Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2016, 07:03 AM   #621
danielwritesbac is offline danielwritesbac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Hi Dan, tell me if you want a pair of Kuartlotron boards. I still feel a bit guilty about your disappointment with the Kuartlotron, with it not being a bass enhancer and all... But I swear, that one time it really did!
I actually needed an excellent buffer for a different project. Your buffer was the only one that was helpful. So, I'm grateful for it.
It did not change the tone or resolution (I said that earlier in a funny way).
Also, it doesn't put gain on its power, so providing adequate power was much easier and lower cost too.

Not having to finesse the power as much as an amplifier or preamp would need, was a really wonderful convenience, that I hadn't seen before.

I'm not disappointed in the buffer, and I don't need boards because I can build them coin size almost as fast as I could solder boards.

P.S.
However, I'm ever so curious about that lost, early, prototype. It had a surprisingly tiny parts count for the job it was doing.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:39 AM   #622
danielwritesbac is offline danielwritesbac  United States
diyAudio Member

What I said is that this is the very best buffer, and I proofed it excessively, to be certain that this is the very best buffer. I'm sure.
Old 6th August 2016, 05:28 PM   #623
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have complaints about the PCBs? Eventually I may want to order more and can make some changes.
Old 7th August 2016, 12:23 AM   #624
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm having some trouble trying to solder the miniature 'donuts' on the underneath - you could double the size and also double the clearance between these and the ground plane and mask

Increase the space for resistors up to about 10mm so can fit 0.4W and 0.6W units

Change the tracks to the bottom layer and the ground plane to the top layer - maybe also add 0volt tracks for the power caps, separate to Gnd plane and signal gnd

Increase the allowed space for the capacitors - up to 16mm for the Nichi BPs, BGs, etc - at present limited choice by small space

Move the input/output connections closer to edge &/or separate signal and power terminals - also, move test point TP to outer edge and R11?

Allow room for 12mm PP, styrene, etc cap (C3 - 15pF)

Perhaps 2 designs, one for large resistors/caps/board and another for small smd version?

We all have different ways of doing pcbs so above the suggestions are just suggestions

All the best ...
Old 7th August 2016, 02:01 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

You don't want pins going through a ground plane for EMC reasons, otherwise I may have made the top the ground plane.

The I/Os are meant to be compatible with terminal blocks, since some people insisted on it. It certainly helps with experimenting. Maybe I should reclaim some space by making the blocks bottom mount? That would help with many of your suggestions, which require more space.

Signal ground, capacitor return and ground plane are separate already, although it may not be obvious.
Old 7th August 2016, 02:51 AM   #626
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ah, I didn't now there was EMC problems with holes in a ground plane - doesn't apply to the component holes? Ideally, smd components only on the one layer?

Can bigger clearance holes, irregular shaped apertures, slotted/sectional planes (as per Tentlabs), etc reduce the EMC reasons or does any/all perforations create problems? [Is it a design protocol and how significant to sound quality would it be to ignore it?]

Maybe a bigger size would be a reasonable compromise - it is a very tidy, neat little board

Perhaps you could include spacing for some right angled terminal blocks for top/bottom mounting too - not sure if you can easily get them with 7 pins but maybe 4 & 3?

Ah, signal ground (SG) 'via' to ground plane (and PG) for R7 and C3.
Old 7th August 2016, 03:28 AM   #627
Destroyer OS is offline Destroyer OS  United States
diyAudio Member

I asked about the size of resistors because 1/4w was a little tight, but I think .4/.6w is a bit excessive. Is it easy to get different 15pf caps that size? I looked and it was mica or ceramic with Mouser. I prefer film that smooths out signal in the case of being a bypass for over the audio band.

Although I have to say a second PG via wouldn't hurt, I just soldered mine together on the bottom.

Wouldn't price go up if they aren't printed on the DirtyPCB 5x5?
Old 7th August 2016, 03:48 AM   #628
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

I'll 2nd the size of the pads on the bottom. I haven't started soldering yet, but I think they'll be a small bit of a challenge.

I'm not one to usually go cap rolling or resistor rolling on boards, so I have no complaints as I'll go with what you specified for the board.

Only other thing that I can think of is that I'm not used to seeing such a thin board but I suppose this was a performance consideration that guided you to make the board with that thickness. All in all, I'm happy with what I got.
Old 7th August 2016, 05:43 PM   #629
Destroyer OS is offline Destroyer OS  United States
diyAudio Member

I found in order to solder on the bottom with small pads that it was easy to put a drop on my soldering iron tip when it's at the lead and roll it on. I guess they are small but doing this technique I had no issue.
Old 7th August 2016, 06:02 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

I only have problems with it when my soldering iron is dirty. Put some solder on it to break the layer of crust, or wipe it off with a paper towel or cloth.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbufferHide this!Advertise here!