Xmas Amp - Dibya's TDA7293 by Jhofland

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey folks, yes C17 and C2 should have been DNP and jumpered if implementing DC servo. I had gone full-robo populate mode. Later realizing my error so I removed just C2. Bypassed it with a jumper. I left C17 as vestigial because I did not want to mess with removing a part so close to the chip pins. It’s kind of tight there and I am using a fat 3mm wide chisel tip iron.

You guys need to give Vunce some slack on his re-purposed inductors. No inductor shaming allowed! :) He had no more magnet wire on hand. I think 1uH inductors could be done using nice 30A WE or CoilCraft SMT in the future?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
maybe i missed that information..sorry..why is the C28 shorted/not used?

From post 1:

Note that if populating the DC servo, C17 and C2 should be replaced with jumpers. The on-board voltage regulators are +/-40v max rails so please keep that in mind when choosing the PSU.

It’s actually C2. And either can be shorted. I left C17 (accidentally populated) since it doesn’t matter once one is shorted.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is a 1uH 27A shielded inductor. Should be easy to hand solder conventionally despite being “SMT”. Very compact and saves us from hand winding magnet wire. Lazy people like me just click and buy! Plus is tools way cool. :)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Coilcraft/SER1590-102MLB/?qs=VJjuEbE9QBPTtBRZHY%2BH1w==

Coilcraft-SER1590-102MLB.jpg

So a couple of final edits on board that I will request from jhofland:

1. Electrically isolate the remaining 3 bolt holes from ground.
2. Add more room for bigger input cap to allow up to 4.7uF to bring F3 to 1.6Hz.
3. Add SMT pads for the above 1uH 27A shielded inductor as optional to the side of the existing hand wound one.
4. Maybe an LED power on indicator would be good.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ferrite core. Despite not being air core, should not cause a problem with distortion as currents are way inside the linear range as it is 27A rated. Of course, folks are free to hand wind $0.20 worth of 18ga magnet wire to do the job.

Edit: on second thought this is a budget giveaway amp build and folks should probably wind their own inductors.

The only change needed is to electrically isolate the bolt holes from ground except for the one with a GLB.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The TDA7293 Xmas Amp is now playing music! The drill and tap operations into these Dell solid aluminum heatsinks was very easy. Making 18 wire assemlbies takes a lot longer than you think. The 250VA 25v trafo is giving me +/-36.0v at the amp. I am testing with Focusrite 2i4 driving an Aksa Lender preamp, which then drives the TDA7293. I am using my 10F/RS225 FAST speakers. After an hour of playing moderate levels, the heatsinks are registering 38 deg C. Just barely warm.

Only listening to a few songs, but so far so good. Amp sounds very nice.

Mounting the chipamp to the heatsink using a ceramic spacer pad and thermal paste:
attachment.php

Bench testing to make sure no smoke or explosions. DC offset is about 4mV to 5mV. When amp is first turned on, DC offset is about 11mV and then quickly settles to 4mV:
attachment.php

Full listening test with main rig comprised of Focusrire 2i4 driving Aksa Lender preamp (with SMT daughterboard) driving TDA7293, driving 10F/RS225 FAST TL speakers:
attachment.php

Closeup of the setup:
attachment.php

So far a very smooth sounding amp. Powering my speakers nicely.

Thank you to Jhofland for another excellent design and layout!

Attachments

• TDA7293-NBuild-04.jpg
    TDA7293-NBuild-04.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 894
  • TDA7293-NBuild-05.jpg
    TDA7293-NBuild-05.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 644
  • TDA7293-NBuild-06.jpg
    TDA7293-NBuild-06.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 631
  • TDA7293-NBuild-07.jpg
    TDA7293-NBuild-07.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 1,593
Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance... I see a lot of care to insulate the bolt + heatsink from the amp's power chip, as often the case.

I always wondered how this worked inside the chip's hole: for sure the bolt must be touching when passing through - how is that insulated?

Many thanks and sorry for the basic question, learning on how to build amps!

Claude