Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2014, 06:02 PM   #151
danielwritesbac is online now danielwritesbac  United States
diyAudio Member

1 strong enough to run the rectifier and regulators which are a much more significant load than the buffers, 2 yes at slightly reduced performance, 3 you can use the values printed instead of the trimmers if you attempt to hfe match the transistors fairly close, 4 about 15 turns of 20ga around 1 AA battery will make the right size coil (the battery is not part of the circuit--tape the wire on it and then rotate the battery to form the coil, and then put the battery back in the clock).
Old 13th March 2014, 01:49 AM   #152
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

danielwritesbac,
you have been most helpful. Hope to start this weekend !!
thanks

kp93300
Old 13th March 2014, 10:55 PM   #153
taisho_daniel is offline taisho_daniel  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi keantoken,

In your write up, you mentioned that R9 could be made into a trimmer if we wanted to trim for less DC offset.

Since there's no 2.7M trimmer where I buy stuff, I was planning on making this into a fixed resistor in series with a trimmer. Which combination would be better? A 2.4M fixed resistor with 300k trimmer, or a 2.5M trimmer with a 200k fixed?

Thanks

About the low pass filter, from what I understand that it can be anywhere in the analog stage, so I was thinking of just placing it at the single ended output of the Kuartlotron, both to simplify the implementation to the schematic I've seen, as well as to save up on parts.

Last edited by taisho_daniel; 13th March 2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 14th March 2014, 12:55 AM   #154
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

The offset trimmer can be anywhere from 2M to 4M. It is rarely more than 3M. I chose 2.7M as the most common value. I would use a 2M resistor with 2M or more trimmer, or something close. Your 2.5M trimmer is fine.

Last edited by keantoken; 14th March 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 14th March 2014, 12:58 AM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisho_daniel View Post
About the low pass filter, from what I understand that it can be anywhere in the analog stage, so I was thinking of just placing it at the single ended output of the Kuartlotron, both to simplify the implementation to the schematic I've seen, as well as to save up on parts.
This will work, but the DAC already has a 390R or so output resistance, so you could put a cap across the outputs. I think this would be better because it stops noise closer to the source.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:47 AM   #156
taisho_daniel is offline taisho_daniel  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
The offset trimmer can be anywhere from 2M to 4M. It is rarely more than 3M. I chose 2.7M as the most common value. I would use a 2M resistor with 2M or more trimmer, or something close. Your 2.5M trimmer is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken
This will work, but the DAC already has a 390R or so output resistance, so you could put a cap across the outputs. I think this would be better because it stops noise closer to the source.
Thanks, will do.

I was double checking my parts bin and found that I don't have enough 470uF caps. Since I'm ordering caps anyway, is there a preference for cap characteristics? Low ESR caps like Panasonic FMs? Would 'boutique' caps like Elna Silmic IIs or Nichicon Muses make a difference? (From the write up I saw that Joachim used this in his implem). I also saw OS-CON SEPCs at the online store that are within the voltage range.
Old 14th March 2014, 08:24 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

I have no preference. My prototype uses Pana FC, mainly because they were what I have. I haven't thought the caps could be a problem.
Old 21st March 2014, 04:21 PM   #158
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I find that I don't want to take the time and effort to try different brands of caps, waiting for them to 'burn-in' etc. so I just buy Nichicon MUSE caps and don't worry about them.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st March 2014, 04:31 PM   #159
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Is there likely to be a possibility to buy boards for this design?
Old 21st March 2014, 04:55 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

I would like to offer boards/kits, but I need to do a PCB design and work out the logistics. This is in competition with a few other projects I'm working on. Here are some layouts I made when using the Kuartlotron to test gEDA.
Attached Images
File Type: png KuartlotronTestLayouts.png (41.4 KB, 806 views)

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbufferHide this!Advertise here!