Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
With all that straightened out, time to bone up on MUSE type volume control. Need another couple of transformers, and another chassis. Want to get those here so I can get it up and running before installing the new power supplies. Then the muse. Guess I will poach my existing DCG3's volume pot as well. I'm thinking of putting them ( The MUSE ) in a couple different preamps I already have as well. several here have done it and seem to be quite pleased with the results.

Bubba

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Its one of the many chinese resistor covered ladder pot, 25K. (Ebay) They are clunky and not very elegant, but dont sound half bad for the price, usually 25 bucks or so. Have used 5 of them, only one dud.

Have always heard positive things about the MUSE type control. About the only other type that gets my attention are the transformer types, like Zenmod's Iron Turtle.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Its one of the many chinese resistor covered ladder pot, 25K. (Ebay) They are clunky and not very elegant, but dont sound half bad for the price, usually 25 bucks or so. Have used 5 of them, only one dud.

Have always heard positive things about the MUSE type control. About the only other type that gets my attention are the transformer types, like Zenmod's Iron Turtle.

Russellc
I've compared them to the Alps Blue, Alps has much better feel. Chinese pot is a little better, but clunky in the feel. Obviously neither is going to win any ribbons! Everybody seems to indicate once I hear the MUSE or a transformer control, I wont be able to listen to resistive pots again. Well, a lot of resistive pots will have to be changed then, and replacing all of them is unlikely any time soon. Do want to try one, and figured others here have so maybe a good place to start. Any improvement in resolution will be interesting, is amazing already to say the least. Combined with the Salas Phono pre, it is extremely nice.

Listening to it now with DIY Pass M2, teabags boards.

Russellc

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The mechanically smoother Chinese one should be the EIZZ
At double+ the price of generic ones nonetheless
These things dont sound horrible, I have seen them with Dale resistors, well they looked like and I assumed they were. Its just the feel. Clunk, clunk, but once set isnt an issue. If the EIZZ is twice as expensive, its still cheap. I believe there were only 24 positions, more would be nice, but price up to of course. the Iron Turtle is an expensive kit, I will probably eventually do that as well.

The MUSE seems to be a step I should check out, builders on the BA2018 linestage thread were impressed with them in their builds as well. I think Pass may use something similar in his commercial designs IIRC?

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
EIZZ uses "BH 1/4W Carbon 2%" inside, so they advertise. 48 stepped are better in smooth setting volume because they offer enough 1dB jumps. Although 24 stepped is still practical enough in most cases. Much more common and affordable.

For brush contacts non-stepped pot TKD is also good.

The Muse has very good reputation indeed.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have Muses volume control in my DCG3 build and, IMO, it is a volume control of adequate quality for this preamplifier. First test build was equipped with Alps blue. It was a “meh” experience.

Meldano’s Muses 72320 volume control was next and that was a huge upgrade. My first impression was that sound stage is much improved and that sound at low levels was remaining more detailed and “live”, compared to some muddying effect with potentiometer. Remote control is big bonus.

Now I have Meldano’s latest Muses 72332 version with balance control and variable step regulation. Hell will freeze over before I use ordinary potentiometer again.
Minor miracle is that DigiKey has critical Muses 72323 chip in stock. They won’t last long.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have Muses volume control in my DCG3 build and, IMO, it is a volume control of adequate quality for this preamplifier. First test build was equipped with Alps blue. It was a “meh” experience.

Meldano’s Muses 72320 volume control was next and that was a huge upgrade. My first impression was that sound stage is much improved and that sound at low levels was remaining more detailed and “live”, compared to some muddying effect with potentiometer. Remote control is big bonus.

Now I have Meldano’s latest Muses 72332 version with balance control and variable step regulation. Hell will freeze over before I use ordinary potentiometer again.
Minor miracle is that DigiKey has critical Muses 72323 chip in stock. They won’t last long.
How many of these MUSE devices are needed, Two? Digikey is showing 40, I just ordered 2 just in case.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Preparing for the new power supply boards and kit from Teabag. Have read all 159 pages of the associated thread, (Ubib) marking and noting each reference to use in the DCG3, and typical problems members have had and the solutions. Several here have done this, so please feel free to discuss/reveal peculiarities using these power supplies with the DCG3, that might make this conversion successful.

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have yet to build a DCG3 (but do really want to...) so cannot comment on it specifically, but will agree with what Russellc says about the rest of the above.
You really want to build this one, just as impressive as the phono, they are very much working the same way....I've had this thing two thirds built for way to long. Can't believe I waited!

Russellc

I just want to give a short review/feedback. Bought a DCG3 a week ago, curious how it would stand up to my DCB1 and Krell KSP-7B.

It didn’t take long to hear that the DCG3 is something special. The parts I like in DCB1 (resolution, extension in frequency) and what I like in the Krell (dynamics, width/depth) is combined in the DCG3!!!

Thanks to Salas for incredible engineering and for sharing your knowledge 😊

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just want to give a short review/feedback. Bought a DCG3 a week ago, curious how it would stand up to my DCB1 and Krell KSP-7B.

It didn’t take long to hear that the DCG3 is something special. The parts I like in DCB1 (resolution, extension in frequency) and what I like in the Krell (dynamics, width/depth) is combined in the DCG3!!!

Thanks to Salas for incredible engineering and for sharing your knowledge 😊
Nice to know DCG3 successfully integrated in your system. Best of both worlds is rare to achieve. Using a Krell power amp as well? Some system picture to show?