wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

Sorry for the toooltal newbieness

I’m trying to run it from my windows pc, I’ve dedicated a usb to host the iso files but have no clues on how to use the player after that :)

Could someone please explain?

I’ll do a YouTube tutorial if I manage to run it !

Thank you very much, folks

@GRSACD: Hi, I was going to post you the link to the quick start guide, but have just realized that it is a bit outdated. Instead, here is a very short summary:

Preparing the memory stick and booting:
  1. Get a memory stick and wtfplay-live ISO image.
  2. Get Win32Imager or Balena Etcher.
  3. Use Win32Imager or Balena Etcher to write the ISO image onto the memory stick. Note, that all data on the memory stick will be destroyed in the process.
  4. Boot your computer of that memory stick, e.g. using Boot Menu in the BIOS. If your computer refuses to boot of the memory stick, or does even show that option in the boot menu, then you may want to go to BIOS setup program and disable Secure Boot option.
Once wtfplay-live has booted:
  1. Type snd command and hit ENTER to see what sound cards are installed in your computer. Pay attention to ID column. You will need that identifier to select the card to use.
  2. Type wtfcui to start the UI. Note that by default wtfcui uses the first sound card that has been in step (1) above. If you want to use a different sound card, you need to run the program as follows wtfcui -d <id> where <id> is the card identifier from the step (1) above.
Once in wtfcui:
  1. In left pane you will see your disks/partitions/files/directories assuming that they are on the filesystems that wtfplay-live can read. Navigate to the audio file that you want to play (keys UP, DOWN, ENTER, BKSPC). Once selected press A to add the file to the playlist pane on the right.
  2. Press TAB to switch to the playlist pane.
  3. Select the audio file in the playlist and hit ENTER to play it.

F

Hi frd_ , thank you for your initiative to make the world of audiophile better!
I end up here after some research for a good audio player to use on my computer. Saw many praise about your software and decided to give it a go.
I read pretty much the 25 pages of thread to find answer to my question and find an answer at your very last post (always like that). Anyway, I'm using Windows 11 and managed to boot from a USB following your instructions ( I had trouble with Win32 but using Balena solved it ). Unfortunately I couldn't find any music in wtfcui, do you think it's something similar with core and the software can't access the music? All my musics are .wav . Does the dac need to be plug at the boot or can be plug after?

I'm also using a LG V40 with UAPP as a streamer to use with my external dac, while quiet satisfied with this, there's always room for improvement. Do you think WTF would work on my dedicated phone?

Finally, if I decide to use a dedicated small laptop only for music, what would be the "ideal" device to run your software?

Sorry for all thoses questions but sound quality is at stake here 🙂. Thank you very much.

@Dorian38: Hi,

1. wtfplay-live should be able to read NTFS formatted disks and partitions, unless you encrypt them. If you use BitLocker or similar, then wtfplay-live will not be able to read that. If your disk is not encrypted then copy one WAV file directly to C: and see if it is visible. You can always connect an USB memory stick or disk with music and then start wtfcui.

2. USB DAC can be plugged in at any time. Run snd to see its ID.

3. wtfplay-live will not work on LG V40

4. It is very hard to advice a particular hardware, but the idea of using a small, old (and cheap) laptop may be the step in the right direction. There is no harm in trying.

F

Hi, thank you for your reply. I tried a bit harder and was able to run wtf on my computer, I used a USB stick to get my music. I'll try to put music directly on C and see if it work. I couldn't play any music at first but then I plugged my dac to the computer and it worked. I haven't had time to listen yet (getting impatient tho). About the dedicated computer: i3 / 8 GB / Linux and enough memory to store my music would suit then? Any benefits of having Linux instead of Windows to use your software?

Hi @frd_
one of the things I'd be curious to know in the event of building a custom pc for wtfplay:
does wtfplay only handle one module of ram?
Does it use only one cpu core?
PS the latest version after treating the noteboock as if it were a valuable component of the main system (double decoupling system) is about to undermine the reading mechanics which until now had always had the upper hand.
Thanks for your commitment.

Frd,

I have been reading Blitz's posts about a tickless Linux kernel and wonder what you think of this and whether this could be something that could benefit WTF?

It sounds like a good idea - for all I know you have already incoroporated this into WTF.

What do you think?

Hope all is well for you.

Hi Rick,

I am familiar with the Blitz''s thread. And you are right - some aspects of ticklessness are already in wtfplay-live. I think that there is still some room for improvements, but this is one of the paths to follow. I am exploring some of the others, whenever I have a time for diy audio.

F

Reactions: 1 user
Can it sound better on an Intel NUC i3 avx turned fanless with AKASA Touring with linear power supply? or is it a matter of luck?
I have all my music on a NAS in DSD format, what would be the best way to play the music on WTFPlay? Well, the NAS has a RJ45 output, in addition to the fact that 10TB takes up a lot of space. Thanks again.
I love the sound of WTFplay!!!
The software I am currently using is Hysolid, Fantastic, the best!! and the Tunebrowser (Japanese and very good too but not that much).
Which one are you using and which one do you recommend besides WTFplay?

This is the DAC invention I have

1685611913321.png