why are old school amps worth so much?

Well I would keep it but I bought it mainly to see how it was put together inside. The plexiglas one I'd keep, so I could see the internals, kind of a showpiece. I'm also running two ppi a600.2's for my mids/highs and an earthquake phd2. I really shouldn't be buying these things, lol

Was at my friends tonight, he whips out a Pyle amp and says this is a good amp right? I look at it, its 2x100 and says made in USA on the end. Had this RF impedance testing tool. Had some old Craig amps of various sizes and I forget the rest I need to take my camera up there.

I told that seller to mention it was made by PPI and he edited the auction. I wonder if it helped, considering how cheap it went for, wow.

jol50 said:
Not too bad for an old 4ch ppi, this sansui went for $61 150304428686 Came with plugs too and would have matched my 2ch but I got so many amps here I have to get rid of some.

I see an ancient looking Sansui that is listed under home stuff... here SM-150 220297368616 15min!

Yeah, that /\ one went for $50, had the neato schematics on the top like a lot of the 80's asian amps, lol.

If you like PPI, you should check this one out. Super Rare... :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300262742117

Old School SOUNDSTREAM !!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380066665814

Super deal on classic Rockford Fosgate!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380074069217

AUDIOMOBILE - Really old school and quality
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300259070385

Super old Kenwood car audio tuner...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300262737047

Figured I would though out some "random listings" of good quality old school car audio...
Ok............... it's my junk for sale.

I kind of got a bad taste of the sansui I have after the outputs fell off the board, and they have that utterly stupid output plug on them. Otherwise it seemed to work fine, oh and the clamping system is rather troubling too...think I will leave those to you guys. PPI amps were never around here back in the day, I never saw any in cars.

Thought someone here was looking for sansui, should have posted it sooner I guess but got busy. I had one with the vertical fins (think said that earlier in this thread maybe) and it was 100w rated too....I was not impressed. I have a blaupunkt with those neat diagrams too, it worked better than the sansui.

I don't really collect amps, well I do but only for one reason....if I might need to use them in my car some day. So I really don't want nice ones;) My buddy says I should try these LP 1002s in my car, not sure I want to bother.

Speaking of old school amps... I started out in July of this year with a quest to have a pre-HD Punch 150 and a Linear Power 5002. Within the next two weeks I should have both of my nostalgia amps in my collection!

The Punch 150 is far from mint, so I may end up using it.... The Linear Power is almost too beautiful to stick in a vehicle.... I will have to give Ray at TIPS a call for a custom mod on the LP 5002 :D

tomtomjr said:
Nak amps are nice amps. A pain to work on though. I still have a stash of 7 Nak amps from the 80's. Plus 11 or so of the crossovers. Just can't beat the EC-200 series crossovers. The amps aren't real powerful by today's standards for subs, but for mids/highs, they still sound great.
Anyone have any of the old 80's Audiomobile stuff?

PANak1.jpg

P1181503.jpg

P1012760.jpg

Yup, I had that SA1600 - no SMPS and managed to sound quite good. I think it consisted of four bridged channels - all discrete! - and it really sounded like it had some permanent EQ like a loudness control. I left it in the family minivan over 15 years ago.

Yes some sweet huge old amps. I love them too but I just wimp out, too many other toys to support. If I can run 50-150/ch old amp on highs I'm happy and just do class D on subs. I need to put a few not so great amps on there speaking of space, none of that left here either.

EnvisionAudio said:

I don't know all the answers, but the Reference was pre-Power Acoustik / bankruptcy. The last of the "real" SS were USA (short stint), Rubicons, Lil'Wonders, Angina, Human Reign, Tarantula and Continuum.

All the Italian artist names came afterwards, as well as XXX, VGA, XGA, EGA are Power Acoustik's work. :crazy:

Not all SS artist-named amps came afterwards.

The original SS Picasso was introduced to the market before the company changed hands.

I am relatively new to collecting, but i have noticed that it is easier to find quality when looking into the older amps.

I have a soft spot for Alpine, but don't like where they are heading.
Phoenix Gold has worked well for me and I have had many of their amps pass through my hands. I went to their website a couple of days ago and wanted to cry.

I only have 21 amps so far and here are some of my favorites

Soundstream - Reference Class A 10.0
Phoenix Gold - Outlaw 1845
Tantrum 1200
ZX 600ti
ZX 450v2
Alpine - 3558
3527s

The 3558 is my favorite old school amp it is rated @ 4 x 40W (0.02%THD, 20-20kHz.
The strange thing is that when bridged, the power is rated at 2 x 140W???
Does this mean that they label a 75w x 4 amp as a 40w per channel just so the specs are cleaner at half power and to give the impression that it is a "Class A". It even claims so right on the amp.
It still sounds awesome anyway and currently I use it to run 4 Alpine F1 tweeters.
One question for any Alpine guys out there- In the brochure, the 3527 claims to have 0.04% THD. -I have 3527s and 3527v. they look like each other except the "s" has acoustic compensation. The box for the "v" advertises 0.08% THD on it. does anyone know if there is a difference between the 3 models.
I checked on AmpGuts, but a lot of their information is either incomplete or just plain wrong- Example: Alpine 3555 is really 4 X 50w (0.04% THD 20-20kHz) and 2 x 150w (0.3% THD).

Simple fcat: old school rulz

its easy. They were honestly rated, they would put out what they claimed, with very little distortion.

I have 4 Zapco Z220's, a Studio 100 and Studio 200. They are all awesome in their ability. Combine that with the fact that at full output they are rated at 0.02THD...very clean signal.

Finally, with a little effort, one can remove the cheaper op amps in them, and put Burr Brown op amps in, and your "new" amp has 10X less distortion ...0.002% THD at full rating.

Nothing, NADA , Ziploa has these low distortion figures except the very highest end equipment.

Everytime someone drives by with their cheap Chinese amp cranked, making the door panels (or trunk) buzz, I cringe.

In the "old school daze" we actually liked to understand the words in the music too, albeit it at volume levels that rate a ticket today.

Larry

3558 likely makes 40rms @4 ohms and 70 @2 ohms. Since bridged is 2 ohms its 70+70=140. I like old alpines too, the sound is good. Power not real impressive compared to others, but not bad. Yeah I like the 35xx amps mostly. Have some newer to try, including MRVs. They changed the PS on most newer ones but used similar outputs, if that matters. The newest ones I have seen are made in China but appear very machine made with SMD. I looked at a M650 and sure it has a FOUR layer board in it. I've not seen that before, though it may be out there. The F345 I have and want to try soon has a tiny power supply, but maybe it is that advanced. Have a T757 and it is odd it has all TO-220 in it instead of BJT, or IIRC that is the one that is like that. I've noticed that some companies over the years have similar design cues like Alpine/Kenwood/HK who have used the same/similar outputs for a long time. There are only certain amps that have green colored output transistors. I tend to have way more problems with distortion in head units and processors than amps, amps just run out of power and distort they are large enough or not. However I like an amp that is EQed right, many new ones are so flat. I'd rather not use any EQ on the front end maybe a hangover of the old days. Old amps are often rated at 12 or 12.5v also, not ~14.