While they last...

@marantzfan I believe the answer to this is an unsatisfying sort of. Nelson gave a talk and published a paper with some starting points with very simple schematics but I wouldn't call them a full design. Nelson didn't publish the schematics of any of the FirstWatt SIT amps for the DIY community as I think many of us hoped for. You can find Nelson's paper and references to some older threads about light bulb SITs etc. here https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/baf-2022-sit-amps.391430/post-7152695

Then there is this thread which I haven't followed closely, but it seems to include a complete design https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...uff-and-defisit-amplifier.392733/post-7187264.

And this thread seems to me to be the most complete although as far as I know @Ben Mah is the only person who has completed the build. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...mu-follower-amplifier-45w.371187/post-6623893

@Zen Mod sells boards/parts kits that use SITs although I bought his SissySIT and didn't feel I would have been successful building it so I sold it on. Others with more knowledge/experience than me have had better luck.

If there are other designs using the THF 51S I would love to know about them also.

Reactions: 1 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@marantzfan .......

If there are other designs using the THF 51S I would love to know about them also.

Boyz did several thingies with SITs, loaded with Mu stage or choke, and both common drain and common source arrangements

just do a search in Pass subforum, with "SIT" in title

what I did, covered in this list

Reactions: 1 user
There will be more, just be a little more patient.

:snail: :snail::snail:

Ooops, looks like more good trouble on the horizon…🙂

This means that i simply will have to build at least three SIT class A - amplifier variations during 2023. 2 Zen Mod variations, and one Pass variation. Well two Pass if counting the coming Front End 2022.

Life is good 2023, more than triple good trouble on ze horizon🎷🙂🎸

• Thank You
Still eagerly waiting

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_011347.jpg
    IMG_20221220_011347.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 189
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Nelson would not have said “while they last….” If he didn’t have projects in mind. For twent years the man has given us an incredible trove of full designs with board layouts. I guarantee that at some point we will see some for the Tokin devices.

In the interim if you want to build something build ZMs Singing Bush: boards and lots of support are available.

Nelson would not have said “while they last….” If he didn’t have projects in mind. For twent years the man has given us an incredible trove of full designs with board layouts. I guarantee that at some point we will see some for the Tokin devices.

In the interim if you want to build something build ZMs Singing Bush: boards and lots of support are available.
To me, he is taking his time to make the best possible approach with it. It will Likely be is Last shot at making a public SIT audio designs, since if the designs he will publish are sucessfull, the stock of NOS Vfet will vanish. For who those who like triode amplification but dislike the prohibitive cost of the tubes and witness the dissapearance of tube audio output tranformer makers, it is a small inconvenience that we should be capable to live with.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed and looking forward to it! I'm hoping he'll be offering some kits at the diyAudio Store like with the Sony K82/J28 V-FETs ... :)

Hi

If someone was going to buy some Tokin SIT from the known eBay reliable source would you choose the 2SK182ES or the THF-51S ?
Physically they look identical, even the asking price for the roughly matched pair is the same. Are the Ciss and other specs the same?

What would the folks who heard them both suggest? Any preferences?

Thanks
Eric

Attachments

• C0B6566F-DB57-4131-BEAB-D7E96387A3BB.png
    C0B6566F-DB57-4131-BEAB-D7E96387A3BB.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited: