What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

A lot of time, elbow grease, achy muscles, stained fingers, dirty rags and drops cloths, and an aromatically pungent garage for days. :rolleyes:
There are shortcuts with new technologies - a single coat product:
https://rubiomonocoat.com/en

My brother-in-law had a joinery factory the last 30 odd years and thinks this mono coat product is the best thing since sliced bread.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench is the slot loaded open baffle. Installing woofers today. Checked polarity with a 9v battery. Wired for nominal 4ohms and they all push air out of slot with +ve polarity.
BBA5EC7F-9C4E-42D2-A2D2-9BCFD17A4981.jpeg

Size comparison with TLs:
6E6975AC-C039-4E44-A47D-113A95173F65.jpeg

17CDD16D-668E-4B51-A918-AB2BD36213F7.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench tonight is the crossover for the SLOB.
1648284959309.png

1648284971459.png

1648284985555.jpeg

1648285003775.jpeg

Oh man, this is a very special speaker. One of the best I have heard ever. So clear and a joy to listen to. Articulate and powerful OB bass with 91dB sensitivity! Incredible.

Recording of speaker playing on mono using my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
for my taste the highs are a bit off on the drums (1st few acoustic samples)- a little tizzy. Brighter than reality. I'm a 6 decade drummer (wore earplugs always the last 30 years). The dynamics are killer. Sometimes the low mids struck me as bloated, but that may be the recording. Much of the sample recordings were full of effects and production garbage. I love the acoustic bass sound. Not surprised the overall sound is HUGE!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The drum sound excellent is it S Harsch transient perfect type x-over? Did you do the phase measurement by any chance? Excellent work no doubt.
The phase is flat from 500Hz on up but varies linearly below woofer crossover. It is quasi transient perfect above 500Hz between the mid and tweeter but not the bass and mids. The only way to get the bass tune aligned would be to use DSP and active amplification.
Here is measured phase:
1648750616009.jpeg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
for my taste the highs are a bit off on the drums (1st few acoustic samples)- a little tizzy. Brighter than reality. I'm a 6 decade drummer (wore earplugs always the last 30 years). The dynamics are killer. Sometimes the low mids struck me as bloated, but that may be the recording. Much of the sample recordings were full of effects and production garbage. I love the acoustic bass sound. Not surprised the overall sound is HUGE!
The highs may be a bit “hot” since camera and mic are located above measurement axis (mid woofer). There is abundant detail and maybe 4.7R padding might be better. I’ll give that a try. The dynamics of the slot loaded open baffle woofers is very nice. The bloated mid bass might be the recording.

Thanks for the feedback.