• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ZOUDIO AIO4CH: 4-channel amplifier with DSP and Bluetooth

Nice little amp - this is the future!

I got my Zoudio a couple days ago. Had prepped my phone with a few album selections in flac and bought a player from the Apple app store. I'm ready to go.

I had a 28V power supply with 12A capability from a previous employ, which I dialed down to 22.5. I simply mounted the amp to the power supply case using the 4 stick-on posts provided. See photo -

A driver was needed for the programmer to connect to my PC based HT. I also needed to download Java runtime; after doing so I was up and running. You can program filter parameters with the amp powered off.

Jesse stated in a PM "You can build an LR4 from biquad filters by stacking two biquads with Q=0.71". So this is what I set out to do first - just to get 100Hz LP and HP outputs going; OB compensation for the assist woofer would come later.

Setting up the filter stacks is easy, using the GUI interface. Connect, upload and save the setting to a file on the PC. Disconnect, unplug the programmer cable. Firing it up for the first time, made a small chime sound which is quite convenient. Connected straight away to the iphone 6.

Figuring out the player I bought took a couple minutes, but soon music was in the air. The sound is crystal clear with all the imaging artifacts that I love so much are in place and vivid! I could live with this easily and just get rid of all the other tube amps, DACs and the miniDSP.

But of course the bass is off. I need a response that rises upward from 60 to 30, so I setup three "peak" filters, one +10 db @ 25, one +5 db @ 50 and one +2.5 db @ 75Hz. This got the bass back where it should be and made the system much more listenable than w/o this compensation.

The only thing missing is my FR speaker voicing convolution filter I'm running in Daphille. It looks like I'll be loading that into EqualizerAPO under Windows, once I get a hold of a Bluetooth adapter for the PC. Need to follow up with some measurements.

Bravo on this amp's sound - and versatility! Clearly the way of the future - Look Ma, no capacitors - flac file to speaker VC!

I'd like to connect the amp as a USB DAC instead of via Bluetooth - is there any valid reason for pursuing this?

A few responses back, lutkeveld said the main switching frequency can be lowered for a bit better sound at the expense of idle current. What's the command string to do this and go back - or, is it in the GUI?

Attachments

• Zoudio Amp on TDK.jpg
    Zoudio Amp on TDK.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Well, I finally managed to test it, and honestly I am quite disappointed....

There is a very clear hissing or some kind of static noise in the background even though I use a battery. I have already tried the analog input, but that somehow made it even worse!
The output power isn't very high either, and it really can't handle bigger speaker drivers than 3INCH, not even mentioning that it doesn't get loud at all.
The DSP is also very limiting with only 5 equalizers per channel. It's hard to even call it a DSP with so little adjustability IMHO.
Clearly, wherever money could be saved, money is saved... I mean, the PCB isn't even black, or any other color than the standard cheap green!
On the plus side, it was relatively easy to tune the DSP even though there are only 5 equalizers and a few crossovers....

For the amount of money you pay, I think you get way too little, especially since there is another board called FXTREME DB450 with way more features and a SigmaDSP at its core, which has over 20 times the DSP power!

All in all not worth the price in any way, shape or form. If they lowered the price to say 50USD and solved all the problems with the product I might try again but certainly not if there are no changes.

I have now bought the FXTREME DB450 instead, which I will give my honest review on when it arrives.

You have 15 peak or notch filters as eq.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just a note - the green color is not anything to complain about. It is as good as any other color. And your statement that it cannot power more than 3 inch speakers is just plain nonsense - the amplifier power need has no relation to speaker size.

It sounds more like you have a defect board.

The board has its limitation (for me it is the low delay time), but I think it is worth the money and will maybe buy one to try out for another project.

@Manudrz
The I2S input is 44.1/48k 24 bit.
Pins are labeled on the board (data, wordselect, clock)
Documentation (datasheet) can be found on the product page.
Im working on THD measurements, are there any specifically that you are interested in?

@jjasniew
Good to hear!
It is indeed possible to lower the switching frequency.
I will look up the steps and commands today and send you a PM.
The BT module has some USB-DAC functionallity, but the software and hardware is not meant for it to be used.

@Sjeuwhald
Sorry to hear that. A small amount of hissing could be possible, depending on the audio source, dsp settings and/or PSU. But if the hissing is very clear it could be defective. Send me an email at info@zoudio.com and we can sort it out.

A green PCB has the same quality as a black one and the price difference is neglible. I will maybe switch to black later, but that is purely for looks.

As Solve pointed out, it has 15 equalizers and 5 crossovers per channel, which is plenty for most applications. But if for some reason you have a lot more filters, you indeed need a SigmaDSP

And your statement that it cannot power more than 3 inch speakers is just plain nonsense - the amplifier power need has no relation to speaker size.

It sounds more like you have a defect board.

I agree. I'm driving two 8 ohm, 15" speakers plus two 4 ohm, 18" speakers. They're a lot bigger than "3". I can easily drive them loud enough that I get complaints.

Speaking of which, regarding the programmable filters, I'd only complain if no matter what I did, I couldnt get the necessary compensation for OB woofer assist. I may have achieved it - only measurements will tell. Beyond that, for my case more elaborate filtering isnt needed -

My amp sounds quite good, compared to other modern digital converters and filter hardware which I fully expected to "all sound the same to my ears by now". They do not, so I assume I'm taking a chance on anything I purchase w/o audition. Pleasantly surprised by the result of this "gamble".

The 15"s I have connected are 97db efficiency. I'll check for the hiss. The iPhone apps connect / disconnect and power on / off thumps are barely noticeable.

Thank-you for the tip on that other amplifier design - I didnt know it even existed. I do have reliability concerns, particularly if / when I start shedding my other equipment. Of course I'd like a backup, but if the MTBF of these things is something like 100K hours, at 63 I probably need not worry.

Attachments

• DSC02043.jpg
    DSC02043.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
So, I had a look at the DB450 and it uses the ADAU1701 for DSP - the same as my miniDSP.

I didnt like the sound of the 2X4 miniDSP. I tried to fix it by upgrading the I/O decoupling caps, external power supply; it remained unsatisfactory compared to a wire. Now, this could be the A/D => D/A process I was stuck with and I might find it better if I could ...simply connect to it via USB like any DAC. Read it's possible, not so simple to actually accomplish.

The ADAU1701 gives me pause on that product, even though it's probably used quite differently than in the 2X4 miniDSP. I'd never think in a million years that there would be differences I could hear across DSP engines and their associated DACs, but, well, suffice to say I cant believe (in this day and age) it's still something to sort through.

Last edited:
@ lutkeveld,

Is there a convenient place on the PCB where I can tap off 5V? I need to power another module I'm using with the Zoudio. I've tested some of the DIP sockets on the board, but can't find 5V yet - except for a pin on the programmer connector. Any other places?

BTW, it's a cool little gadget/DSP/amp. I'm using it primarily for a little amp fed by a little network streamer. I think it sounds very nice too.