Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As its general audio circuitry goes yes, the output relay should be still operating too. There is the three red Leds drop from B+ to the relay so with 17V goes down around its nominal 12V for the coil, but it also has a 9V must operate bottom voltage spec.

Even if it refused to click on 15V B+ just one Led could be removed and replaced with a jumper wire to win some available rail voltage back.

There is a subtle yet noticeable difference in the sound as you play with voltage in the 15-18V range and the reaction is different between the DCSTB and the Ubib1.3. You also notice a slight change in staging. With Ubib 1.3 I am presently running 17.25V which to my ear it sounds the best. I must mention that mine is a balanced build. I can however verify that the relay does latch at 15V, the click is much fainter.
nash

not to offend you Salas, but is there an insight review compared to other headamp like Whammy or Noir? I'm also looking at BottleheadCrack.

I'm using opamp base headpamp (OPA627 for gain & LME49600 for output) now for my HD650, never had a chance to compare it to any other headamp yet but looking for a discrete build.

I can weigh in on this anecdotally. All subjective, all my opinion. I have lots of experience with Whammy (built 4), opamp rolling in it etc. I also have the Noir here at the desk—I'm a huge fan of all involved—Mark, Wayne, and of course our dear Salas. Phones I have for eval: Audeze LCD3, Beyer DT 1990, Focal Elex Drop edition (some components from the Elear as I understand), Sony MDVR6 (not open back like all the others—we use these for work—but they are very neutral.). I have experience with the Sennheisers, but made other choices based on listening preferences. Fostex are also awesome.

My first experience with phones on DCG3 was mostly playing vinyl (SP-10MK2, Hana ML, Salas UFSP [build this!])—to say this time was well spent would be a massive understatement. I simply couldn't believe how great it sounded—blacker background for vinyl than w/ power amps! IMO, no phones listening will truly equal in room listening with good setup and 3-way speaks—but man it's close—and it's own animal—and worth doing anytime. Audeze was the winner here for me—closely followed by the Focals (buy the Focals, great value). Honestly, the sound in phones was exactly similar to what I have experienced with 4-5 other preamps I have here for comparison to DCG3 as preamp with speakers. Clarity, definition, plenty of bass, not aware that the circuit is editorializing—sounds fantastic and open and maybe "faithful" to whatever the source is. Point is—all the preamps sound great—we are talking personal nuance, and probably specifics of room etc. Certainly for vinyl cartridge choice is HUGE, followed by phono pre.

Comparing to Whammy isn't totally fair. Short version is—build both—why not? Whammy is awesome—opamp rolling is seriously fun—and an easy way to finetune tastes. Each headphone above lends differences with every preamp—they are all good—and totally dependent on music/source/opinion—and definitely the DAC assuming a hi-res source. I will say that Whammy as preamp—I prefer DCG3. My Whammys are all dedicated to phones only. My personal preference.

Mark's Noir is another—"just build it"—why not? I use Noir all the time for desktop/work listening. Very much influenced by DAC choice. Again, a lot of factors to evaluate. Comparatively, if I was were to paint some broad stroke differences between the three—we could offset any of those opinions by swapping DACs and headphones (and opamps in the case of Whammy). All these elements lend signatures. And lets not forget Nelson's ACP+. It's a killer on headphones too—and a fantastic preamp.

One can't have too many preamps or headphone amps! I've heard the Bottlehead stuff is great. One other potential factor that I have tested among all the preamps I've built—I have a Muses volume control in DCG3 (and my Aikido preamp—also FINE! [no headphones though])...and I think these chips make a huge difference in the overall system—I have tried with and without. There's something happening there.

Last edited:
@pfarrell

thanks for your concise review, seems Salas already design a very good product. btw Headphone session is only a 2nd system for my WFH desk, nothing serious. I'm using old LG V20 as my source playing Deezer Hifi and headamp, tweaking with EQ software brought different presentation instead of default.

I was originally planning to go with two DCG3 boards for a balanced configuration due to my DAC and amp being balanced but am intrigued by the simplicity of the below balanced input pre-amp kit that can use the MUSES volume attenuator.

The DCG3 would replace the line amplification and the volume attenuation would be performed on a single-ended signal and then converted back to balanced.

Does anyone have experience with this kit?

ISB | academyaudio

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have the VCM and MCU for my DCG3 balanced preamp along with a 4 input relay balanced selector. No experience with the opamp preamplifier, the DCG3 is a class A preamp, so I built two sets of boards. I'll complete it when the weather changes to winter, after listening to a friend's DCG3, I never considered anything else. I'm sure the opamp preamp is nice, but I'm looking for exceptional sound which is why I spent the money for the muse.

So the about +/-17.5V PSU should be capable of at least 200mA on the positive and 100mA on the negative to cover the demanding load example. There is little more to add for the input stage and the servo.
If using double mono BIB shunt regulators a 250mA CCS limit for the positives and 150mA CCS limit for the negatives would be the economic choice heatwise. Double that when with common between channels mono regulators. If using the double mono DC stabilizer there is nothing to set. Its just a low noise non amplified voltage reference with a compound current pass transistor (Sziklai) of high enough amperage.

When not planning to use headphones, or at least not below 70 Ohm impedance ones, then 150mA CCS per rail limit for double mono regulators will suffice.

I'd like to build the DCG3 and have just started reading this thread. So if I'n going to use 4 BiB boards to power the preamp, and won't be using headphones, is the calculation for R1 on the BiB build R1 = 600/150 or do I need to add 100mA? I don't want to make assumptions but having read the UltraBiB build guide was left wondering if CCmA is the same as CCS?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You could also target 570/200 to include Vbe bottom tolerance for closest stock value Rset (R1) 2.8Ω and about 200mA total per UBiB unit. Many DCG3 run at 110-120mA when on 10Ω R10 instead of 100mA on the nose.
Due to matched M3 Vgs (off) samples bit stronger than prototype's likelihood. So 200mA UBiB current limit goal allowing little more welcome slack in reserve.

I have the VCM and MCU for my DCG3 balanced preamp along with a 4 input relay balanced selector. No experience with the opamp preamplifier, the DCG3 is a class A preamp, so I built two sets of boards. I'll complete it when the weather changes to winter, after listening to a friend's DCG3, I never considered anything else. I'm sure the opamp preamp is nice, but I'm looking for exceptional sound which is why I spent the money for the muse.

The idea would be that the DCG3 replaces the opamp preamp line driver but uses the source selection and attention features. How are you using the MUSES for attenuation on two DCG3 boards? Also, what balanced input selector do you have in mind?

I have been trying to settle on the best approach to get balanced input/out as my DAC and amp are fully differential and also in corporate a single-ended turntable into the mix.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I'm using 2 VCMs stacked to make a balanced volume control, the Academy Audio website has download info to create a balanced control using 2 VCMs. The selector I'm using I found on eBay, cheap relays however so I replaced them with quality relays.
If you decide to build a balanced version using two boards, make sure you let TeaBag know and he will match the transistors for the two kits. Very important! Salas said that only one power supply pcb is needed even with a balanced build.
It's projects like this that make me look forward to winter.