Your opinions are sought on Audio Power Amplifier Design: 6th Edition. Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Since power consumption regulations are enforced on TV manufactures, I believe it is only a matter of time before similar requirements are put on audio equipment.

This will heavily influence the solutions that manufacturers can pick and choose from – and will bring up a lot of interesting technical challenges.

Variable rails (Class G like) is looking more and more interesting to bring down idle losses across the whole audio amplifier field – maybe using the latest SMPS technology solutions can be found to provide the audio quality we all would like while maintaining a reasonable power consumption level.

Best regards
Jens

Class G will be used only by those hanging on to what they know. For the rest, it's all going to be Class D, especially for consumer applications. Hopefully, the law makers will carve out space for other options for the low volume boutique crowd. If you think about it, this will have an impact on the kinds of parts that will be manufactured in high quantities (i.e. readily available and inexpensive) verses those that are not (think tubes, LatFETs, ClassAB chip-amps, whopping great power transformers etc.). The silver lining is that there will be some amazing switching FETs available that will do double duty for us in our non-switching DIY projects (think SiC, GaN as well as good ole Silicon).

Last edited:
Class G will be used only by those hanging on to what they know. For the rest, it's all going to be Class D, especially for consumer applications. Hopefully, the law makers will carve out space for other options for the low volume boutique crowd. If you think about it, this will have an impact on the kinds of parts that will be manufactured in high quantities (i.e. readily available and inexpensive) verses those that are not (think tubes, LatFETs, ClassAB chip-amps, whopping great power transformers etc.). The silver lining is that there will be some amazing switching FETs available that will do double duty for us in our non-switching DIY projects (think SiC, GaN as well as good ole Silicon).

To bring Class D idle consumption down, something must be done...

I'm testing a Class D amp using GaN (on silicon) right now.... 50V switch in 4ns :-D

The problem with GaN is that the great switching speeds means that normal packages for power mosfets will be useless due to high inductance levels, so they will have to be pin-less packages like e.g. BGA or similar. - not DIY grade components.

\\\Jens

I dare say that advanced Class D will not be suitable for the casual DIY'er. But we will still be building our DIY Class A and Class AB amplifiers using NOS transistors and tubes, plus taking advantage of new switching FETs that do still have legs on 'em. And DIY'ers are a resourceful bunch, they'll find a way :)

Hi Bigun,

Yes I was working on this with Hugh from Aspen but unfortunately it never got to see its way into a commercial product as health issues intervened :(. I've done much work on it since then to get the best out of it, and it's an astounding open loop buffer which is like listening to class A but without the heat and inefficiency. The other feature is it literally allows you to roll input stages since it's out of the loop :).

Colin

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I will be really surprised if class A/AB is banned.

If you pareto energy wasters, there are far more worse things - think heating, airconditioning, cars etc. A PC chews up 250W while a class AB amp (even a big one) is probably no more than 40~50W on average.

But, lawmakers for the most part are ********, so I suspect if they can find something to pass a law on, they will, no matter what the misery is that they will bring to bona fide music lovers . . . .

Objective testing

I am afraid you understand it wrong. The MAIN NOISE SOURCES in a power amplifier are...

Try it and then decide.

I am not that competant to explain further, but I can tell you I am not the only person who has heard it.

For minimum and quick evaluation, you can use a pair of batteries in an appropriate circuit.

Yes, the circuit I used has a zener for reference.

Gajanan Phadte

This point actually grabbed my interest. I disagree with the statement that zeners and LEDs "mask" the signal because of the noise increase, so I will run a series of tests with regards to this.
I've got a pro-grade microphone amplifier (Behringer MIC200, s/n >120 db, 26-60 db adjustable gain). Attached schematic will be connected to its input and then I measure the noise floor, having zener, LED, diode, resistor, battery, etc. at the place of D1, adjusting the CCS quiescent current to, let say, 2 mA for each setup, without touching the gain. Test circuit will be powered from the regulated PSU +/- 24V DC.

What do you think? Will it make sense?

Cheers,
Valery

P.S. I can also sent the same signal to the input and publish the output spectrum for each option... would be fun to see if there is some difference visible ;)

Attachments

• Zener.JPG
    Zener.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
I've done much work on it since then to get the best out of it, and it's an astounding open loop buffer

It would be a shame if it stopped there so I hope you have the chance to pursue this one day.

I would like to make a tube + buffer and currently my plans are to use a complementary CFP buffer (think Nelson Pass F5 whiteout gain).

Does the new D Self book cover this ?

Last edited:
There are quite a few designs floating around on this forum that show sub ppm distortion using push pull TIS.
And have any been built and measured?

However, unsymmetrical slew rate, unsymmetrical drive are two distinct disadvantages I can think of, so I don't think you can sweep it aside. Ditto CFA.
Oh yes I can. As I've explained in APAD6, symmetrical slew limits are the last thing you want. And I am still waiting to see any convincing explanation of why CFA could be an improvement.

Give us facts Doug, and not opinions :)
Now this I take exception to. I defy you to name any other detailed account of power amplifiers that gives more hard facts and less hand-waving. And of course APAD6 contains real measurements of real amplifiers rather than mere simulations.

Yes, we also can use a math in order to calculate the Early Voltage.
All we need is to use the straight line equations y = mx + b. If y is Ic and x is Vce, then you can find the Early Voltage by solving the resulting equation for Ic = 0.

It's worth bearing in mind that treating Early voltage as a single figure, and so assuming a straight line, is just an approximation. See Figure 7.13 in APAD6.
There has been precious little published on this.

Anybody got a good test setup for measuring Early voltage without a curve-tracer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.