Yet another ultra low noise high PSRR LDO - LT3042

Can some one explain me how the fast startup work ?
Does it mean that when the PGFB pin hits 0.3V it will disable disable the 'fast charging' ?

I set the 3042 at 15v. so i have spare of cset 150k resistor i want to use to set Fast startup.

If I use 150k + 50k divider it means I am dumping a 75% of the output voltage (since the voltage divider is connected to Vout pin), so it will hit 0.3v at the PGFB pin (and stop fast charging) when the Vout pin is at 1.2V. Or does it mean I have set up fast charging at 75% ?

0.3v is 2% of 15v. if i want to set the PGFB pin to be at 0.3V when I hit 15Vout, I need 150k+3K voltage divider ?
You need to set up the voltage divider such that taking into account all tolerances, the voltage at PGFB is above 309 mV when the output has settled. 150 kohm and 3 kohm would therefore not work, 150 kohm and 3.3 kohm should work when you use accurate resistors, 150 kohm and 3.9 kohm should work when the resistors are not that accurate. With 150 kohm and 3.9 kohm, it would typically fast charge up to 300 mV * (150 kohm + 3.9 kohm)/3.9 kohm ~= 11.8385 V and then settle slowly from there.

How do you keep the input voltage in the correct range (about 15.8 V to 20 V, assuming 1 % set resistor tolerance)? With a preregulator?
Thank you.

No, I was planning on keeping it simple, a single center tapped secondary of 24VAC (30*1.33=39Vrms), a single bridge rectifier, 2 CRC filter (1 for the negative rail to the lt3094) like this :
https://electroschematics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/12-VOLT-DUAL-POWER-SUPPLY.jpgOr maybe should I use 2 bridge rectifiers like this :
https://www.diyaudio.com/archive/bl...1498953002-dual-bridge-rectifier-pcb-dbrb.png
Having 2 bridge rectifiers is the superior method, probably less ripple ?
I did not plan on adding pre regulators, Do you recommend pre regulator ? the load will be pretty light a dual opamp in a single package.

Last edited:
Thank you.

No, I was planning on keeping it simple, a single center tapped secondary of 24VAC (30*1.33=39Vrms), a single bridge rectifier, 2 CRC filter (1 for the negative rail to the lt3094) like this :
https://electroschematics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/12-VOLT-DUAL-POWER-SUPPLY.jpgOr maybe should I use 2 bridge rectifiers like this :
https://www.diyaudio.com/archive/bl...1498953002-dual-bridge-rectifier-pcb-dbrb.png
Having 2 bridge rectifiers is the superior method, probably less ripple ?
I did not plan on adding pre regulators, Do you recommend pre regulator ? the load will be pretty light a dual opamp in a single package.
You need something like 15.8 V to keep the regulator out of dropout and the maximum recommended input voltage for the LT3045 is 20 V. With +/- 10 % mains voltage tolerance and with the ripple voltage that you will get, I don't see how you can keep it in such a narrow range without some preregulator. You could for example use a run-of-the-mill 18 V LDO to protect the LT3045 against too high input voltages. It doesn't matter when the 18 V LDO goes into dropout at low mains voltages, just as long as the momentary input voltage of the LT3045 stays well above 15.8 V.

You need something like 15.8 V to keep the regulator out of dropout and the maximum recommended input voltage for the LT3045 is 20 V. With +/- 10 % mains voltage tolerance and with the ripple voltage that you will get, I don't see how you can keep it in such a narrow range without some preregulator. You could for example use a run-of-the-mill 18 V LDO to protect the LT3045 against too high input voltages. It doesn't matter when the 18 V LDO goes into dropout at low mains voltages, just as long as the momentary input voltage of the LT3045 stays well above 15.8 V.
Thank you, so it will be better. Will it also lower the noise a bit ?
What is the best pre regulator I can use before the 3042. Do you know if there is a schematic on this post or else where ?

I am a bit affraid of the pcb design tho now with all these parts but tha is how you learn.

Hey I want to thank you a lot for your help guys, I really appreciate everything you do.

If you are using 1% resistors there is no problem in running the fast-startup closer to the desired output voltage. In this case 150k & 3k3 resistor should be fine. Or even 3k16.

For Cset of 22uF film capacitor is total overkill. Tantalum works fine here even with 16V rating.
I use 1% 25ppm, Thank you. I will buy a tantalum it is cheaper at higher voltage rating. Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Thank you. I kind of understood about the 1.5v for lower noise and the 0.26v for the dropout, means 16.76v min. Thank you so much for you care.

Can I ask you if it will be good enough as a preregulator ? I can buy more expensive parts as I am only building it for myself.

I dont really care about the cost of the preregulator, but I dont want to pay too much if it will not bring any improvement. My main concern is to not add noise, or even better, lower it even more with a preregulator.

I you had to choose the best pre regulator (best for the task, not the best on the market) which one you would choose ?

Hi, was going to order the LM2941 (it is fine LDO thank you for the recommendation) but for the negative rail I would like to avoid the lm2991, from a simple research on diyaudio it seems it is a very bad regulator, it is noisy and its psrr is sub par from what I read it's noise is also in the 200 to 450uV in real life it seems :
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/simple-linear-crcrc-psu.353363/page-2#post-6304334
see this also :
The negative version LM2991 is a famous one, it has a typical noise figure of 200 µv and a maximum of 450 µV!!!!!!! You should don't even want to use those.

I suggest people that need a good symmetric PSU look here:

VRDN: bipolar regulator PCB for line level ckts: ±11V to ±20V @ 1.5A with "De-Noiser"

Is there another combo I can use ? LT3080 maybe and its negative equivalent (but it 6euros vs 2.5euros for the lm2941).

Thank you.

The LT3094 that you want to use for the negative rail has a noise of 0.8 uV RMS from 10 Hz to 100 kHz and a PSRR of more than 75 dB. That means that as long as the noise of the preregulator is well below 4.5 mV RMS, it won't dominate the noise at the LT3094 output, so 450 uV should do fine.