Yet another DIY line array project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not to beat a dead horse here, But written a page on my own website that includes most of the essential data from this project. I know I posted a directory full of random pictures before, and I'll probably remove that now, because its all here in a much more readable format. Most of the graphics should expand to full screen size on click, but its still not all that mobile friendly. Enjoy...

A linear Speaker Array you can build

Love your build, but did you use a crossover? and how about a schematic if you have one !!!

No... did not use a crossover, as these are full range speakers. I do, however, use a separate "bass box" floor speaker with just a woofer, to better cover everything from about 200hz down. It does employ a passive inductor, though I've forgotten the value at the moment. As to schematics, I am sorry I didn't draw one out, as I've experimented with several configurations, including..

1. 5 parallel connected groups, with each group being 3 speakers in series (this yields a 2.4 ohm impedance, and the highest power output)
  2. 3 parallel connected groups, with each group being 5 speakers in series. (this yields a 6.7 ohm impedance, and is the lowest power option I've tried.
  3. 4 parallel connected groups, with the three lower groups being 4 speakers in series, and the upper most group being 3 speakers in series. This yields a 3.7 ohm impedance, and is my medium power option, which I'm currently using. This configuration offers a little extra output to the topmost 3 speakers, which are pointed in 3 different directions, and has the advantage of projecting a little more sound toward the part of the audience farthest from the assembly.
Note that I've considered making the an option to switch between at least 2 of these potions, but all such arrangements require at least a 10PDT switch, and though such switches are available (usually as rotary switches), they are expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.