X-Altra Line Level Preamp

On my previous post, I was asking about a suitable alternative for the MJE15032g/33g. This is specifically for use in the HPA-1 loudspeaker amp.
In this application which uses them as the output stage of the HPA-1, which has supply rails of +/-17V, I believe the MJE15030/31 pair would be suitable especially as they are currently in stock with Mouser . Can you confirm this?

HPA-1/Standard PSU and Headphone socket mounting boards arrived in today's post. These will augment my existing preamp setup very nicely.

I'm going to have fun putting this all together. I'm quite used to SMD construction down to 0803 and SOIC but soldering 0803 and SOIC8 pads with vias within them will be interesting!

My normal soldering setup for SMD is my Ersa iCon Nano with a 3 or 5mm wedge tip and 0.5mm leaded solder.

Last edited:
I'll take on board your recommendation and finally make use of the needlepoint bit that came with my solder station. I've used 3 and 5mm chisel tips for my past excursions into SMD assembly to reasonable effect. Mind you, my boards haven't had quite as tight a component placement as the HPA-1 board does.

I actually prefer a wedge tip for doing drag soldering on the SIOC packages and smaller pitch ICs.

Having looked at XRK971's video XRKaudio SMT method demo I may just borrow my son's hot air kit and give that a go!

After years of TH assembly experience within an aerospace environment, I'm more than happy to do SMD stuff and far prefer it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_091539271[1].jpg
    IMG_20230712_091539271[1].jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Andrew,
I've just completed assembly of the HPA-1 headphone amp with no problems during construction. I'm currently waiting for my parts to build the Standard PSU (20 turn pots on backorder at Mouser till the end of the month). Once the PSU is done, I'll be able to test it all.

Two things I noticed regarding the PSU:
  1. Standard PSU BOM (X-Altra Mini-II BOM and standalone one) doesn't call up Thermal insulator TO220 or mounting bushes.
  2. Standard PSU presentation and X-Altra II Mini presentation wiring recommendations appear to contradict each other - PSU one says to daisy-chain all modules whereas the pre-amp has the HPA-1 direct from the PSU and the rest being daisy-chained

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Geoff,

1. Thanks for catching the thermal insulators and mounting bushes - I'll add those.
2. The headphone amp is not daisy-chained with the other modules because of the high current draw (180 mA for both channels). I'll make that clearer in the update.

I also have one or two other updates to make based on feedback from Andy Lowe.

:)

Reactions: 1 user