Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

I like BC550,560, sure. They have high Hfe and this is also very linear over a wide range of idle. They have some early effect though but that is not a problem with common base.
They have high Rbee though of around 130 Ohm. That is not a problem in most I/U converters i think. To lower that you can parallel them in a Faulkner arrangement. The 15mA you chose is also not the null in distortion. That happens when you run each transistor at about 5.5mA. So you could parallel 3 plus 3 BC550,560 each run on 5.5mA.

Hi,

Patrick, I certainly won´t put my veto in for Your circuit in #238. Anybody should feel free to evaluate this not so young circuit. ;)
I do doubt though that it is easy practicable circuit. The double current mirrors are prone to oscillation and need very tight tolerated/matched parts. I´d rather prefer the simple structure with caps, that promises stable working and easier success.
The offset of the bipolar CEN is very low already. It might present a problem with direct coupled MC pickups but not with DACs. The voltage compliance of DACs allows app. +-1V. In BB/TI-DACs this voltage is limited to the Vf of the protection diodes. As long as the voltage swing at the CENs input remain below a couple of dozens of mV there´s no influence on the DACs THD figures.
As Joachim already told, the BCs run well on low idle currents around 5mA. current gain and saturation voltage raise above ~10mA of collector current. For higher currents the Zetex ZTX650, ZTX689, ZTX690 etc. and their complements might be interesting.

jauu
Calvin

Last edited:
EUVL, cancelation of distortion in BJT´s is best when they run on 2/3 Gm theoretically.
That is as far as i remember for third order intermodulation. Other bias conditions can cancel other order distortion so it is a bit complicated. BJT´s in general profit more from degeneration then Fets. When you degenerate Fets too much they develop a complex spectrum. This is different in BJts. See the PDF. This is about BJT´s.

Attachments

• third_order_supp.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 288
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Jawohl! Boyk and Sussman is a great paper, and particularly notable for Boyk allowing that bipolars might not be so bad after all (if you recall, Jim had T shirts made that stated "Digital Finishes What The Transistor Began").

Now to test their simulations with real parts...

Each of the 8 differential DACs has an output impedance of about 800 Ohms, but if you use the ESS9018 in stereo mode, like in the Buffalo2, you have about 195 Ohms, and 16mAp-p signal current max riding on top of 8mADC wehn using 0 Ohm load. In mono mode, the ESS9018 has its DACs in parallel giving twice the stereo mode current.

AFAIK, most people are using the ESS9018 in either mono mode or stereo mode.

Joachim,

The ES9018 has a low output impedance of about 800R.
So let's go as far as we can and aim to do Zin < 1R.
Since it is CEN, the PNP & NPN are in parallel for the signal.
That is why I chose E153 as current source (15mA bias), so that Zin is about 0R8.
This has the same function as your BF245 with trimmer.
E153 are widely used in Japan for powering LEDs.
I am sure Davide would be able to get them if necessary.

I was hoping to get zero DC offset by perfect matching.
Anyhow, the schematics demonstrates how it can fulfill all the functional requirements.

Patrick

It´s not so much the amount of Gm but the shape of it that is important for low distortion plus the correct topology that takes advantage of the Fets gain curve.
See the simulations on a circuit i designed with only one pair of Fets with EUVLs matching trick and my current mirror with cascode. We got -95dB, mostly 2nd harmonic with a gain of 60dB without any loop feedback.

Attachments

• Naked_Truth_MC_Mirror_with_Cascode_2.1.TSC_-_thd2.png
    Naked_Truth_MC_Mirror_with_Cascode_2.1.TSC_-_thd2.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,268
Here is the datasheet´s information about the ESS9018 analog outputs.
In Stereo mode, you have 4X the currents, and in mono mode, 8X.

50-100mADC idle would be good to have for stereo mode.

What is the (current) signal amplitude ?

Patrick

Attachments

• ESS9018 Analog Output.gif
    ESS9018 Analog Output.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,178
  • ESS9018 Analog Output Note 1.gif
    ESS9018 Analog Output Note 1.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,165
Last edited: