks for the suggestions as I will not be using the on off switch I could use it to isolate the popup lamp. I am very interested in removing the motor what do you suggest a treadmill powered by my cat, I think that speed control would be tricky as he would soon get bored.

Their is an interesting Video by Viper Frank on changing the target lamp is it OK to post a link to it?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Can anybody help please?. I have a SL1210 MK2 which I am rebuilding I have fitted an external PSU a Paul Hynes PR3iTD and replaced the motor control board Electrolytic Capacitors with Panasonic FC. But I hve found that the Target Lamp bulb is blown, On you tube it shows how to fit a LED as a replacement. This uses a +5 Volt T020 regulator to drop the voltage with a resistor to get the correct voltage. Will adding a voltage regulator add noise to the circuit, advice on what would be needed would be very welcome.

No need to drop voltage for LED-use, you only need a resistor to control current.

Arne K