What's on your workbench???

SuzyJ,

Can we chat about AC power distribution?

In the US these days we now have not just ground fault circuit interrupters, but also arc fault circuit breakers. I was surprised when my arc fault unit kept tripping. Turned out it had a reason! Might not have know about it it otherwise. So it could have been nothing or a fire. I won't know as it made me find the loose connection.

But we can also look at a better mains power distribution for a test bench. Never enough outlets and with all the low power gizmos needing power it might be handy to include a current sense transformer just to be sure.

I also have AC isolation transformers, variable AC voltage and of course a light bulb box.

ES

We don't do arc-fault breakers here, but all my outlets are protected by RCDs.

I have a plan to redo the desk top. When I do that I'll add a row of IEC outlets under the back edge - much as is done in racks. I'll also have a basket or shelf suspended underneath at the back for the various power supplies and leads for things.

I don't use light bulbs for initial turn on of things - preferring to power from a lab supply. In general I don't like to mess with mains voltage stuff.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzy,
Now that is nice and neat! I always love how clean you manage to keep your work area. The rear mounted outlets will clean things up further. Nice touch.

I often use power supplies to test equipment or subsections. For AC Mains, most things will run through a B&K 1655 AC supply. It's just a variac and isolation transformer. I really like the isolation transformer part. I have a couple other isolation transformers for systems that don't go through the B&K unit.

-Chris

Making progress on the other half of my work area, for construction activities. Still to install the bench, but have installed a bunch of Ikea shelf units with many drawers and clear plastic containers to organise bits and pieces. I’ve left a gap in the middle for another big Raaco drawer cabinet, and there’s some more largish plastic containers coming, to swallow the last few moving boxes (mostly lengths of wire and cable).

It’s nice to be able to display some of my vintage computers too, rather than hiding them in boxes.

Next to install the bench. I’m thinking of more Karri wood, with an 1800 x 800 top so there’s plenty of room for the microscope and soldering iron. The back wall is common to the garage, so later I might plumb compressed air in for desoldering.

Attachments

• 1F6D4F6C-E18C-49EE-AE05-630D86EBC3D2.jpg
    1F6D4F6C-E18C-49EE-AE05-630D86EBC3D2.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 380
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzy,
My gosh is that ever neat and clean. So much so that it is doubtful that you and I are even from the same species!

Clearly you have a greater capacity for style and cleanliness than I ever will. hat's off to you!

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN7100 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7100 (Large).JPG
    515.7 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN7104 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7104 (Large).JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 355
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Chris-
Yours is pretty together. If you are a different species I must be an alien from a lessor universe.

Lots of parts just don't fit in the parts bins so the shgoebox size plastic boxes have been very useful. Still not big enough for some stuff. I have large boxes of cables, wall wart supplies etc. squirreled away elsewhere.

Still with all this stuff I often am ordering stuff from eBay and Amazon to fix or finish projects. Dealing with all the boxes they come in is a pain as well. The scope on the cart is a Tek 7613 w/ a 7L12 spectrum analyzer.

Attachments

• parts wall.jpg
    parts wall.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 360
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Demian,
LOL!
I didn't show you the boxes I keep for various parts and projects! That and I have storage squirrelled away everywhere down here. I'm afraid we might be relatives in fact!

I use Avaya module boxes because of their size, and I was able to get a lot of them. Boxes all the same size are so much easier to store.

How do you find those Tek frame type 'scopes? I'm not that happy with my 2465B, but we'll see after it undergoes a cap-ectomy.

I like your test lead storage. Did you make that yourself? Those things are expensive to buy. OF course I also need the space for leads as well.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzy,
Yes, mostly bought over time, and the last 6 recently as I needed to organise small parts. I was starting to lose them, and that can cost more than the cabinets. THe resistors and capacitors cabinets were bought used. The others picked up along the way. I also had a bunch of mismatched small ones that really gave me a headache just looking at them. They would not stack neatly.

The last couple were bought at full retail, and one type was discontinued quietly. THere is a hole for one more when i find another.

Just think. Now I have to organise the parts, and label all the drawers with a P-Touch. That will happen slowly over time with interim markings using a Sharpie. I get tired just thinking about it.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My first real scope was a Tek 547, before that I had some WWII surplus stuff that was not too useful. The 547 with plugins got me hooked. At one point I had 5 plugins for it. then I moved to the 7000 series. The heat from the 547 was a big issue (a 500W heater whenever running with a big fan). The lab scopes really need a cart (even the latest generation, including the $1,000,000 one from Tek). You need space to accommodate a cart.

I currently have 3 7854's (2 backups if it breaks, probably dumb because they just don't in light service). That lead to the 7K frame with the Wavetek FFT spectrum analyzer plugin. The Tek 5K next to it is a dual beam so I can see simultaneous events at low frequencies. I use them to see audio waveform, distortion waveform and distortion spectrum. When I get the same from a digital analyzer + software I'll replace this stuff, maybe.

The hazard is collecting plugins. As you can see it may get out of hand. In the cabinet are a variety of plugins including 7a13 and 7A22 high gain differential plugins, 7L5 spectrum analyzer with tracking oscillator two TDR's with sampler modules and many vertical amps and timebases.

This is also a demonstration of the declining value of technology. The 7854 with plugins was around $20K new in the 1980's. I bought a house in San Jose for a similar price then. The scope is worth maybe $300. The house over $1,000,000. There are a lot of lessons in this.

Attachments

• Plugins.jpg
    Plugins.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 439
  • spectrum and waveform.jpg
    spectrum and waveform.jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 442
  • 7854.jpg
    7854.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 461
As my Dad once told me, God does not make anymore land :)

I keep most of my small passives/semi's in plastic bags, those storage bins can get out of control, esp if you want a bunch of different E96 series of resistors on hand.

Nice collection of Tek plugins and mainframes. That Wavetek fft looks pretty cool, some plugin I have never seen before. You're the champ :)

Cheers
Rick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Demian,
Wow, nice collection.

If I were to try a Tek lab scope out, it would be the 7000 series. I even ended up with two plugins - so your warning is well heeded. :)

Space for it is the big question mark, and it would have to go on a scope mobile. No ifs, and or buts on that!............

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzy,
Really clean. Are you going to use one of the silicone mats to solder on? I wish I had space for a soldering area apart from the main bench. It would also be nice if the bench could be kept clean like yours is Suzy.

Your clean work surfaces are what I aspire to. You give me a goal to shoot for, but will probably never attain.

Best, Chris

Jackinnj: Love the SG505 & SG501A. We had one at work many years ago when I built my first power amp. Was quite a cool piece of kit. I’d grab one now if I could find one.

Chris: Ya I’ll grab a mat for this bench and for my test area as well to protect the surface. I think some static dissipative ones would be nice. It’s so nice to have an organised workspace, and have an easily accessible home for everything.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Suzy,
I was looking at the ones on Amazon. I was using thinner plastic for floors, but the stuff keeps curling up at the front. The anti-static ones are what I was looking at as well. They are dear though.

They used to have a plastic blanket for printing presses for the drums. They are a plastic-cloth or fiber construction. The fiber side is down and the actual plastic is very heat resistant. I have one little piece left that will go on a "lazy Susan" (no one can say that about you!). It is the perfect work surface and I'd love to find more of the stuff. The lazy Susan has been in use for 20 years now at least and it will go another 20 without too much trouble. This is what I place equipment on to work and it allows me to spin the work around as needed.

-Chris

If those mats are anything like the printing blankets, they will be well worth every penny.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I got two different silicone mats. They are nice, especially for dismantling cell phones. However they are NOT antistatic. I checked with the correct instrument and the surface resistance is in the gigohms. Keep that in mind when working with real static sensitive stuff like sampling scopes.