Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2020, 02:40 PM   #901
Nikon1975 is offline Nikon1975  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlim View Post
Davide, Great job with the Re-use!
The big question is: How does it sound?

John

Sounds very good, very silent.

This is my final simple mechanical implementation. The max gain is set to 0db.

D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0 2.jpeg (91.4 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpeg image1 2.jpeg (96.2 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpeg image2 2.jpeg (81.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 9th April 2020, 09:23 PM   #902
Nikon1975 is offline Nikon1975  Austria
diyAudio Member

Two questions: did someone heard/measured and difference between the 7812 regulators and the hypex?

What is a source of the hypex regulators that does not charge 70 euros for shipment in Europe?

Regards,

Davide
Old 10th April 2020, 12:59 AM   #903
Mike2 is offline Mike2  United States
diyAudio Member

So, I have my 64-step VolCB assembled and ready to test. However, I forgot to pickup a rotary encoder. What would be a good encoder for this? I plan to start with Alex's Arduino sketch. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2020, 05:41 PM   #904
maartn is offline maartn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Davide, I got mine from DIYclassd.com, which is Hypex’s own webshop. Not sure anymore what shipping cost exactly, but I am sure that it was a lot less than €70!
Old 11th April 2020, 09:09 PM   #905
alexcp is offline alexcp  United States
diyAudio Member

DIYclassd's shipping costs are weird. If you ship within the Netherlands, it is €8.70 - expensive, but not overly so. If you ship to the U.S., it is €38. Ok, this is crossing the ocean, so it is not unreasonable. If you ship to Austria, is an astonishing €63. Since a pair of HxR12 is just €30, it makes no sense to pay that much for shipping.

I would just use 7812/7912 until a better opportunity arises. Not too difficult to desolder those 3-pin TO220's if need be.

Otherwise, you may consider +/-15V shunt regulators from tentlabsshop.com - they are more than twice as expensive, but the shop only charges €13 for shipping, so the total is (a little bit) less. Note they are much taller, too. Not sure how relays will work at 15V though.

Another alternative is to use offboard regulators. It is not as elegant, but since you need to place the transformer somewhere, why not place your power supply in the same place? You can consider, for example, Walt Jung's universal shunt regulator boards I offer, or the Super Reg boards (same thing but series, not shunt) here in the diyAudio Store, or even Ti's TPS7A3001/TPS7A4901 evaluation module (TPS7A30-49EVM-567) - it is only $20 for two rails. You will need to change two resistors to get +/-12V in the EVM.

Last edited by alexcp; 11th April 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12th April 2020, 02:49 AM   #906
tjencks is offline tjencks  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jung Super Reg vs. hypex Regs

I have both Hypex regs being discussed here as well as the Walt Jung Super Reg shunts from Sjostrom audio.

Likely tough to tell the difference in either case but given the choice of the two which would be best ?

Not in terms of convenience of implementation but quality of regulation for this particular use case?
Old 12th April 2020, 06:45 AM   #907
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I use one of Jan's Silent Switchers.
High performance and difficult to beat in terms of space saving and versatility.
Build not intended for my living room, but for my audio lab
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0833.jpg (353.1 KB, 209 views)
Old 12th April 2020, 01:03 PM   #908
pixelpusher is offline pixelpusher  United States
diyAudio Member

I like it! How do you control the volume? Is that a pot?
Old 15th April 2020, 04:00 AM   #909
noviygera is offline noviygera  United States
diyAudio Member

What would be the proper way of connecting RCA jacks to the inputs, since my sources are all unbalanced at this point?
Old 15th April 2020, 09:04 AM   #910
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'm frequently questioned concerning the IM23TS relay that I used for the volume control boards.
These relays were long time out of stock, but momentarily Farnell has a few thousands of them.

But in case using another relay, be aware that the PCF8574AT driver can only sink 80mA.
So with 6 relays, that's a max of 13mA per relay.
However the pin replaceable PCA8574AD can sink 200mA or 33mA per relay giving you more options for a relay selection.

Hans

BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)Hide this!Advertise here!