While they last...

I found another power jfet but unfortunatly it does not have triode like curves.
The curves may varie a lot from batch having a 70ma turn on voltage of
-6 to - 14. In the few I bougth when I let them self bias with a 8 ohm resistor mine
acted like a rather nice 1.12 A CCS over a voltage range of 12 to 100 V . But I know
someone else here reported his didn't respond like this. The reason I wanted to
point this 190W $ 12 device is it biases a lot like a 2sk180 . and for early testing
like in that proposed source follower with the 300W light bulbe this cheaper device
might be a good subsitute.

Attachments

• DS_UJ3N065080K3S.pdf
    295.8 KB · Views: 87
Parallel a 220R or so to the speaker output so the cap can discharge when no speaker is connected.
Like so. Nice to set it straight. (But please keep on correcting.)
BTW, this front end could of course be the preamplifier. But I have a B-1 with unity gain, so somewhere the gain has to be developed. (Well... I also have a pletora of preamplfiers with gain.)
This is just a hastily simulation, e.g. I do not have 2SJ313/2SK2013 spice models, but neither do I have more of those MOSFETs so... The FQP3N30/FQP3P20 seems to be to some degree still available.
1696361722758.png

I found another power jfet but unfortunatly it does not have triode like curves.
The curves may varie a lot from batch having a 70ma turn on voltage of
-6 to - 14. In the few I bougth when I let them self bias with a 8 ohm resistor mine
acted like a rather nice 1.12 A CCS over a voltage range of 12 to 100 V . But I know
someone else here reported his didn't respond like this. The reason I wanted to
point this 190W $ 12 device is it biases a lot like a 2sk180 . and for early testing
like in that proposed source follower with the 300W light bulbe this cheaper device
might be a good subsitute.
SIC power JFETs are certainly interesting components. The measurements you obtained unfortunately highlight their main limitation: It is difficult to select two components with similar characteristics. It is a pity. Few years ago I bought three JFET (UJN1208K). I was lucky, they are very similar.
This is an Ids/Vds graph. The linearity is definitely better than an IRFP9240.

Attachments

• UJN-jpg.jpg
    UJN-jpg.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IRFP-jpg.jpg
    IRFP-jpg.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 66
These curves show quite a bit of thermal runaway due to self heating during testing. This may add to the (alleged?) non-linearity. But linearity is usually not so much the point when it's about "triode" vs "pentode" curves.

It would be nice to test a batch of UJN1208K with temperature controled at a fixed value and then compare the curves.

Before carrying out the measurements I cooked the transistors at around 50°C. I interpreted the UJN graph as a FET that belatedly remembers that is a pentode.
The IRFP is not chosen at random. It is paired with the JFET for an DEF Amp (Vg=-4.1V, Vg=23V, Id=1.3A).
In the photo of my measurement system there is a THF-51S. Let's talk about SITs and therefore this is the Id/Vd graph. IT's definitely not accurate at high current.

Attachments

• Test misure THF.jpg
    Test misure THF.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 110
  • THF-jpg.jpg
    THF-jpg.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 111