where have you been all my life sealed speakers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and as shown, -12db down at 50hz, also a poorly designed closed

though it might happen to be like that with most common woofers designed for a ported box, or the small 2way

a good closed design will be -6db down at 30hz :D
Really, everybody, don't be pedantic! :D

I knocked that up in two minutes in MS Paint for someone who didn't understand it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It shows the essential feature that you get an extra octave with reflex. The real McCoy is below with a 30L box and an 8" reflex driver. A closed box driver behaves similarly. But you'll do better to choose the right one usually. And go for the Vas as size if you can. But we all know that, don't we? We are, after all, PROFESSIONALS.

Attachments

• Vented Bass 30L Qts 0.3.PNG
    Vented Bass 30L Qts 0.3.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 253
Also prefer the sound of closed here. Was slightly dubious when taking the step but now my speakers are closed and any future builds will be too! Why? I just find it more rhythmic and bass lines sound more fluid.

A point which hasn't been mentioned yet too is that closed system roll-off response more closely matches the typical effects of room gain, so you tend to end up with a flatter acoustic response. Additionally, closed will usually handle a bit of EQ at the low end where a ported system might well run out of excursion.

and as shown, -12db down at 50hz, also a poorly designed closed

though it might happen to be like that with most common woofers designed for a ported box, or the small 2way

a good closed design will be -6db down at 30hz :D

a good vented -3 @28 ......... :smash:

Really, everybody, don't be pedantic! :D

I knocked that up in two minutes in MS Paint for someone who didn't understand it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It shows the essential feature that you get an extra octave with reflex. The real McCoy is below with a 30L box and an 8" reflex driver. A closed box driver behaves similarly. But you'll do better to choose the right one usually. And go for the Vas as size if you can. But we all know that, don't we? We are, after all, PROFESSIONALS.

as oppose to not being pedantic an using a woofer with a .50 qts value in a vented enclosure, better suited for seal...

Just saying ....:drink:

Also prefer the sound of closed here. Was slightly dubious when taking the step but now my speakers are closed and any future builds will be too! Why? I just find it more rhythmic and bass lines sound more fluid.

A point which hasn't been mentioned yet too is that closed system roll-off response more closely matches the typical effects of room gain, so you tend to end up with a flatter acoustic response. Additionally, closed will usually handle a bit of EQ at the low end where a ported system might well run out of excursion.

Ok to have a preference and as to Eq yes, room gain ,no , then there's all that loaded Mass and lower sensitivity .BR are much more difficult to get right , so if not experienced much easier to go Sealed.

:cool:

I'd take a different line from a.wayne and agree with you totally.

Joachim Gerhard talked about using room gain to advantage with small speakers like his Canalis Anima:

It also takes advantage of the fact that small rooms have gain in the bass – they tend to produce exaggerated bass response.

A medium-sized room by European standards has around 700 cubic feet. A room like that has a gain of 9dB at 20Hz with rise of about 4 - 6dB per octave under 200Hz.

If the speaker produces a tone of 20Hz that would read 80dB as measured at 2m in the free field (on a high stand, far away from any boundaries) and was then measured at 2m but in the above listening room at the listening seat, we would measure 89dB.

In an ideal world, I would have given these closed box 6" basses more than a tiddly 8 Litres and stuffing, but they are actually quite astonishingly good and create enough illusion of bass to satisfy. I think they have the traditional acoustic suspension advantage of very low distortion. They go loud and undistorted beyond the point where a reflex would send the cone across the room! :D

Attachments

• MS15_Final.jpg
    MS15_Final.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Sealed enclosure will have lower sensitivity at specific frequencies , I'm sure you know that ........

You're just arguing for arguings sake, my friend. :)

These 30L Monitor Audio closed boxes are 90dB efficient.

But my Auntie Vee doesn't want them. Too big. She wants the little tiddly ones for her new living room. :eek:

And if she puts them on anything but the window ledge or sideboard, I'll eat my hat! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if she wants them in white or pink too. LOL

Women have a different view of what is tolerable.

Last edited:
Closed box is a flippin' nightmare on cabinet construction. It does tend to rattle a box most unpleasantly.
That's strange, I've not had that problem. Mind you I did grow up with a hammer in one hand and a saw in the other.
I disagree. Surface area when it's time to move some air.
C'mon Steve, everyone knows if you're gonna move some air you need one 'o' them there rotary woofers.
a cone tweeter and 5" woofer in closed can sound real sweet, absolutely
Even a 5" FR can outperform some much larger drivers if you give them the right box.
These 30L Monitor Audio closed boxes are 90dB efficient.
Well Steve, I might just have you beat even with the RS1354A. Mind you not everyone can sneak a box like that into their livingroom without a wee of consternation ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 273
Steve,
1. Thank you, it's a copy of the Cornu by Daniel Ciesinger.
2. Yes, the RS 40-1354A 8Ω auto driver eh!
3. Yes, wall mounting is imperative.
4. The driver chamber is stuffed like a muffin tin liner and a small portion of the throat is as well depending on the driver and the environment. Stuffing has more effect than any other enclosure I have encountered. It's all trial and error once you have them mounted.

a.wayne,

It's my weapon of mass audio destruction. I can annoy neighbours for 100 feet all around.

It truly is the only cabinet I can think of that squeezes out every ounce of what the driver has to offer.

Super fast build and seriously fun for the speakerholic. This is the 4th one I've done.

Sorry, I just realized I've gone way off topic. My apologies to the OP. If you want me to remove these posts, I have no problem, just PM me.

Women have a different view of what is tolerable.

since every one of them I've ever known personally puts up with us and our $hit far more gracefully, or at least discretely than is the reverse case, we should be grateful of that :D

a.wayne,

It's my weapon of mass audio destruction. I can annoy neighbours for 100 feet all around.

I think that talent predated the Cornys :D

It truly is the only cabinet I can think of that squeezes out every ounce of what the driver has to offer.
you mean your favorite to date? we can never know what we don't know
Super fast build and seriously fun for the speakerholic. This is the 4th one I've done.
like OBs or PA sized front loaded horn systems than can annoy neighbour 100 blocks away, unfortunately not a design that is suitable for all domiciles

Sorry, I just realized I've gone way off topic. My apologies to the OP. If you want me to remove these posts, I have no problem, just PM me.

ditto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.