Yes, you can hear Phase differences !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I appreciate y‘alls tolerance,
This is the first yr I’ve put forth the effort to further educate myself in xo and speaker design....basically system design.
And even though I’ve been a audio hobbyist over 40 yrs the terminology seems the hardest thing to get a handle on....I’ll get eventually!

One thing I do pride myself on is that everything I’ve done up to this point has been by ear I have recently picked up a calibrated mic which has helped verify things for sure.
To those saying that ‘tuning by ear’ is the hard way or the wrong way I’ll just say that hearing these things is not the hard thing, figuring out what your hearing is. You can train your ears as long as you know what your hearing......that’s my end game.

That and probably DSP ..lol

Bob

To those saying that ‘tuning by ear’ is the hard way or the wrong way I’ll just say that hearing these things is not the hard thing, figuring out what your hearing is. You can train your ears as long as you know what your hearing......that’s my end game.

Don't forget to have a reference design that has been properly designed. When listened side by side with a top notch speaker and you still prefer your designed-by-ear speaker then your ears have been trained well and can be used as measurement device hehe.

My current/best speaker has two notch filters. No measurement has been done so far. One notch filter is around 1k2Hz (the pdf of the woofer shows flat response here, only impedance blip) the other one is around 3kHz-5kHz. Only my ears know what these filters are doing. I'm curious myself but I'm too 'busy' to setup some measurements. But the great sound (when compared to the other speakers) gave me no worry.

I don't think I'd say it that way. The ear is less sensitive to harmonic content as the fundamental goes up. 3rd harmonic of 7kHz is at the edge of the ability to detect it.

There's no such thing as "phase locking" in human hearing, at least, not as I use the term. "Phase locking" is where a phase comparator is used to control a signal that can be adjusted to lock to another in phase, actually, any arbitrary phase relationship. I.E. a phase locked loop.

Not sure what that refers to with regard to hearing.
Perception Lecture Notes: Frequency Tuning and Pitch Perception
"Phase Locking is an empirical observation that supports the volley principle. When auditory nerve neurons fire action potentials, they tend to respond at times corresponding to a peak in the sound pressure waveform, i.e., when the basilar membrane moves up. The result of this is that there are a bunch of neurons firing near the peak of each and every cycle of a pure tone. No individual neuron can respond to every cycle of a sound signal, so different neurons fire on successive cycles. Nonetheless, when they do respond they tend to fire together."

Perception Lecture Notes: Frequency Tuning and Pitch Perception
"Phase Locking is an empirical observation that supports the volley principle. When auditory nerve neurons fire action potentials, they tend to respond at times corresponding to a peak in the sound pressure waveform, i.e., when the basilar membrane moves up. The result of this is that there are a bunch of neurons firing near the peak of each and every cycle of a pure tone. No individual neuron can respond to every cycle of a sound signal, so different neurons fire on successive cycles. Nonetheless, when they do respond they tend to fire together."
Ah. Ok, thanks that clears it up. “Phase Locking”, in that context, is a non-scientific, made up term coined by someone who doesn’t understand what “phase” means.

It is called absolute phase. One option is (usually) better sense of imaging and more relaxed sound, the other option is better bass definition. Given clear differences (i.e. listener can describe the difference well) I think most will prefer the later. Well, who doesn't like bass :D

All excellent examples of ambiguous preference. Since there is no reference there is no correct or incorrect. There has been no reliable correlation between positive/positive absolute phase and preference, and a big part of the reason is addressed by the FIR guys. Speakers in rooms are excellent phase scramblers. An instantaneous polarity inversion can be detectable, but there may actually be no “absolute” left to argue about because of the degree of group delay in the total system including the room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.