Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2020, 05:30 PM   #1581
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

The BBB sounds like an interesting project!
Old 29th November 2020, 06:41 PM   #1582
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

"The BBB sounds like an interesting project! "

It could be! I have a BBB with a nice Hi rez touchscreen. The cost is $120 for the pair.
Old 29th November 2020, 06:58 PM   #1583
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Carl,

I have written this code in BASCOM-AVR for the Atmel mega/xmega. But the hardware can run any code from a compiler like Ardunio or gcc. I did this using a 4x40 LCD character display, since I am not a very good programmer, so try to make it simple. When you get into graphics displays then the real work begins with managing that aspect. I got as far as getting IR remotes to work and even made my own remote. Getting into have a cell phone control is yet another step up. It turns into one heck of a lot of code to do some pretty simple functions such as change the channel, vol up/down. If you want power on/off you need an auxillary PS or a MCU in sleep mode running off a super cap. Lots of options. Have fun

Rick
Old 29th November 2020, 07:01 PM   #1584
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

I find the BBB approach interesting. We can make the system a media player, if we add a network interface.

I know Carl didn't ask this, but I'm more interested in adding modules to make this preamp a digital+analog preamp. I would like to add a DAC (and I think my idea can be implemented without having to choose a specific DAC board) and digital inputs (at least 3), with each input being switchable either coax or Toslink. And I'd like the front panel input selector rotary switch to let me switch among digital and analog inputs seamlessly.

I feel a pure analog preamp is a little limited in today's context, and a DIY DAC + preamp is more useful.
Old 29th November 2020, 07:08 PM   #1585
Rick G is offline Rick G  United States
diyAudio Member

Carl,
YES but just a simple display. Already own 2 Dacs & a music server
Old 29th November 2020, 07:41 PM   #1586
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another option that might be worth looking at would be an ESP32. They have built in Ethernet and Bluetooth and are pretty powerful for only a few dollars. They are easy to program and there's lots of available examples to start from.

If anyone wants to add a music server, look at Arylic. Cheap and already has a nice network interface.
Old 29th November 2020, 08:16 PM   #1587
diyAudio Member

"Another option that might be worth looking at would be an ESP32...."

I am continuously amazed at how fast the cheap embedded processor market is changing. I struggle to keep up.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:54 PM   #1588
dine1967 is offline dine1967  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been working with Arduino Nano to run the remote control. so far I have been able to do the volume control (bourns motorpot), source selection and startup delay. Still working on implementing the mute switch. I plan to add a oled for display which should not present lot of issues. There are plenty of examples on the web and one can easily modify the code. All of this can be done without any major modifications to the existing selector pcb. I am replacing the mechanical selector with the remote board with all connection remaining the same.

Dinesh
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:33 PM   #1589
diyAudio Member

Dinesh,

I like your approach. The more I look at the BBB, the more that I question whether or not it is a good fit. My current mindset is to take an approach like yours and use a small motherboard in a separate chassis to do all of the DSP processing that I want to play with. I invite you to share your project on this thread.

Last edited by Carl_Huff; 3rd December 2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 17th December 2020, 11:42 AM   #1590
fvzeppelin is offline fvzeppelin  Germany
diyAudio Member

If I may throw my 5 cents into the topic:

This preamp is a wonderful example of an easy-to-build, high performance, low distortion piece of hardware.

Bringing high power controllers (like ARM chips, e.g. Raspberries or BBBs) into an audio device, there is always the challenge to keep distortion low and I doubt it is possible to do it with this preamp without audibly degrading its audio performance.

To make it short:
I also like Dinesh's approach with an IR remote and a small microcontroller (Atmel=easy tu use, Pic=cheaper). A DAC or streaming client or whatever else should peacefully reside in a different enclosure

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!