Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It may have been a topic already, but since the FSP is an unsymmetric circuit and the output cap is DC biased, would it not make sense to try a high quality electrolytic capacitor for C4?
I do not want to start a heretic or controversial discussion since high quality foil caps are considered to be superior in any way. But I have quite good experience with elcaps in similar situations, even non-bypassed. And I have also experience that foil caps in DC biased situations can sound more "distorted" than high quality elcaps. Any opinions?

It would surprise us if you could achieve better than what say a simple MCAP-Supreme model can by using a lytic there, but it would be a beneficial surprise for expenses, so do test and surprise us please.:)

Looking good. NOS USA Teflon even... Do those sinks have the needed mass for the output MOSFETs though? They are tall nonetheless.

P.S. See not to short any pads with the metal can C3s. Keep their barrels 1mm above board level.

Thanks! I could easily forget this detail. I will also put some insulation underneath. The sinks are taller and probably adequate, but I will look for the proper ones, as they look better. Also missing some stronger LEDs and some caps which are on the way here.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Of course I will try it, even if it seems ridiculous to you. My temporary "reference" is a Naim preamp with slightly modified MC boards, all coupled with some, by the highend community highly rejected, tantalum caps but good sounding nevertheless :)

The NAIM is synergistic to those, I had a thread about how the NAIM can be modified for transistors and RIAA even, so I don't think its ridiculous. But lets see on the FSP when you will compare a good film and a lyitic on C4.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/176205-naim-ly-better.html#post2346643

The NAIM is synergistic to those, I had a thread about how the NAIM can be modified for transistors and RIAA even, so I don't think its ridiculous. But lets see on the FSP when you will compare a good film and a lyitic on C4.

I am very curious already but sadly have to wait until all the parts will arrive and the amp can be made. Can you give me a link to your Naim mod thread please? I changed the original beaded tantalums to the Kemet T110 wet type. What a difference! Of course choice of parts matter a lot.

Build thread as it is...

Have someone gathered a BOM especially for Denon 103r? Maybe this should be discussed in a thread of its own since it might be very specific? Maybe there are other specials - that requires a generic thread - or are we satisfied here?

If another thread - start with something known as 103r or OC** orr whatewer you decide on in your community - it makes it easier to search and sort...

Regards

Last edited:
Torroids ordred, www.toroidy.pl

2 ea 300VA
Audio grade *
2 x 18V

129euro inkl shipping from Poland to Norway :D

*(In audio grade, noiseless transformer price You'll get transformer wound on high inductive, selected and measured core. Core and all the windings will be impregnated. Transformer will also has electric and electromagnetic shields, epoxy filled interior and mounting pads in price.)

Last edited: