What was the last full album you listened to?

It was a lucky find! Last week the missus and I attended a Record Store Day event at, well, a local record store. 😁 I don't think it was an "RSD 2023" pressing because I chanced across a lone copy in one of new release bins separate from the actual event (the store was split into two sections, with the "RSD" area off-limits to us plebes before 1100). I picked up a load of other titles too, mainly re-releases of older rock albums I'd abused in my youth.

I didn't realize Record Store Day was such a big thing. During checkout the store owner told me that a lot of people had been waiting in the parking lot since 0500 to secure a place in line for when the store opened at 0900. He said several titles - Taylor Swift in particular - sold out early, to the consternation of many.

Screenshot_20230501-224542~2.png

Dan Fogelberg: Home Free

51UNGoXLdvL.jpg

Let me quote myself from some of my previously-published writings:

Dan Fogelberg, Home Free

The singer-songwriter phenomenon reached a high-water mark in the "Terribly Sensitive Male" Sub-Category with Dan Fogelberg's 1972 début album Home Free. Fogelberg combines intelligent lyrics with rewardingly-acoustical production values, delicately tinkling pianos, and a nearly weightless falsetto voice… Home Free will either work for you, or it won't. I think that there are some very worthwhile tracks—you just have to take them at face value, and trust (or hope) that it isn't all just one big cynical put-on.

BTW, my favorite song from Home Free, "Wysteria," is a love song that seems to have been written about (or to) a vampire. (I had first assumed that it was about a young lady with major—but commonplace—emotional problems… .) You just have to give credit to a songwriter who can pen:

Was he just like all the rest
When he got to the sad part
Did he stay a bit too long
To save his heart?

And of course, the unraveling-chamber-orchestra arrangement doesn't hurt one bit.

A close runner-up in my affections is "Be On Your Way," where Fogelberg regretfully (and nearly tearfully) advises his sweetie not to let the screen door whack her in the keister as she departs. Eww-Kay.

Before you give up on Home Free, please listen to "The River." There's a lot of Neil Young in that song. After all, it was the early 1970s. Home Free was recorded in Nashville, which means it was one of the singer-songwriter albums recorded there in the wake of Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

And indeed, one session player (Kenny Buttrey) overlaps between Blonde on Blonde and Home Free. From a remove of decades, it is now rather obvious to me that Fogelberg's "The River" is a "Vietnam-Era Military-Draft-Anxiety Song." Please listen, and if you disagree, please leave a comment.

ciao,

john

Back in post #1563 I described the incident involving an old PA amp, and a Steppenwolf record cover learning how to mimic a Frisbee. Those old PA amps were lost when I had to leave home unexpectedly with only what I could stuff in my car. The memories of the loudest clean sounding guitar amp on the planet faded into a dark corner of my brain where it stayed until I was wandering the flea market at a small hamfest in Pennsylvania and I spotted one for sale. It was an impulse buy that I hadn't completely thought through. This thing was from the late 1940's and would likely need a complete rebuild. Reality set in and it went on a shelf where it sat untouched for 4 or 5 years.

I have been rearranging the basement as part of the Radon remediation project, so I put the old Stromberg Carlson in the sell pile to take to the Dayton Hamfest on Thursday........but what would it hurt to plug it in, maybe it would blow up or something. I put some crusty old tubes in it and to my surprise there was no smoke, no fireworks, is just worked! So I connected my guitar to the microphone jack with some clip leads and let it rip. The old memories were right, it's clean and LOUD. I do not need a 75 watt guitar amp, so I'll see if it sells. No, I did not, and will not put any metal output tubes in this thing. Is that a big power transformer or what!

The last full album I streamed was Curved Air Second Album since Francis Monkman (keyboards) just died. The preceding post just reminded me of another old favorite, so I'm currently streaming Twin Sons of Different Mothers, Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg

Attachments

• P4010198.JPG
    P4010198.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P4010200.JPG
    P4010200.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 47