Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2020, 01:43 PM   #3471
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

Searching "Linhof 617" on web gives the reason for building that camera (just try to backpack it...).
Everything started with new clients in jewelry production, since large-format lenses demonstrated not enough sharp with so small objects. So I adapted the Hasseblad lenses that, used for macro, covered the 4"x 5" film at best. Then a lot of gadgets - studio photograpphy was a pretty complicated job before photoshop: no minimal flaw allowed.

I apologize to everyone for my polemical tone, but after the invention of CAD CAM people think that now machining is just a press-button craft, that all is easily feasible. And this gets on my nerves. As if even programming and using properly a CNC machine, would not require great experience and skill.
You had the best possible teacher for sure, Warren. For a diyer it takes a much longer and frustrating path to understand the right procedures.

ciao carlo
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:32 PM   #3472
dahlberg is offline dahlberg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'm using a fairly simple usb microscope but it's still useful. I found a measure function that will come in handy. You calibrate to a known and measure what's needed

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/images/0.058.jpg
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #3473
diyAudio Member

Another one:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #3474
diyAudio Member

Video download of a drill bit / pivot made "by hand" with the dremel and a diamond knife honing sharpener:

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/images/1.avi
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #3475
diyAudio Member

The angle pic is not correct in radius. The software looses calibration from set to set so you have to recalibrate for each new picture.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #3476
niffy is offline niffy  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Dahlberg,

You seem to be getting better results with your dremel than I did when I tried to use mine to make my pivots. My dremel wasn't centered anywhere near accurately enough and it's slowest speed was still way too high.
I ended up using sewing pins as they were already shaped most of the way to what was needed and are made of hardened steel. I rounded the tip by fitting the pin in a hand held pin vice, having cut the head off, and using a sheet of 1200 grit wet and dry paper. I started with the pin lying almost horizontally against the paper then dragged the tip across the paper whilst standing the pin up and rotating the vice between my fingers. I did this whilst applying only the lightest of pressure and rotating the vice between strokes. I also constantly checked both the size and shape of the tip by comparing it to the end of a 0.25mm drill bit.
To polish the tip I first used a polishing pad soaked in Tcut in the dremel and again used the pin vice to constantly change the angle of contact. Final polishing was achieved using diamond paste on a leather pad.
This method proved to be rather easy and effective and made very spherical tips.
The most difficult part of the whole process was drilling a 10mm deep 0.8mm hole in the end of the M3 aluminium axle into which the pins were mounted. I don't own a lathe.

Niffy
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #3477
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

...hand held tools win cnc lathes hands down ...
in the right hands of course - congratulations to both for your "swiss watchmaker" skill.
Excellent idea, the usb macroscope - mine is just for the eyes, sometimes I've used instead a film scanner (as done for pen tips). I asked if you used the projection on a grid because i've seen a device used by a camera repairman to replicate broken gears.

I don't own a lathe... Cheer up, it's a nightmare even on a lathe - you have to start the hole with the centerdrill, and then to push and pull the drill chuck by hand out of the tailstock. Slooowly, repeatedly. carefully
carlo

Last edited by nocdplz; Yesterday at 03:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #3478
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Dahlberg,
They are great results especially for a Dremel. Dremels are renowned for having loose bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffy View Post
The most difficult part of the whole process was drilling a 10mm deep 0.8mm hole in the end of the M3 aluminium axle into which the pins were mounted. I don't own a lathe.
Niffy

This is why my plan is to use a 2mm HSS drill for the axle pin. Much easier to drill a 2mm hole. My lathe is 1200rpm max, a bit slow for such a small hole, go slowly.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #3479
niffy is offline niffy  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrjon View Post
This is why my plan is to use a 2mm HSS drill for the axle pin. Much easier to drill a 2mm hole. My lathe is 1200rpm max, a bit slow for such a small hole, go slowly.
Hi Warrjon,

I set my pillar drill up as a vertical lathe with a second chuck as a tailstock. I made about 8 axles, 20mm long, so I had would have spares for mistakes and experimentation. I actually managed to drill all the way through all of them, starting from both ends, without breaking a single drill bit. Drilling the 1.6mm holes for the tungsten carbide pivots was definitely easier. Taking it slowly is definitely the key, cut half a millimetre max per pass fully retracting the drill between each to clear the bit with a small brush.

Niffy
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #3480
diyAudio Member

So finally back from work
I found out that it worked a lot better if I put the breaks on the dremel with my
index finger having it almost still when it entered and left the honing sharpener.
I also adjusted speed some during honing. I started of by hand grinding away
the rest of the broken 1mm drill so that I was fairly close to start with. The drills
seem to have really good tolerances to start with so that helps. Not sure about
the dremel bearings but I had some problem with a collet (not the dremel
original I think) that was solved using another one.

The software for the microscope is "Celestron micro capture pro", not sure if
the microscope itself is genuine though (it might be).

Last edited by dahlberg; Yesterday at 10:45 PM.

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!