What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

in modern drivers, im very curious of the Seas Exotic. SEAS EXOTIC
and the supravox field.

Im very curious for the western 755a and wonder how it would compare to a goodman axiom 80.

Ive compared recently jbl l8t and coral beta 8 and Im not sure if they are better then alpair 12p tbh. they all have flaws that I couldnt live with.

Last edited:
The love of fullrange is SO subjective. I could not live with Coral beta 8 either too over etched in the upper register and I owned them. DIVORCE
Tang Band 1611 BORING! in my opinion only perhaps but for me that is the only one that matters. My favourites @ the moment are Philips AD 12100 W8 fullrange & Seas 30 TV-E all augmented with super tweeters ie Fostex bullet. All running correction filters and simple tweeter XO's. Heresy to some and not a single 8 in sight. So extended range tweeter assisted notch filtered and I LOVE em. The Seas has a super smooth roll off. What I don't understand is why that cannot be reproduced today? In answer to the above visit the Troels Graveson website and read about his Supravox "adventures". Used his ideas on my Philips & Tanoys so I believe him. Seas 8 exotic is most likely a safe bet but overpriced compared to say a pair of Tang Band W8 1772 from Partsexpress.

Last edited:
What flaws does the A12 have that you can't live with?
upper mid and treble lacks refinement.
Is that why they dont image well enough?

The rising response also probably mask the midrange detail. I regret selling my a12p as id like to play with EQ. I sold my a12p because they really measured badly and nothing like publish spec. by comparison my salk continuum was ruler flat and a12p showed variation of over 8db in the FR.

when I compared a12p vs coral beta 8, i def prefered a12p. the jbl l8t is very musical but seems colored. gorgeous tone however!

Interesting comment about the 12p lacking refinement. haven't read that elsewhere.

Some may be a little disappointed that the A12p lacks the pinpoint imaging of a high end tweeter, but they do a decent enough job, considering the size of the cone. Certainly the smaller MA (and other makes) can give a better sense of 3D depth to the music, but to call them unrefined may be a bit unfair.

jeff

The love of fullrange is SO subjective. I could not live with Coral beta 8 either too over etched in the upper register and I owned them. DIVORCE
Tang Band 1611 BORING! in my opinion only perhaps but for me that is the only one that matters. My favourites @ the moment are Philips AD 12100 W8 fullrange & Seas 30 TV-E all augmented with super tweeters ie Fostex bullet. All running correction filters and simple tweeter XO's. Heresy to some and not a single 8 in sight. So extended range tweeter assisted notch filtered and I LOVE em. The Seas has a super smooth roll off. What I don't understand is why that cannot be reproduced today? In answer to the above visit the Troels Graveson website and read about his Supravox "adventures". Used his ideas on my Philips & Tanoys so I believe him. Seas 8 exotic is most likely a safe bet but overpriced compared to say a pair of Tang Band W8 1772 from Partsexpress.
anyone compared seas exotic f8 to Tang Band W8 1772?

how refined is the philips? very interesting driver!

Last edited:
Hi
How blue is the sky? How big is infinity? How refined is the Philips? That is impossible to answer. I think it is the most balanced fullrange driver I've ever owned . It has faults that every driver of this sort have but they don't bother me like it did with the others. To my ears it gets realistic tone right. So if that defines refinement then I guess it is.

Correction.Goodmans triaxiom & Tang Band 1611 I borrowed off Adelaide speakers. The polypropylene signature didn't do it for me. But aside from that not bad. Also tried a Jordan 2 inch line array when they were manufactured in China. Disaster! 38 Hz Fs variance in a "matched" set of 8 for a pair of line arrays. Needless to say they went back under warranty. Also a line array of Fountek FE85's. Too non linear a frequency response for my taste. So yes I have tried some newbies. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
fostex f200a is on my list.
Chris, have you heard the SEAS exotic?

My experience with 8" full rangers is limited compared to smaller drivers, so no -but at approx 1/5 the cost, FA22RCZ wasn't at all hurtful for a whizzer coned 8".

In the right box (SuperPensil), the Alpair12P is a great performer, but at 89 litres, not the tiniest of enclosures.

Fostex FE206 ESR was another one that needed a small fridge sized and weighted enclosure for full effect.

Re the F200A - my audition to those was in an unusual arrangement of Bud's - mounted completely unencumbered by enclosure, and with support of dual TL woofers. The midrange to as far as the top end went was quite captivating - nuanced, detailed and with depth well past the back wall.

TB W8 1772 has its charms - certainly decent bottom, but I find female vocals a bit nasal for my taste - nowhere as open as the Alpair12P