What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
More progress on speaker is posted in original thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/cheap-and-fast-ob-literally.249984/post-6971724

They are almost completed and will be delivered tomorrow. :)

1647534312374.jpeg

1647534337752.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It is not as big or imposing as I thought it would be. In person, it is quite compact and very livable in size and presence. Takes up 12in x 14in of floorspace and is 45in tall. I need to stain this before I go too much farther because once I install the drivers, the activation energy to remove them and do the stain and finsih work is tremendous.

"Activation energy" - somehow, I know what you mean.

When I look at them, my mind want to put a top on the woofer "half", then you can set any type of speaker on top, keeping the unique OB bass. Including the upper structure as-is, but assembled with a baseboard. I like the removable baffle, encouraging to try different "top" drivers / sets via easy swap-out.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the “tops” you can try out are limitless. Could even be a large 8in full range driver. Or a small DML, or a large single planar, etc. This was a prototype and as such, I am not fully committed to choice of mid range of mid bass driver yet. I am exploring 5FE100 vs 6FE100. Both excellent drivers. I can also see a single TB W5-2143 as being very nice too.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
#000 steel wool sanding and then second coat of BLO. Let dry for 45min and wipe off. I’ll repeat this again tomorrow and that should be the final finish with 3 coats of BLO. The finish looks deeper and deeper with each coat. After the oil has been wiped off a few hours later I rub it down with brown paper bags crumpled up into a ball for a buff.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, Anand. I’m getting closer to installing the 8 woofers and taking a frequency sweep. This is going to tell us a lot about how to approach the crossover frequency, slope and what to set the sensitivities of the mid and tweeter. Someone wants me to take a sweep with and without the wings. I can tell you, the wings make a big difference on the lower frequency.

That someone is me, but no pressure.

I'm curious because I am a bit far from building my own open baffle, and you have everything ready, including the measuring setup!

What I'd do as tests is remove the wings and use them to test extending the front baffle. For me this is the Zen of OB: driver and only front baffle, minimal support for standing, driver not near edge.