What was the last full album you listened to?

Hendrix in the West (LP version), just as stunning now as 50 years ago when I bought it: Johnny B Goode, Red House, Little Wing and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) are the highlights; the two short Isle of Wight tracks - God Save the Queen and Sgt Pepper - don't reach those heights, but who cares? Jimi plays 'Flight of the Bumblebee' for a bit of fun during Lover Man and mucks about with Blue Suede Shoes.

If you want to explore this album, make sure it's not the current Estate release, which has extra tracks but substitutes inferior versions of Little Wing and Voodoo Child due to legal argy-bargy over who owns the rights to the music. You still get Red House and Johnny B Goode, so that's nice.

A proper live album, with no overdubs.

Geoff

Lives In The Balance - anti Reagan but in reality you can be an awful lot of different nationalities and still feel the truth and power of Jackson Browne's words relating to your own country and it's actions and as always the men in the shadows of the industrial/military complex and it's blood money. In the 70s' there were so many great singer/songwriter poets and Jackson was one of them. I listen to all his LPs but this one put him right on the frontline - emotional and as spot on today as back then. People complain about the production quality of this mid 80s' LP, all I can hear is great driving searchlight music.

"Rudolf Serkin
Mozart - Piano Concertos No.21 & No.27"

Excellent album. I also like his Beethoven 'Emperor' Concerto with the NYPO and Leonard Bernstein, on an old Columbia 'Great Performances' LP; not sure what the released details would be now. Quite forward sound which suits the interpretation

Geoff

Reactions: 1 user