Wilmslow Audio - Prestige platinum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those responses look horrific, but also pretty much exactly what I was expecting from what I've experienced of wilmslow.

Can we see some pictures of the crossovers and/or a schematic please?
I presume you are confident/competent in your xo design process, do you mind if I ask how you're planning on going about it?

Also, w.r.t. previous posts on the last two pages, anyone looking for inductors I would recommend hifi collective and mundorf coils. the comprehensive spec sheets mean you can find coils with the right resistance/inductance, they're very precisely wound and mundorf match them in pairs as standard - this for all there parts, even there little electrolytic caps. Nothing against falcon acoustics, but the coils are cheaper from mundorf, and the cap selection is larger and effectively cheaper/more accurate.

And yes, it's no surprise wilmslow audio is up for sale. Don't know who would want it though, besides any stock they're sitting on there's very little there - they've done a lot of damage to the name in the last 20 years and clearly have no real qualifications to be selling crossovers they've designed to the public, just an utter mess really. Anyone looking to set up a DIY company can do so with great success and without taking on someone else's mistakes, all you need is one good launch product and you'd be surprised how successful you are.

Maybe time to keep a look out on the wilmslow site for a stock clearance sale....

It's nice to see that someone now agrees with me that the mid-range was appalling with the standard crossovers.
It looks appalling because there are almost certainly incorrect value/s in the crossover. A phone call to Wilmslow supported by a plot like Bushmeister's for the right components and the job would have been done. At least to the extent such a crossover is capable.

Those crossovers are different in construction to mine as mine are built all on one board, as well as having different values
6a7d5af2c04f588fea20ec585b1875fe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks katieanddad i guess that offer is open to all.

It is something I will definitely consider, but as it is a straight forward analogue active crossover similar to the one I already have, I will need to measure my one first. Unfortunately, given the somewhat awkward frequency response of these drivers I suspect they will need a digital crossover to get the full benefit of them.

Certainly looks like a mistake, and having spoke to Wilmslow before they would have happily fixed it given the chance. Still, it was clearly a mistake that could have been avoided surely?

Of course it is a mistake that Wilmslow Audio would have fixed. Given the low cost of a fix they might even still fix it if Bushmeister contacts them although their being sold may colour a normal response. Having said that, if a number of posts are to be believed, they do seem to have some issues concerning what gets delivered to the customer.

I just got my passive crossovers out and this is what I found. Firstly I needed to buy boxes 40cm x 30 cm x 10 cm to easily fit them in. They came on two boards, one with bass and treble outputs, the other with mid

The bass and treble section has two Wilmslow Audio Supersound caps "CPA 70u J 400" and "CPA 50u J 400". There are then two Hovland Musicaps one says 8.0/100V and the other 5.0/100V. There is a two lead device with a heat sink that has "MPR-20 IROAJ KOA 88". Lastly there are two inductors, one is 7cm tall and 7cm diameter (!) with a label that says "A 3" and nothing else. The other is much smaller and has no label.

The mid section has the same two large WA caps as above plus another two from the same series but this time one says "CPA 20 J 400" and the other (this one is red) "CPF 6u8 J 400". There are also two unmarked inductors and a 1R 11W resistor. Finally another two lead, heatsunk device as above.

This lot doesn't sound anything like the crossovers previously pictured...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.