Xmas Amp - Dibya's TDA7293 by Jhofland

Your grandmother solders electronics? Really? ;>)

I use these little tubes of No-Clean paste flux from CHIPQUIK (#SMD291)
and have a little desk fan that blows ant flux vapor away from me out into the room (the fan doesn’t blow onto what I’m soldering at the moment).

Pete

She is EE Diploma.

She has no experience in Hi-Fi Amplifier but designed Super Het Radio and Tape Decks for Small companies here in India back in 70s.
Her first design was a Tape Boom Box in 1971 (I think she was 21yrs and 2 yrs married already). All gain stages uses Panasonic 2SC series , Some form of discrete DNR , BEL India AC188 and AC187 in Push Pull Class B stage for speakers.
She is a member of noisy Germanium transistor cult.

Now a days she doesn't solder anything ( She can't see properly , She is in her 70s) but help me to tidy up stuff and Etch PCB while i am proto typing.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
She sounds amazing.

Thanks to Pete for the valuable insight into his build. He has been a gentleman in providing me with a pair of boards and ceramic pads for the chips....transatlantic obviously. This forum has some incredible members.

My build will be slow but I will update here as and when!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Great job Pete, and great post, thanks for sharing!

I think you tackled now every possible aera to give it your sound improvements, apart perhaps from the PS caps and bypasses... well done and enjoy it very much!

Claude

Thanks Claude...if you saw the PS board I used it’s got so many Mundorf film cap filters on it I don’t think any X7R/C0G bypasses would bring out any better sounds. I know you wanted me to try... ;)

This was a fun little project. Rummaging through stuff I found a pair of amp boards I got from someone (maybe from X?) ....DLH Amplifier: the trilogy withPLH and JLH amps. I guess it’s a Class A amp. I have to do some reading up on its build now.

Pete

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Pete,

Thanks very much for you assessment of performance. Glad you found the “sparkle”. I’mcurious if you have a sense of which change(s) are responsible.

And thanks especially for taking the time to document and share the tweeks you have applied. They are just in time for my Mouser order.

Francois.

Francois: When I saw this wonderful little project I understood the designers wanted to provide an inexpensive, stable & pleasing-sounding build (as any capable designers would). I just looked at the easy signal path tweaks that would change the sound (for better I hoped, maybe worse or no different) and give folk some options.

I looked immediately at R4, R1, R3, R15, & C28. R20, R2 & C18 were also in consideration. But, I had to built it stock first. It was a nice amp just as is and I hoped my tweaks would allow some positive variations.

I think putting the Dale’s at R1, R3, R4 and R15 were the biggest sound changers. I’ve used them before in another LM3886 build. C18 & C28 changes was just pure snobbiness on my part, came from previous amp builds and were guesses.

The matching of R11 & R14 was an uneducated change on my part. When I measured the incoming voltages (+ & - ) to the opamp they weren’t the same. Since the regulators’ outputs are set by the 2 resistor pairs across pins 1&2 that whole exercise may have been electronically meaningless, because I think I should have matched R12&R13 as well, looking at it now.

Time to measure voltages again...

Pete

Joined 2019
Paid Member
My pair was built to the BOM with the 4.7 caps at C1 and the WIMA caps at C27. They sound great. Listened to them for three nights at 2-3 hours a night. I use the speakers X posted here as a homage to the LS3. I used a few different sources and I was very happy with the sound of the amp. Most days I listen to an F6 with Korg Nutube pre. so don't think you need a lot of upgraded parts to get this amp working very well.

Nor do I want to discourage you from trying stuff. My C1 caps are physically huge and ordered because the ones on the BOM were on back order. Maybe they make a difference maybe not but the bass is good and the music was pulling me in. To me that's good enough.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for the information. Solder I use is a 63/37 and 0.6mm. I will try a smaller size of solder and possibly pick up a needle type solder tip. I have one already, but I think I over heated it as it has a blue tinge on the body, and not sure that it will hold solder anymore

Waiting on some boards and have to order a few new parts.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Test speakers

Here is the thread for the speaker. Waiting on an enclosure so the torid PS and amp boards were just sitting on a board. These speakers fit on the bench.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 335
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Secret Sauce in the recipe:

Want a 50W Tube like Amp to drive your bookshelf speaker with less than 1% THD?

* Use Desktop Class A or Pocket Class A Headphone amp by XRK971 as a
Preamp
* Replace C5 and C11 with Elna Silmic II 100uf 50v ( I still have no explanation how PSU cap effect sounds)

I concur about using the Elnas at C5&11. They take a bit to settle in but they do pleasantly change the sonics. Smoother, possibly a bit airier but that’s subjective. Bass response isn’t affected as far as I can hear. I don’t really crank up the music so I can’t confirm what happens to the overall response & attack with only 320uF per side when the system is pushed. It’s too bad all the big cap PCB positions weren’t made with slightly bigger mounting diameters.

Dibya....did you ever try replacing C6&9 with Silmics as well? Ever try caps other than FCs to drive the signal or is ESR important here?

Regards, Pete