Wicked One WO 32 - Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Posting for a friend just completed the WO32 Subwoofer.

http://www.decware.com/

The WO32 is a dual 10" subwoofer is a unique hybrid acoustic suspension and horn subwoofer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Currently using a Vifa M25WP-09-08 10" woofer, Fs = 28Hz, Qts = 0.29, Sensitivity 92dB/W.

Sonically very impressive subwoofer, we had on hand a Linkwitz Thor sealed box subwoofer for comparision as well. The WO32 bass is fast and tight and IMO the horn loading arrangement moves quite a lot of air and presents a huge sense of scale in the bass, a most interesting effect.
The WO32 sounded best with the subwoofer flipped over resting on a piece of carpet.
Crossover used was a Behringer and a battery Gainclone were used as sub amps.

I dont know how anyone can really call that a horn Subwoofer. The horn length cant be more than 5 feet or so which gives a cutoff above 50hz which isnt close to a sub at all. Even a 30hz horn isnt truely a sub, but its ALOT closer. It might be loud... but I know it cant go very low

BassAwdyO said:
I dont know how anyone can really call that a horn Subwoofer. The horn length cant be more than 5 feet or so which gives a cutoff above 50hz which isnt close to a sub at all. Even a 30hz horn isnt truely a sub, but its ALOT closer. It might be loud... but I know it cant go very low

Not a horn expert but this hybrid type horn can definitely go down below 50Hz, the Behringer was set to cross at 40 Hz and there was still quite a bite of bass comming out of the subs... Of course the Thor subs had more lower bass but the Fs of the Thor driver was 20Hz compared to 28Hz(Vifa) of the WO32 . We will be trying out some vinatge 10" woofers with FS around 20 Hz so we'll see how it turns out.....

I also came across this Comments by Bruce Edgar on the WO32:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/26902.html

I built a WO many years ago for my car and it worked out great. I still have it and it is now in my GF's car. I scaled it down and built it with two 8"s. If your friend is willing I suggest putting a board on the open end and sealing it up. If you think it sounds good on the carpet, it sounds amazing sealed up imo.

I love exam time at college. It gives me so much time to diy instead of study... Anyway, at that time i had two amazingly cheap goldwood ten inch woofers and people were pitching away lofts like there was no tomorrow. so i had wood, and drivers.
i built up the ugliest wicked one ever, nine cubit feet of exposed screws and poorly mitered edges.
this sub is amazing. playing the beginning of the dark side of the moon, i shook windows down the hall. organ music takes on a new dimention with extention to a modest thirty hz, and all for less than fifty dollars! build this sub. do it!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is a pic of my very small downscaled WO. I use two 5½ inch "woofers" (ex coaxials with tweeter stripped of) and NOBODY who hears them belive that its only two cheap small 5½ inch woofers shaking my apartment. I love playing techno and bassheavy music so loud it rattles my windows and bookshelf. It does well down to 35 hz but falls rather quickly below.A funny thing is that it gives a better impression of going realy deep than my previous subb that realy did hit 20 Hz.(Two 10 inch woofers in a closed box with electronic compensation)

Very Wicked One

wicked one = 38''x30''x18''= dual 15'' 600W = 1200W Very Wicked One
2012-05-12 18.52.37.jpg

waiting for those DECWARE 12" tops

HI Takku
hello tuck how did this wicked one have a air hole and the one i saw at your place
had no air holes how were the Dclass small amps NEXT TIME insure the speakers have
something like 3KW per/ch i ll make the compression drivers sing
warm regards
andrew lebon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.