What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work on that waveguide! Never thought about it for the back wave. 3D printing can work very well for 1 of a kind jobs like this. I only went CNC on mine because I need 200 of them for a commercial product.
The TPL150 is a superb driver. I designed a synergy horn around them. Check it out here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/sirvalences-tpl-150-sb23nrxs-point-source-horn.353508/
Also check out the TPL150 synergy that I helped designed at an installation for a recent event near Joshua Tree here:

6F869FEC-8EF9-41FE-B122-0CBCCB9A4390.jpeg

I'm lucky to have brought home a sizeable stash of tubes before we closed the shop.
Most all are GE, RCA, Philco, Tung Sol, Raytheon, Dynavox, Zenith, etc originals, all types.
Generally, I don't envy other people, but seeing how much prices have increased and are still increasing, having a tube stash is a good thing, so well done!

I found another supplier yesterday, I might give them a try. They also look out for outfits that close down and buy their stocks so they have a huge stash to choose from. I'd like some subminiature pentode/triodes, and maybe one day go for a DHT triode route for some circuits.

Seeing the tube price increases, even for tubes not considered too well by builders a few years ago, this is fast becoming an expensive hobby, so after the hybrid headphone amp and the tube preamp, I might tone things down a bit and experiment with solid-state again, at least until those supply chain issues are resolved and prices cool down.

The good thing is that instead of returning that tube, I am going to keep it and use it for the less conventional circuit experiments, because if it dies, I won't be too sad about it :D

Some thoughts this morning: we can chase really accurate amplification, but then on listening, if it all loses some euphonic character, we may not like it, although the build is technically better. Application for mastering is quite different from application for music reproduction for enjoyment or toe tapping/head bobbing or dancing and singing.

Still, it is quite interesting to be able to tailor harmonics to our liking. I have been reading on that so did more research than build these past two days.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Generally, I don't envy other people, but seeing how much prices have increased and are still increasing, having a tube stash is a good thing, so well done!

I found another supplier yesterday, I might give them a try. They also look out for outfits that close down and buy their stocks so they have a huge stash to choose from. I'd like some subminiature pentode/triodes, and maybe one day go for a DHT triode route for some circuits.

Seeing the tube price increases, even for tubes not considered too well by builders a few years ago, this is fast becoming an expensive hobby, so after the hybrid headphone amp and the tube preamp, I might tone things down a bit and experiment with solid-state again, at least until those supply chain issues are resolved and prices cool down.

The good thing is that instead of returning that tube, I am going to keep it and use it for the less conventional circuit experiments, because if it dies, I won't be too sad about it :D

Some thoughts this morning: we can chase really accurate amplification, but then on listening, if it all loses some euphonic character, we may not like it, although the build is technically better. Application for mastering is quite different from application for music reproduction for enjoyment or toe tapping/head bobbing or dancing and singing.

Still, it is quite interesting to be able to tailor harmonics to our liking. I have been reading on that so did more research than build these past two days.
If you have not seen my simple preamp circuits like PCA or Hakuin, both 2 transistor SE Class A designs, they sound wonderful and add just a touch of second harmonic and descending higher orders. Mostly 3rd and a tad of 4th and nothing else. Doesn’t require tubes and makes almost any conventional Class AB or Class D amp sound better.

If you have not seen my simple preamp circuits like PCA or Hakuin, both 2 transistor SE Class A designs, they sound wonderful and add just a touch of second harmonic and descending higher orders. Mostly 3rd and a tad of 4th and nothing else. Doesn’t require tubes and makes almost any conventional Class AB or Class D amp sound better.
I sure will check them out - you have a lot of very cool builds going on. I liked the harmonic profile in one of the threads on simple class A amplification you posted. The only thing for the first circuit or so was the main device is hard to obtain.

I am more inclined to build with really easy to source devices, even salvaged parts.

Been doing some sims on simple op amps circuits today.

Another small package arrived today, some affordable nice caps, a few noval sockets. I might do some more experiments with the breadboard tube stage today too.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi YashN,

I noticed you are a tube enthusiast. If any of the following interest you, let me know. I have no use for these, so pricing is very negotiable. Most of the 12xx7 look like they have never been used.

View attachment 1005769 View attachment 1005770
7027A Hot.JPG

Tube2.JPG

The 7027 have hot spots

The 12AU7WA, !2AU7, Misc tubes, are listed below.

The 12AU7A from L>R 1st row are: (3 - Rogers Holland 9pin), (2 - No Name Canada 9pin), (1 - Sylvania + 1 - Marconi Canada 9pin), (2- Stark Canada 9pin)

The 12AU7WA & 12AU7 L>R 2nd Row: (1 - Tungsol + 1CV4003 12 AU7WA, USA 9pin), (1W... + 1? 9pin ), (1 Amperax + 1 RCA, 9pin)

The Misc. Tubes 3rd Row L>R : (1 - 12BH7A, Canada 9pin), (1 - 12AX7A, Canada, 9pin), ( 1- -Marconi 6CB6, Canada, 7pin), (1 - Rogers 6Bz6, Canada, 7pin), ( 1 - RCA 12AU6, USA, 7pin)

Thanks,

Myles

Very clean looking setup.

Did some explorations in sims this morning.

Then hopped into Lab 1 for some Tube amp circuit experiments, and right after checking the new sockets I just got, one 12AX7 slipped from my hand, fell on the floor. I heard it roll around a bit and stop.

I looked down, could't find it. Had the Behringer-labeled little 12AX7 disappeared into the shady underbelly of Lab 1?

I had to remove all my boxes of parts near the floor and look around. There seemed to be a slightly glistening contraption in a little corridor between the Lab 1 Desk and the desk right next to it.

Found it!

It couldn't just have dropped near my feet, it had to find an odd route to be out of easy reach instead.

Must have spent 20 minutes just on that and no experiment have yet been done.

Snuck back into Lab 1 for the tube experiment today.

Got the 5963 in an alternate circuit to sound good, very good. Had a look at it heater because the whole tube seems quite protected by large metal plates. Couldn't see it before as I probably kept the wiring for another type of tubes, but this time I did after rewire.

That sound got me head bobbing.

12 Volts And The Truth!

5963.JPG

The heaters, they're like little glowing red pillars inside.

5963b.JPG

The main markings: USA 5963.

5963c.JPG

You can see: COMPUTER and CMC and a bunch of numbers in a column.

5963d.JPG

'Measurement' something.

Also tested the other tubes in this circuit: 12AX7, 12AT7EH, 6DJ8 and related tubes, and all soudn very good.

There does seem to be some low level hiss. I don't know how to tame this yet. Layout probably plays a large role with that kind of response. The breadboard and flying leads everywhere doesn't help.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Snuck back into Lab 1 for the tube experiment today.

Got the 5963 in an alternate circuit to sound good, very good. Had a look at it heater because the whole tube seems quite protected by large metal plates. Couldn't see it before as I probably kept the wiring for another type of tubes, but this time I did after rewire.

That sound got me head bobbing.

12 Volts And The Truth!

View attachment 1006295

The heaters, they're like little glowing red pillars inside.

View attachment 1006296
The main markings: USA 5963.

View attachment 1006297

You can see: COMPUTER and CMC and a bunch of numbers in a column.

View attachment 1006298

'Measurement' something.

Also tested the other tubes in this circuit: 12AX7, 12AT7EH, 6DJ8 and related tubes, and all soudn very good.

There does seem to be some low level hiss. I don't know how to tame this yet. Layout probably plays a large role with that kind of response. The breadboard and flying leads everywhere doesn't help.
Red glowing pillars are outer shell, the heater wire is coiled inside...

Nice Lab adventures!... Tube hiss is sometimes intrinsic to tube buffer setpoints have a lot to do with it. Or maybe filament heater glowing too hot?
Thanks, it was fun.

Not too sure about hiss in this circuit, it might just need a lot of shielding and proper layout actually as all circuits before that one sounded without any hiss.

You may have a point about heater supply: IIRC, I used around 6V DC from P4 to P9 and P5 to P9 for the 5963 which is supposed to be related to a 12AT7 (but of course, the datasheets show that the 5963 is a tube intended for computer applications, not audio).

However, I am switching not only between circuits, but sometimes testing the other tubes I scored recently as well as the older 12AX7 and 12AT7EH in my possession, so a mistake could happen, but I don't think I'm able to erroneously have 12V go to the heaters, maybe half of 6V if I make a mistake though.

Red glowing pillars are outer shell, the heater wire is coiled inside...
That might be the case indeed, but the 5693's construction is such that everything is hidden, you can only see that protruding part. Ah wait, do you mean I am heating something other than the heater wire to red hot?

Was looking at your posts on the Chinese 6DJ8 kit you have today: it's cool because I have a few of that family to play with: one Russian Vokshod "Rocket Logo" 6H23P, one RCA 6DJ8 and one Adzam.

It's an SRPP right? I have yet to try that. Here, I won't be able to try a proper stereo SRPP as I don't have pairs of the same tube, but I can wire one channel and test it like that.