XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

a stock Eminence 3K5 network (more like 2K8 on the highpass) is 3rd order highpass, 2nd lowpass electrically and would fit inside XKi for Beta8cx. The CD would not sound stained as the original APT50 played well with that network.

X- what do you think would be the difference between an XKi's sound and an R-J down as below? Would that aperture have some good points? There typically would be very little front "cavity" with the R-J compared to the 2:1 rear to front volumes employed in a lot of your XKi alignments.

The sub- baffle could set on 0.75" or so cleans, and of course, the back wave exits the aperture.

ApHFhZj.jpg

the lemon aperture R-J was the more common model. The earlier ones had the tilted diamond hole. They work pretty well.

The 8 inch R-J cabinet must had been one of the earliest "bookshelf" enclosures with ~2:1 front aspect

o2olGok.png

here's my slimline R-J12 from the rear

6QFbGJ9.jpg

Last edited:
also X and guyz - is there an XKi 12" combo as alternative to Karlsonator 12 to try? GregB's Karlsonator is tuned to 37Hz. I'm interested in something somewhat more compact, tuned higher, extremely punchy - yet smooth

I'd like to hear that 15 inch XKi. btw - Karlson's K12 , tho limited on the bottom, can sound very nice with some speakers. (if one likes Ks :D)

PA310 is about 3-4dB less sensitive than Kappa12A, higher moving mass (~70g vs 42 for Kappa12a) but more xmax, good motor/power handling and an interestingly doped cone which goes smoothly as a direct radiator on-axis "way up".

What would the PA310 XKi look like in overall size, vent and response?

here's PA310's response chart - I stretched the vertical 200%

oddly enough - it sounded like it was under water in comparison to Kappa 12a when each were in a Karlson "K12"

(a distributed slit vent K12 is tuned about 63Hz small signal I bet that chokes up with any significant drive)

DGlMWeu.jpg

Last edited:
PA310 may well make that graph, but in a K12, sounded absolutely horrible with deep holes in its response and pretty much like it was under water. In contrast Eminence's old B102 sounded pretty decent in the same style K12. Both had a K-tube for helper. Higher moving mass doesn't seem to always work in a Karlson. I had EV SP1%B with qts >1 in K15 and those were reasonably "musical"

If the XKi can ply up to around 700 smooth with PA310 then it should be pretty good. MMJ had PA310 in his early Karlflexz and think it played pretty smooth - he did think it would have been better with a woofer having rising response.

Yeah - a 12" XKI plus a little one. I need to revive my plywood PA130 XKi and put in some melamine sponges as it had coloration issues with a bare front chamber. What might a PA310 XKi look like? Would some of the Faital Pro fullrange mate well as XKi with a PA310 XKi low end?

@ xrk971 - if you get time , would you sometime examine what PA310 might do and what's a good compact XKi for it? Its lower sensitivity than the ~40-some gram Mms 12s might be good for matching FR in a "FAST" configuration. K12 was probably tuned too high for it to make good use of the driver plus PA310 simply sounded very much like in a cave vs Kappa12 which actually sounds quite good (when both woofers are mated to a K-tube)

I'm interested in high SPL, low cone excursion, and compactness moreso than trying to reach low.

Def_Driver "PA310" | Dayton 12 inch 96dB 450w Xmax 5.0mm
Sd=530.9cm2
Fs=39Hz
Mms=72.8g
Qms=8.85
Qes=0.30
Re=5.5ohm
BL=18.0Tm
Vas=91.74658L

- also, can hornresp fudge an XKi "about" as well as Akabak? If so, how might one specify the front chamber's aperture area vs Sd? What about the cavity peak in my crude sim below ? That peak is often a problem with smaller Karlson type and lower qts drivers (and with a "K10 size" occurred around 210Hz - IIRC)

about 1.5 cubic foot total and PA310, 2 pi

GYRy83j.jpg

Here's PA310 in a similar size K - 115BK style - says cavity peak is somewhat higher up
(and system tuning a bit higher at ~63Hz - much like Karlson's "K12")

g1fumaJ.jpg

Last edited: