Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

... The uPA is less Yfs more alike the 2SK117 and has great FET to FET in package curves consistency. The 389 is not as the K170 exactly. Its faster and has more slant curves. In the preamp there was no noise difference but the IMD was bit better with the uPA. K170 gave very low THD median but it rose up faster than the others towards HF due to its the more capacitive guy in that bunch.

Salas, do you know if anyone other than NEC producing the uPA68HA? The reason that I ask is that I have recently bought what had been promoted as NEC product that is marked SINGA on the back side. There are no NEC specific markings. Are these parts in fact NEC made in 'SINGA'PORE or a substitute?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Carl hi,

The versions I have, and I have not seen any other version offered, are those two in the picture I uploaded before. See post#31

The big one has the full old NEC logo and states Japan. The slim one has that company's characteristic old style "N" molded in its left side and states Singapore.

Here I attach their curves along the ones from a Linear Systems LSK389B that I measured for your reference. If you can't curve trace your type to compare, better use Linear Systems LSK170 or Toshiba 2SK170 matched singles that you may have if you are sure of their originality. They also work in this circuit.

Attachments

• 2016-10-18_214412.png
    2016-10-18_214412.png
    38 KB · Views: 973
  • 2016-10-18_215845.png
    2016-10-18_215845.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 868
Carl hi,

The versions I have, and I have not seen any other version offered, are those two in the picture I uploaded before. See post#31

The big one has the full old NEC logo and states Japan. The slim one has that company's characteristic old style "N" molded in its left side and states Singapore...

I'll stick the part that I have under magnification and take a look. I notice that these have a mold mark lower front left side. My parts are slim. Thanks!

Yes, 4 isolated secondaries on one transformer, gives the same isolation as two transformers with two isolated secondaries on each.

A slight advantage to using one larger size transformer is that you usually get a lower regulation. That leads to a smaller change in voltage as current demand changes.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Great! 2sk117GR are waiting :D Thanks Salas!

The original J3 (BF256B) runs 4.5-5mA with the R3 150R degeneration resistor. Its idss is averagely about double that figure. It was well steady for hot/cold arranged like that. I had twenty+ samples and all fell in the right range with that R3 value. I have tested also BF245B (discontinued) but its less predictable as it varies more for idss so it takes testing for different R3. Those are both fast RF type JFETs with good noise figures.

2SK117GR I haven't tested as J3. In any case it is not a low capacitance RF type and has more Yfs less NF. Don't know if it will behave as steady but surely it will not need some R3 because GRs have nominal idss in that area. They will need be hand picked for 4.5-5mA with 17V VDS and R3 to be a wire jumper.