PO89ZB , an inline DC filter for SMPS wall warts . Preamps, HPA, Korg NuTube, etc

Mount it inside the NuTube case, in between the barrel and the switch.
Ah okay, that would be ideal. What other parts would I need? Do these come with wiring? If not, how do I wire them to these plugs?

2.1mm x 5.5mm male plug,xyz,490-PP3-002AH (backordered)
2.5mm x 5.5mm male plug,xyz,490-PP3-002B
2.1mm x 5.5mm female jack,xyz,490-PR-002A
2.5mm x 5.5mm female jack,xyz,490-PR-002B

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here’s an example in ACP+

in NuTube, you’d attach the barrel jack to the PO89ZB like this, then take the output of PO89ZB to the power switch. After the switch would be the same as it already is.

BE4805C3-8BD3-4002-8D27-042BB3C4D442.jpeg
11BD0E98-7C67-4CAC-903A-570E69866035.jpeg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Here is one of the korgs that I built. Use taller standoffs than the korg kit comes with for hte SMPS. The SMPS will be at a different level so it won't contact the board.

The side of the SMPSboard pretty much touches the case but it does fit.

Attachments

• 316754201_3277191912531500_5835505103824928515_n.jpg
    316754201_3277191912531500_5835505103824928515_n.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 157

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
M3 stand-offs with about 5mm spacing. Yes you need to drill if using standoffs.

Alternately, if you look waaaaay back in post 1 of this thread, you can see an example using two-sided foam tape (preferably 3M) and stick it to the chassis. Simple, and if you have all the surfaces clean, can be quite secure.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I don't have that particular preamp in front of me. I built one for my dad and a friend in the standard case and sent them off. I have one here but in a larger wooden case. The wooden one is awaiting a very nice gold point attenuator and selector switch after Christmas which should make for a nice experiment.

Here are the standoffs that I keep floating around:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KXTW9PH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a large assortment but they come in handy. You can likely find a smaller quantity of them if you decide to get a multipack

Reactions: 1 user
M3 stand-offs with about 5mm spacing. Yes you need to drill if using standoffs.

Alternately, if you look waaaaay back in post 1 of this thread, you can see an example using two-sided foam tape (preferably 3M) and stick it to the chassis. Simple, and if you have all the surfaces clean, can be quite secure.
FWIW, over time the ‘white’ double-sided foam tapes can suffer from the foam breaking down (especially if there’s heat cycling involved) and the two objects they hold together separating. 3M make a range of double-sided tapes designed to hold automotive trim on to fenders etc and they are superior to their ‘white’ foam cousins in my experience. I’ve used them for decades in the line of work and a few times for audio applications without any sign of divorcing of the mated parts🙃!

https://www.amazon.com/3m-automotive-double-sided-tape/s?k=3m+automotive+double+sided+tape

Reactions: 1 users

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Has anyone done actual measurements comparing Salas regulator vs meanwell+this filter for b1k application? I have Salas bib regulator driving my b1k, but considering saving some space and moving it to smaller chassis. I really don’t want to lose any performance :). Even if I can’t hear I may lose my sleep in this case anyway :)

Linear will always be better than switcher. So if you will loose sleep over something you probably cannot hear with this device, stay with salas. With this filter you bring the performance real close to linear one in b1k use case :) To me it is quite simple math, if you want smaller chassis, go with this filter plus mean well (this is coming from a guy that went to great lengths to improve b1k, see attachment :) ).

20221016_185859.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Hi PKI,

No measurment but listening tests, to my own preference and all IMHO.

You may want to use the search function, but I tweaked a few bits on the B1K, including its PS caps, and eventhough I found the filter to be benefical to my ears.

Perhaps more importantly, I compared SMPS + Filter vs Big linear lab PS (see B1K thread) and the winner was SMPS+Filter. By a small margin though, as air gets really thin on this unit re PS tweaks at that stage.

I haven't tried the highly praised Salas shunt, so can't comment really, but for whatever it is worth:
  • apart from taste and colour consideration, I doubt there is much more to be objectively gained in this set up
  • SMPS + Filter are delivering an outstanding result and I learned the hard way that SMPS can sound fine (once filtered etc.), for sure in this application it is not the limiting factor re neutrality (read: the B1K has its own "sound print" that is both its beauty and for sure its dominant trait, whatever tweaks we might try)

And that is coming from someone who always believed a switcher couldn't compete with a linear PS re sound... I learned meanwhile, and perhaps also the tech has improved over the years.

Just my 2 ps, let u sknow your findings

Claude