Wilson Alexandria XLF drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill,

That's exactly my point. How can you do polar measurements, and not close-mic? :)

because close mic measurements of the drivers won't reveal the baffle interactions, and an optimised crossover will compensate whatever the baffle doing to the freq response.

further, how to do a close mic with such a big speakers to really capture the overall response of the speakers?

it is cloudy today, so i posted here....:D

Hi Henry,

Just to be sure you are tuned in, the question was that if it's possible to do polar measures of a speaker then it should also be possible to do close mic / nearfield / quasi anechoic measurements of said speaker. The question is really about physical capabilities, not willingness. "CAN" vs. "MAY" or "SHOULD" is the operative word. :)

Again, not very important, and I fear we are belaboring poor Wilson's business too much.

Best,

Erik

i see what you mean now. however, i think it is fair that JA have full disclosure on how he measured the speakers, beside no amount of measurements can give you an idea how the speakers will sound, further as this is an ultra expensive speakers, ultimately the buyer will need to audition the speakers personally.

i see what you mean now. however, i think it is fair that JA have full disclosure on how he measured the speakers, beside no amount of measurements can give you an idea how the speakers will sound, further as this is an ultra expensive speakers, ultimately the buyer will need to audition the speakers personally.

Sure. I just think the difference in measurements is curious.

Frankly I'd rather they do away with all of the close-mic data and add linearity and distortion instead. I think that would be a much more interesting and revealing measure of quality than the current suite.

Best,

Erik

because close mic measurements of the drivers won't reveal the baffle interactions, and an optimised crossover will compensate whatever the baffle doing to the freq response.

further, how to do a close mic with such a big speakers to really capture the overall response of the speakers?

it is cloudy today, so i posted here....:D

Actually a standard gated farfield measurement would be plenty to show the interesting stuff. The top half of the speaker is basically an MTM with 6" drivers and a cabinet width to match. A measuring distance of 1 meter would be plenty to show cabinet diffraction effects and to allow the MTM top section to integrate properly.

Jon Atkinson is a smart guy and he's used all sorts of techniques to splice together a decent representation for a loudspeakers frequency response for designs that are too big to sum properly with standard measurement conditions.

I gues the nearfield measurements in SP were just made to satisfy the nosey ones (like me) so they can see how those thingies are tuned and what crossover orders were used etc.

I once had the chance to listen to the first version of the Sophia with a CD of mine (Kari Bremnes, Norwegian Mood) and I must say that it sounded quite flattering to female voices. My Mangers sound less sweet in comparison but a little more revealing. I can definitley understand why some people like speakers like that although my personal preferences are differnt.
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to listen to an Alexandria so far (although I have once seen one from close up). I would say craftmanship on the Wilsons is first rate. And one has to be aware that they are not selling speaker kits but finished products made in small quantities. And they are not doing it for philantropic reasons but for earning money.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.