where have you been all my life sealed speakers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you ever listen to Boston Lynnfield 500 L or 400L : closed band pass with two 7" :

fast and deep pass, the second one is my everyday speaker... 35 hz to 125 hz : third order : first mechanical (around 90 hz)+ second electrical order...

Second are near : kef 104/2 : two 8 " ; xo at 150 !

real mid bass for both, second without Cube has only superb mi-bass wich is enough for rock in most home !

If a big boy one day : I dream for VOTT for mid-bass...with a huge closed cabinet only for bass with a simple (infinite) air load...behind the cone ! Just need the money, the room and a house away from neighboors... haha !

They are OB, no I haven't but would like to. Im still using Boston T830 and the two sealed M&K subs. Its quite a nice combination. Fluidity and natural has been mentioned, they absolutely have that. I want more, not better but bigger.

Cal I would take you up on the generous offer but I don't see being that far western Canada any time soon. Ive had missions and several sets of paradigm as well as energy and totem. Lots of ported systems. For now I'm hooked on the sealed sound. Will be seeking more in that direction. I have components to build 3 ways but time is on a bit of a crunch. That will have to wait until I get some vacation time this summer.

Last edited:
Cal I would take you up on the generous offer but I don't see being that far western Canada any time soon.

This is disappointing, I was hoping you could bring some maple syrup with you. It goes well on pancakes, salmon, ice cream, you name it. I especially like the really earthy, woody stuff you get from those 'out in the country' folks. You sure you're not coming out? :)

This is disappointing, I was hoping you could bring some maple syrup with you. It goes well on pancakes, salmon, ice cream, you name it. I especially like the really earthy, woody stuff you get from those 'out in the country' folks. You sure you're not coming out? :)

Oh yes it goes great on pancakes AND salmon. I have a great connection for syrups and preservative free honeys straight from a bee farmer, from alfalfa (which Im not particularly fond of) to wild berry and everything in between. Too bad salmon wouldn't keep in the mail or we could arrange some kind of trade lol

Shall we get back on topic with sealed speakers? I like this sort of thing, so I'll tell you about a couple of vintage treasures in this genre.

I used to have these popular 1970's Wharfedale Linton speakers, and quite decent they were too....................
Speaking of cone tweeters & sealed eight(?) inch woofers, the Henry Kloss-designed Model Sixes are still being sold after nearly 23 years after their introduction:

store.cambridgesoundworks.com/dp/B0034ZZ5W6

I used to sell them at a big-box store I worked at in the mid-90s and liked their smooth/warm sound quality.

Speaking of cone tweeters & sealed eight(?) inch woofers, the Henry Kloss-designed Model Sixes are still being sold after nearly 23 years after their introduction:

Cambridge SoundWorks Model Six Bookshelf Speakers- Pair : Speakers

I used to sell them at a big-box store I worked at in the mid-90s and liked their smooth/warm sound quality.

8" bass is difficult, because the time alignment is terrible, and getting phase right is the big problem. Troels Gravesen has built a very good speaker that is not actually dissimilar to the KLH Model 6 in concept.
TQWT-

Taking crossover lower makes for less cone breakup from the bass, IF you can find a tweeter that is good enough. It has problems at 3 and 6kHz mainly. The 6kHz is the worst one IMO, and sounds very harsh. Troels' bass filter is good IMO. I use something similar, but I had to use a different 3rd order tweeter wired negative polarity to get some phase alignment. You can see below that we can improve on the simple bass coil approach with some rolloff and a 6kHz notch.

If I had taken the crossover lower, I would have had to recess the bass about 2cm to line up phase. Not an option for me.

Attachments

• Single Coil V. 2nd. Order plus Notch.JPG
    Single Coil V. 2nd. Order plus Notch.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 169
Hi System7, do you have some thoughts to offer on this seas prestige 8? My plans are a 3 way closed box with 8 H1288-08 - Seas CA22RNX 8 inch woofer - Europe Audio

I have this vifa on hand to use for my mid range Vifa P17WJ-00 6-1/2" Woofer | 297-305
I have read many times this works very well as a midrange having very smooth characteristics and being forgiving and not as difficult to incorporate as some others are.

And moving up to the highs I chose this audax TW025A26 The Madisound Speaker Store

I have a 6 ch amplifier that will be put on active duty. Would this combination be difficult to get right and sound great?

I built a pair of sealed hexagonal prisms back in thr late 70,s, iinspired by an Audio magazine article on doppler distortion. They were originally each loaded with 16 pieces of a cheap 5" Westwelll driver per side, with 3 Moto piezo.tweeters, later changed to Vifa dome tweeters.
Those speakers have gone through some changes, and are currently sitting idle.
I plan to give them a new lease on life by loading them with the MCM 5"" aluminum cone drivers, with 4 pieces of the little Fountek full ranges instead of tweeters. I want to use a relatively low crossover freq to stay away from the aluminum cone breakup.

The cabinets were originally made of cheap particle board, so they'll get a sand-down and a coat of truck bed liner to cover up 35 years of various sins of expediency. The biggest thing standing in my way is figuring out how to route out flush mounting on 32 holes after the fact.

That's not the real question. The problem is how to apply the routing for flush mounting to holes that were already made 35 years ago. Standard wisdom is to route first, then cut out the hole. One idea might be to use a guide plate that I would temporarily mount in place behind each hole. The plate would have a center hole so I cold use my Router Buddy to put a step around the hole periphery.

That's pretty much as I described in post #73. The task at hand is complicated by the fact the the boxes are all together, very much together, and will never come apart with anything short of a sledgehammer massage. I used Liquid Nails on the mating surfaces, an approach that early on I thought was a serious mistake. Once the stuff really set up, I changed my mind, as it stuck like sh** to a blanket, and provided inter-panel damping.

Hi System7, do you have some thoughts to offer on this seas prestige 8? My plans are a 3 way closed box with 8 H1288-08 - Seas CA22RNX 8 inch woofer - Europe Audio

I have this vifa on hand to use for my mid range Vifa P17WJ-00 6-1/2" Woofer | 297-305
I have read many times this works very well as a midrange having very smooth characteristics and being forgiving and not as difficult to incorporate as some others are.

And moving up to the highs I chose this audax TW025A26 The Madisound Speaker Store

I have a 6 ch amplifier that will be put on active duty. Would this combination be difficult to get right and sound great?

I think it's a bonkers idea really. Have you any idea how hard it is to build a three way even with carefully selected drivers, rather than random sales bargains? :D
DIY Loudspeakers

The SEAS CA22RNX is not totally easy except as a bass driver. Tony Gee does a two way series XO design for it, called the Classic at Humble Homemade Hifi. The Vifa PL17WJ is a bit of a smooth treasure for a two way. You might again even do a series crossover if that interests you. I think you should get on with that one, rather than accumulating more drivers.

Can the 3 way idea not be made to work in an active setup, I'm not indulging in a crossover attempt at this point and time :D. I was using the vifa in a 2way mini stand mount. But then some 3 ways (mentioned previously) came along and bumped them off the stage. And now I want bigger badder 3 ways, full size. That play louder and offer even more smooth mid range detail (if possible), you dig?

Closed box is a flippin' nightmare on cabinet construction. It does tend to rattle a box most unpleasantly.

But it has "Timing" on the bass. You will tap your feet to the good rythym of closed box. :D

Reflex is not so good in that respect. There are technical reasons why the higher order bass of reflex introduces delay. The fact is that reflex bass lags the main signal. So your poor little feet get confused. :)

Plus closed box goes deeper. So if your room acoustics are big and good, you get a good deep sound.

Trouble is, most bass drivers these days are designed for reflex. It's easier to do reflex cheap. A good closed box gets quite elaborate on bracing and damping. Think B&W matrix cabinets for instance.

But I agree, closed box is more satisfying really. :cool:

a closed box would rattle if not properly braced. I found over-engineering the internal bracing and using silicone helps with rattling. :D.

a good, properly tuner bass reflex cabinet can sound as good as a sealed cabinet but group delay will be high. by rights it will be louder and lower than a sealed cabinet but has a steeper roll off. room acoustics will affect a sealed cabinet the same as a ported cabinet in the same exact location. room modes are room modes.

PSB used the mid-bass I mentioned in #70 in a few of there stratus speakers when they were being made here, as bass in minis and as midrange further up the line. I know for certain PSB used to incorporate vifa in a lot of there speakers as did parigigm. Unless Im wrong it may not be that bonkers of an idea to use it for a mid? I wasn't able to dig up model numbers but was informed in the past by a saleman that sold psb in the 90 and had to deal with replacements. He did not confirm on the golds but it looks like some of them may of housed it. Its not easy to find model numbers but the appearance is bang on with the P17wj

Attachments

• psb_goldi_2.jpg
    psb_goldi_2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 116
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.