Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

Oh, now I see it. DC offset goes to the gates of J2, J3 and J9 and not the drains. My mistake.
About input impedance. You mean 15R rather than 15k right?

I'm sorry I thought you meant output impedance of the DAC circuit being fed into the I-V. The input impedance has been discussed in EUVL's paper as well as this thread.

How would you go about calculating it?

All these were discussed 4 years ago in a lot of details :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...minimalistic-iv-converter-28.html#post3393695

The reason why we never bothered to publish is that the cascoded version is prone to oscillations.
So too troublesome for the public.

The simplest way to build a SEN today is to use 4~8x 2SK209 in parallel.
Very hard to beat for capacitances, and very tolerant for Vds voltages.
All Idss grades readily available at Digikey.
Just make sure you have gate stoppers for each FET, and thermally couple them.

Patrick

Do you find the SW-OPA to be as prone to oscillation? (without gate stoppers on the BF862, and cascoded with J111)

Far enough though, I do have a stoppered version, and turns out this also lends itself to voltage offset correction, so even better.

Not that the 2SK209 isn't also a good option.

Hello Patrick,

Gate stopper like this?

JP

Attachments

• 2SK209_I_V_Converter.jpg
    2SK209_I_V_Converter.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 621
After having moved my dac was not used for over a year. When I finally got the stereo unpacked again everything seemed to work fine although I thought I heard it clip sometimes. After a while i sometimes lost one phase on one channel. I had Riv and Civ on small perf boards close to the xlr connectors. A track on the perf board was loose causing problem. I then decided to redo the Riv and Civ with a new board and new components (same value for Riv but Civ changed from 300pF Mica to 3300pF styroflex). After that I had distortion on both channels. I thought I made something wrong with Riv and Civ so I removed the perf board and soldered them p2p to the xlr connectors (used new components) but that did not help.

I checked everything and noted that the batteries only gave around 12V (16 AAA), they had been deeply discharged when not used for a long time. I replaced the batteries but the distortion was still there. I then found that the avcc ofbthe buffalo board was oscillating on both channels. A known problem with the version of avcc regulator I have so I solved that by adding caps to the op amp according to instructions found on the twisted pear forum. But the distortion was still there.

I noted that if I reduce the volume in the digital domain in the source (raspberry pi or laptop) the distortion will disappear.

I removed the SEN from the dac and connected the buffalo outputs directly to the xlr connectors via 10uF caps to remove the dc offset and then there is no distortion at all.

I connected the SEN to a signal generator through a 180 ohm resistor to simulate the output from the es9018 (should be 195 ohm but I did not have any). Vref was connected to 1.6 V to get the offset right. I have attached two photis of the oscilloscope. The first the yellow trace is the output from signal generator and the blue is the output from the SEN after Riv. It looks like the sine wave is distorted in the lower part. I have seen the same when playing a sine wave from the laptop to the SEN via the dac. The second photo shows what happens when I reduce the amplitude of the sine wave. It then looks like the distortion disappears.

I am running out if ideas and would really appreciate some help from you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170504_201106.jpg
    IMG_20170504_201106.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_20170504_201203.jpg
    IMG_20170504_201203.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_20170504_202130.jpg
    IMG_20170504_202130.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 470
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After having moved my dac was not used for over a year. When I finally got the stereo unpacked again everything seemed to work fine although I thought I heard it clip sometimes. After a while i sometimes lost one phase on one channel. I had Riv and Civ on small perf boards close to the xlr connectors. A track on the perf board was loose causing problem. I then decided to redo the Riv and Civ with a new board and new components (same value for Riv but Civ changed from 300pF Mica to 3300pF styroflex). After that I had distortion on both channels. I thought I made something wrong with Riv and Civ so I removed the perf board and soldered them p2p to the xlr connectors (used new components) but that did not help.

I checked everything and noted that the batteries only gave around 12V (16 AAA), they had been deeply discharged when not used for a long time. I replaced the batteries but the distortion was still there. I then found that the avcc ofbthe buffalo board was oscillating on both channels. A known problem with the version of avcc regulator I have so I solved that by adding caps to the op amp according to instructions found on the twisted pear forum. But the distortion was still there.

I noted that if I reduce the volume in the digital domain in the source (raspberry pi or laptop) the distortion will disappear.

I removed the SEN from the dac and connected the buffalo outputs directly to the xlr connectors via 10uF caps to remove the dc offset and then there is no distortion at all.

I connected the SEN to a signal generator through a 180 ohm resistor to simulate the output from the es9018 (should be 195 ohm but I did not have any). Vref was connected to 1.6 V to get the offset right. I have attached two photis of the oscilloscope. The first the yellow trace is the output from signal generator and the blue is the output from the SEN after Riv. It looks like the sine wave is distorted in the lower part. I have seen the same when playing a sine wave from the laptop to the SEN via the dac. The second photo shows what happens when I reduce the amplitude of the sine wave. It then looks like the distortion disappears.

I am running out if ideas and would really appreciate some help from you.

Maybe I am a little dense, but if a change of Civ from 300pF to 3300pF causes distortion, why do you suspect a perf board or power supply??

Jan

Jan/Patrick,

I have the same problem if I remove Civ.

When I could not find an obvious reason for the distortion I decided to check everything I could think of. I did not suspect psu problems as such.

I measured bias on one phase and it was 34mA. I thought it was ok since it is within 2xIdss for V grade 2sk369. I do not remember the idss of my fets but I bought them from Mark. Do you think it is too low? I will measure bias on the rest of them on Monday, left them at work since I have better equipment there.

Many thanks for helping me out

Then I understand the circuit, thanks Patrick.

The 32.6 mA i have measured as bias in my SEN should correspond to Idss of 16.3 mA per 2sk369 which would then be within the range of V grade. But I got the impression that your opinion was that 32.6 mA is too low for the es9018s 18mA p-p output?

I get it, thanks Patrick.

I recently decided to learn how to design my own PCBs using Kicad. As an exercise i figured it could be fun to make a layout for the 2sk209 version you mentioned would be the first choice today. So I am not sure whether to continue fault tracing the existing SEN or spend the time to make a new 2sk209 version instead. If some of the 2sk369s are broken I will probably not be able to find any replacements anyway.