Wilmslow Audio - Prestige platinum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got my passive crossovers out and this is what I found. Firstly I needed to buy boxes 40cm x 30 cm x 10 cm to easily fit them in. They came on two boards, one with bass and treble outputs, the other with mid

The bass and treble section has two Wilmslow Audio Supersound caps "CPA 70u J 400" and "CPA 50u J 400". There are then two Hovland Musicaps one says 8.0/100V and the other 5.0/100V. There is a two lead device with a heat sink that has "MPR-20 IROAJ KOA 88". Lastly there are two inductors, one is 7cm tall and 7cm diameter (!) with a label that says "A 3" and nothing else. The other is much smaller and has no label.

The mid section has the same two large WA caps as above plus another two from the same series but this time one says "CPA 20 J 400" and the other (this one is red) "CPF 6u8 J 400". There are also two unmarked inductors and a 1R 11W resistor. Finally another two lead, heatsunk device as above.

This lot doesn't sound anything like the crossovers previously pictured...

Also bear in mind that the person I bought these from told me that they were WA's own demo pair of the older style of cabinet, I would hope that they would be demoing the actual model they were selling. It might be that the crossovers were altered when the new design boxes came out?

Can't make much sense of the many variations of Prestige being discussed here, but I've been looking at bushmeister's inherited crossover. Here's a review.

Correct polarity is ++-. Anything else is due to inaccuracies in component values.

Problem with Katieanddad's filter was it had too much rolloff on the mid, and should really have a second order tweeter filter for an LR2 response at the top end. Crossing from bass to mid is problematic, because it's near butterworth 90 degree phase difference.

I have a feeling we are talking about ATC SM75-150 16 ohm here. And a ring radiator. Just have to hope the ring radiator works on a second order.

My advice is to lose the 100uF, the 8uF and change the 0.9mH to something between 0.4 and 0.5mH. It will all look a lot better then. Impedance stays above 4 ohms.

Attachments

• Bushmeister Prestige.JPG
    Bushmeister Prestige.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 287
  • Wilmslow Prestige Circuit.JPG
    Wilmslow Prestige Circuit.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Wilmslow Prestige Katieanddad circuit.PNG
    Wilmslow Prestige Katieanddad circuit.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Bushmeister FR.jpg
    Bushmeister FR.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 273
In 2013 Wilmslow Audio sent me this in an email:

"Looking back at what we have been supplying over the last few months, it seems that we have returned to using the same crossover for both the Gold and Platinum designs. The main parameters of the two midranges are very similar and although we did have slightly different designs for both, we have found that the Gold crossover does actually produce a better soundstage than our original Platinum design. However it quite often comes down to individual hearing. So if you feel after running them for a while, that the sound needs tweaking, we would be happy to advise accordingly

If you change the tweeter from the Gold to the Platinum unit, you may need to change the resistor value, but again that depends more on how they sound than a theoretical design. So again, see how they sound and if a tweak is required, we would be pleased to advise."

The Gold Prestige used ATC midrange drivers while the Platinum used Volt. The frequency responses for these drivers are quite different, esp at the lower end. I was surprised to say the least.

In 2013 Wilmslow Audio sent me this in an email:

"Looking back at what we have been supplying over the last few months, it seems that we have returned to using the same crossover for both the Gold and Platinum designs. The main parameters of the two midranges are very similar and although we did have slightly different designs for both, we have found that the Gold crossover does actually produce a better soundstage than our original Platinum design. However it quite often comes down to individual hearing. So if you feel after running them for a while, that the sound needs tweaking, we would be happy to advise accordingly

If you change the tweeter from the Gold to the Platinum unit, you may need to change the resistor value, but again that depends more on how they sound than a theoretical design. So again, see how they sound and if a tweak is required, we would be pleased to advise."

The Gold Prestige used ATC midrange drivers while the Platinum used Volt. The frequency responses for these drivers are quite different, esp at the lower end. I was surprised to say the least.
The Volt wants crossing at about 500 Hz given the 400 Hz Fs and indeed this looks to be about where it is crossed in Bushmeister's plot. The ATC probably wants crossing at about the same place given the small surface area but it often seems to be crossed a 100Hz or so lower. At the top end the crossover frequency should probably lie somewhere around 3-4kHz and it is this that looks wrong in Bushmeister's plot.

As has been said before, the advertised Volt and ATC drivers have both different sensitivities and different impedances and so cannot use the same values in the crossover. I find it hard to believe that people working at Wilmslow Audio would not know that. It is possible to interpret your quoted post to mean that the Gold and Platinum are slightly different circuits with appropriate values for the Volt and ATC drivers rather than the same circuit with one set of values for the Volt driver and one set for the ATC driver. Can anyone rule out one of the interpretations?

For what it's worth:

According to their publications ATC themselves cross the mid at 380 and 3800Hz for both the 'S' and non 'S' versions, active and passive.
Don't know about the passive version but the active ones use 24dB Linkwitz-Riley.
ATC list the Fs as 320Hz in their driver data pdf.

Quested use the Volt mid and cross at 450 and 4500Hz, 24dB L-R active according to their site.

For what it's worth:

According to their publications ATC themselves cross the mid at 380 and 3800Hz for both the 'S' and non 'S' versions, active and passive.
Don't know about the passive version but the active ones use 24dB Linkwitz-Riley.
ATC list the Fs as 320Hz in their driver data pdf.

Quested use the Volt mid and cross at 450 and 4500Hz, 24dB L-R active according to their site.

If anyone knows the equivalent frequencies for the PMC version I would be very interested to know. I think it is the same as ATC.

If anyone knows the equivalent frequencies for the PMC version I would be very interested to know. I think it is the same as ATC.

I found reference to this on a PMC dealer's website and they use the 380 and 3800Hz points - the same as ATC. Taken together with the PMC drivers being mechanically similar to the ATC ones it would seem that they are one-for-one replacements.

I found reference to this on a PMC dealer's website and they use the 380 and 3800Hz points - the same as ATC. Taken together with the PMC drivers being mechanically similar to the ATC ones it would seem that they are one-for-one replacements.

They might still differ in impedance and sensitivity.

Should be easy to measure, the hard bit is getting hold of them in the first place.

I have been in contact with WA and sent them a picture of the crossovers. They have confirmed that these are the correct Prestige Platinum crossovers.
Have they confirmed that the supplied values are correct or just that it looks like one of their crossovers? The high pass for the tweeter and the low pass for the midrange are clearly not aligned with the latter looking to be at about half the intended frequency.

Did they see the frequency response? If they did and have replied that these are correct crossovers then that would be extraordinary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.