What's on your workbench???

The generator will be 50Ω output impedence, so just use coax with BNC connectors.

Don’t skimp on the probes for the oscilloscope. Ideally you want probes with 3-5 times the bandwidth of the CRO, or else the probe will cause additional rolloff at high frequencies.

Lots of CROs use additional contacts around the probe for ID, so unless you use the right probe you’ll get the wrong divisor.

Are you saying a 200MHz probe isn't matched to a 200MHz 'scope?

Exactly. The probes should be several times higher in bandwidth [and cost] to get [nearly] the full scope bandwidth.
This is a little detail that the scope mfrs don't usually mention. A ''200 MHz'' probe description means that the
probe itself has a bandwidth of 200MHz.

If you cascade two equal, buffered RC filters, the corner is lower in frequency. I'd use 500MHz probes with
a 200MHz scope, at a minimum, if you need the full 200MHz bandwidth.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi diyralf,
Wow! A RTX6001 !
They exist around here.

If you look lower right, you can see one peeking out from around a black Simpson 260 meter. Directly below the HP 3585A Spec-an.

They do tend to lurk!

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN7482.jpg
    DSCN7482.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 342
Exactly. The probes should be several times higher in bandwidth [and cost] to get [nearly] the full scope bandwidth.
This is a little detail that the scope mfrs don't usually mention. A ''200 MHz'' probe description means that the
probe itself has a bandwidth of 200MHz.

If you cascade two equal, buffered RC filters, the corner is lower in frequency. I'd use 500MHz probes with
a 200MHz scope, at a minimum, if you need the full 200MHz bandwidth.
Ah, that's useful, I'd not realized they weren't usable BW figures - so a 200MHz probe would be a suitable choice for 100MHz 'scope to make full use of the bandwidth?

Then again I use the probes that came with the 'scope, and they seem flat to the limit of the 'scope judging by the rectangularity of fast logic waveforms.

My nice B&K Precision 878 LCR meter just arrived.

It's a lovely instrument. After a quick open cal I'm able to measure small capacitors reliably to a precision of 0.1pF, which is something I've never been able to do at home before (my Fluke 87 runs out at 10pF).

I'm really liking the spring-loaded slots for sticking leaded components into. It works well with my fixture for testing MELF and chip parts too, having a pair of banana jacks.

Sure, at 4 digits and ~1% on capacitance it's not as accurate as the newer 880 (4 3/4 digit and 0.1% accuracy), but it's plenty good enough for my needs.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 191
Ah, that's useful, I'd not realized they weren't usable BW figures - so a 200MHz probe would be a suitable choice for 100MHz 'scope to make full use of the bandwidth?

Then again I use the probes that came with the 'scope, and they seem flat to the limit of the 'scope judging by the rectangularity of fast logic waveforms.

It sorta depends on what you're trying to measure. A 100 MHz probe will work at 100 MHz on a 100 MHz oscilloscope, but the amplitude will be out, and it depends on how you've adjusted the trimmer cap in the probe. If you're only interested in seeing that a signal is there or not, that's fine. If you care about reliably measuring amplitudes, then no.

Going with probes that are significantly wider bandwidth than your oscilloscope means this is progressively less of an issue. I use P6106A probes (250 MHz) on my TDS340A CRO (100 MHz) and that works pretty well.

There is one on my bench as well, not quite as well hidden as Chris's.

The machine in front of it is my 1982 Otari MX-5050BII-2 which was just completing another phase of overhaul + modifications.

Love the Otari reel deck. We had one of these when I was a child, then later an Akai cross-field deck. I remember recording my new love over gold LP onto tape at 7.5 IPS, then packing away the LP and only listening to the reel. Of course I subsequently lost the LP that I was trying so hard to keep pristine, but you get that when you're a kid.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzy,
I have two of them, the other is a MKIII-2 which is a little further along on the mods front, and I think sounds a bit better. These machines were gifted to me by various people over the past few months, they represent a sizeable investment in time, money and sweat equity.. LOL

Back in my teens I had a Hitachi cassette deck and an Oki-Denki R2R which ran at 7.5ips on a good day, and mostly didn't. (2 head single motor)

The RTX-6001 on my bench was part of the diyA group buy like Chris's, probably one of the best deals I have ever gotten on a piece of test equipment.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My nice B&K Precision 878 LCR meter just arrived.

It's a lovely instrument. After a quick open cal I'm able to measure small capacitors reliably to a precision of 0.1pF, which is something I've never been able to do at home before (my Fluke 87 runs out at 10pF).

I'm really liking the spring-loaded slots for sticking leaded components into. It works well with my fixture for testing MELF and chip parts too, having a pair of banana jacks.

Sure, at 4 digits and ~1% on capacitance it's not as accurate as the newer 880 (4 3/4 digit and 0.1% accuracy), but it's plenty good enough for my needs.

Looks great, I have an Agilent U1732B which works rather well compared to its predecessors. I am not sure what the minimum capacitance is that I can measure reliably but it doesn't have problems with 100pF 2% caps and above so far.