What is wrong with op-amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would call a Bosendorfer, a Steinway and a Fazioli "competently" designed instruments.
No note on each produces anything like the same sound as the other... and it's personal preference that decides which you would choose.

I have a Kawai and a Schimmel, I'd say they're also competently designed as regards the sound. But the Schimmel (upright) has really cheap engineering on the pedals which squeak from time to time. So that aspect is not really competent.

Similarly with amplifiers... the text book perfect amps do all have a "sameness" about them on audition I find. Which isn't surprising. Do you like that sound ? and many do. If so look no further.

I'd say an amplifier is more like a photographic lens than a piano. Its not the originator of the sound, it merely passes through. So if the amplifier is heard, then that's a sign of its lack of perfection. A 'textbook perfect' amp will sound as the source sounds but louder (of course!), adding no colouration of its own.

The big question is when you are faced with "perfection" and secure in the knowledge that your amp whatever it may be is "perfect", and then some little upstart of an amp comes along, cobbled together, that absolutely wipes the floor with your "reference" on audition.

Then you must accept you've allowed yourself to be conned.

The question now is what do you do. Do you accept that you actually prefer certain types of distortion, and that really what matters is the "enjoyment factor" of the amp.

Its definitely the enjoyment factor for me, and more enjoyment always corresponds to more transparency in my experience.

Or do you stick to the idea of wrinkling out the nth degree of non linearity, the minutest distortion mechanisms etc, which still give an "unsatisfying" sound to many.

Just a sign that the right measurements are not being taken. Don't rely on them, rely on your ears!

The perfect piano can be designed on a computer, built by a robot, and then listened to by us... and we would probably prefer the old "wooden contraption" full of springs, felt, glue etc with all it's overtones, it's unique blend of harmonics and so on.

Can't tell if you're being ironic or serious here in your meaning of 'perfect'...:confused:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm... I have a Chappell, and used to have a Roland too. I'd take the Chappell anytime over the electronic. Mine used to have a squeeky pedal too lol. Think a mouse lived in there.

We can go round in circles with threads like this. I accept Jans definition, and yours too in saying that the amp should add nothing to what passes through it. But then you say trust your ears, and my ears prefer technically less "perfect" offerings. Offerings that have that "Wow" factor, that just seem to push all the right buttons musically. So again it becomes subjective. The measurements would show high levels of distortion (relatively speaking) probably of a predominance of 2H and so on as well as other non linearities.

Overview arround Perception and Emergence of Distortion

Perception & Thresholds of Nonlinear Distortion using Complex Signals
http://projekter.aau.dk/projekter/files/9852082/07gr1061_Thesis.pdf

Nonlinear perception of hearing-impaired people using
preference learning with Gaussian Processes

http://www.sps.ele.tue.nl/members/b.vries/papers/groot08-Nonlinear-perception-JASA-EL.pdf

Operational Amplifier Distortion
SG-Acoustics · Samuel Groner · IC OpAmps
http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_audio/ic_opamps/pdf/opamp_distortion.pdf
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/129202-amazing-opamp-measurement-shoot-out.html

A NEW METHODOLOGY FOR AUDIO FREQUENCY
POWER AMPLIFIER TESTING BASED ON PSYCHOACOUSTIC
DATA THAT BETTER CORRELATES WITH SOUND QUALITY
BY Daniel H. Cheever

http://www.tubesville.com/cheever_thesis.pdf

small signal distortion NFB amps
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~musiclab/feedback-paper-acrobat.pdf

The influence of schematics on power amplifier parameters
The influence of schematics on parameters
The influence of schematics on parameters - part 2

Auditory Perception of Nonlinear Distortion - Theory
Perception
http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/Distortion_AES_I.pdf
http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/Distortion_AES_II.pdf
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/109147-geddes-distortion-measurements.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/121253-geddes-distortion-perception.html

Reduction of Transistor Slope Impedance Dependent
Distortion in Large-Signal Amplifiers

http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/research/audio_lab/malcolmspubdocs/J10 Enhanced cascode.pdf

There is nothing wrong with opamps. All music that is recorded goes tru a ton of opamps in studio.
What is the point in worrying for having one/two more opamp in signal chain?
To be prices not all music recorded through opamps

TACET-Website - english

Also there are very interesting debates among sound engineers what kind of mic preamps tube or transistor works better in studios.

I like OPA2134 / 134 very much by the way, however cannot justify expensive opamps. IMHO for DIY discreet transistor design works better then pricey opamps like BF862 preamp mentioned earlier.

When equipment comes available with no distortion (neither measurable nor audible) at anything near affordable prices, we'll all stand in line for it like Apple fans buying the latest iPhone. But until then we'll be debating, and hopefully learning more about, these things.

Agreed. Than you for the link.

measurements vs music

Well, this is getting interesting. My point was that I have 3 amps of different technologies and two (discrete, op amp) sound better, the tired tube one sounds worse. Good electronics have no characteristic sound. The one measurement that is easily done it voltage into 8 ohm resistor- the ST70 with bad caps and output tubes is more of a ST20 (twenty watts), and you can hear it on piano hits. I find THD and IMDistortion measurements are useful down to 1%, which most people on this forum have pushed way past. I'm old enough to remember when the audio standard of most people was the six foot long wooden console record player, with the more expensive wood the better. These produced maybe 5% THD at their peak 5 watts per channel output, and can mostly be found now in the craigslist "free curb alert" listings. At the time when these were popular, my band director was touting the Altec-Lansing VOT's and tube amp at the local movie theater- a reference standard that has held up over the years. The shibboleth of today is the MP3 player- I find nobody on this forum touting them, while the whole rest of the world is fascinated. I've dispaired of finding J Curl's favorite "Kind of Blue" on vinyl LP at the charity resale shop, and will probably have to do with buying a new CD. Anyway, below 1% THD, speaker imperfection and room effects dominate amplifier imperfections in my opinion. To point out systems that don't sound good without a distortion analyzer to analyze it, my new HDTV is "pretty good", but not great, with it's 3x6" speakers and maybe 3 watts output. The point of having multiple amps, is that one of them is going to the TV room, along with the T-300 HF projector speakers that have only one "sweet spot", which will be aimed at the TV chair. Room effects can really dominate electronic imperfections, and I"ve (pardon italics, I don't know how I did that) recently moved the Steinway to a less than ideal spot to prove the point. I'm sorry I don't worship the goal of .01% distortion, but I find that amps that are great in that respect in my price range tend to go up in flames and take your speaker with it, or pass lightning straight through to the speaker, of which we have a lot here. The whole point of tubes in my opinion is their indestructability-The ST70 and PAS2 have taken several lightning strikes over the years, with power switches being the main casualties, whereas the ST120 went up in a ball of flame under the podium at a choir rehearsal that went on too long, and has only recently been revived and better output fused.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Back to op-amps for a moment... I read that the expensive MBL 6010D preamplifier runs on op-amps (reportedly AD797 and NE5534). Are there any other very expensive commercial preamplifiers that use op-amps?

Gordy... May I suggest you wire some opamps up (use point to point wiring, it takes minutes), use a couple of PP3's and see what you think. Use a socket and make your own mind up whether you feel they are worth pursuing or not.
Try a 4558, a TL072, a 5532 and something else... I would still say a 2604 and tell us what you think.

What does it matter what commercial equipment uses what... it doesn't make it a good or bad product on that alone.

other very expensive commercial preamplifiers that use op-amps?

Mark Levinson, if "very" still applies.
To name a few models ; No 38, 38S, 380S, and the current 326S.
Most of the typical German opamp camp have gone fully discrete or out of business.

The thing with opamps is that some concepts are easily managed with a handfull of opamps, while as completely discrete becomes a magnitude more complex.
The either-or stand is not a big help.
SYN08 does very interesting stuff by combining ICs and various discrete components, imso.

Edit : me forgots the No 32 flagship, $28k with phono boards overhere at the current $-rate.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I have a Chappell, and used to have a Roland too. I'd take the Chappell anytime over the electronic.

Likewise, I used to have a Yamaha (Clavinova, not acoustic) and would never go back.

We can go round in circles with threads like this. I accept Jans definition, and yours too in saying that the amp should add nothing to what passes through it. But then you say trust your ears, and my ears prefer technically less "perfect" offerings.

I feel sure that such 'technically perfect' amps must measure poorly given the right measurement stimulus. Just as one example, an AP generates a near perfect sinewave stimulus but its differential mode only, by design. Real world sources have a common mode component too and less competently designed amps respond in different ways when given common mode signals.

Offerings that have that "Wow" factor, that just seem to push all the right buttons musically. So again it becomes subjective. The measurements would show high levels of distortion (relatively speaking) probably of a predominance of 2H and so on as well as other non linearities.

Those amps would be ones which are able to ignore common mode signals on their inputs and outputs I would reckon. Having an output transformer helps enormously with this. So there are good 'objective' reasons for your subjective preferences but the distortion spectrum measured with a pure tone is a red herring I think.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]I feel sure that such 'technically perfect' amps must measure poorly given the right measurement stimulus. Just as one example, an AP generates a near perfect sinewave stimulus but its differential mode only, by design. Real world sources have a common mode component too and less competently designed amps respond in different ways when given common mode signals.
[snip].

Sorry, this is not correct. An amp that doesn't add or subtract from the signal will measure perfect, however you measure it.

The AP can generate all kinds of signals, single ended, balanced, common mode, what have you. And all of that is routinely measured (if the tester is worth his money). A routine measurement is with ISO-31 signals which contain 31 different frequencies that are spaced in a specific way so that their harmonics do not overlap. This is a more stringent signal than music.

jd

Sorry, this is not correct. An amp that doesn't add or subtract from the signal will measure perfect, however you measure it.

Yes, but we (Mooly and I) are not talking here about one of those perfect amps which is merely a straight wire with gain. We're talking about an amp which is claimed to be 'technically perfect' but does add and subtract from the signal. How I know this is because he found it unsatisfying to listen to. A truly perfect amp would sound perfect too, not merely measure perfect. So your 'this is not correct' is tilting at windmills.

The AP can generate all kinds of signals, single ended, balanced, common mode, what have you.

How about a low distortion sinewave signal which is riding on broad band common-mode RF in the band 500kHz to 10MHz? Certainly when I was using an AP1 it did not have this plug-in, but perhaps AP2 has the feature? If so, please enlighten me.

You said very recently not to take you too seriously. This is a case in point - all symbols/text on a page/monitor are just symbols/patterns and inherently valueless. Your words, my words - all valueless.:D Live with it.

Seems to have struck a raw nerve there with you abraxalito. Valueless but still worthy of a response. Interesting that you don't respond to my points, just try to rubbish me on a personal level. I can live with that. :D

You're not a closet subjectivist masquerading as a tweak (sorry, scientist), are you?

Until science reclaims audio engineering we're all trying to operate in a fog.

janneman, talking out of his surface hopelessness, thinks that this will never happen, but the scientist in him hasn't give up hope, and keeps on popping up in rebellion.

w

Oh, don't take me too seriously, I was kidding about the Turner prize.

Last edited:
Seems to have struck a raw nerve there with you abraxilito.

Do you have any evidence of that? Some words of mine indicating that I got emotionally affected by your words? If so, which ones please? If you indicate them, I can help you see where your perception has gotten distorted.

Valueless but still worthy of a response.

Did you miss my saying that my words are just as valueless as your own? I wasn't particularly targeting your latest post in my statement that all words are valueless, its just how life is.

Interesting that you don't respond to my points, just try to rubbish me on a personal level. I can live with that. :D

Evidence please that I'm trying rubbishing you on a personal level? And what points are you making which you'd like me to respond to - I didn't see anything that I felt needed a rebuttal but I could have missed some, so help me out here if you're dying for a reply.

You're not a closet subjectivist masquerading as a tweak (sorry, scientist), are you?

I'm fairly open about being a subjectivist so nothing 'closet' about that. I wouldn't want to associate myself too closely with the term 'scientist' as Jan has some valid points there.

Until science reclaims audio engineering we're all trying to operate in a fog.

Actually here's a statement which is worth a rebuttal. Science (in terms of what's actually practiced, not the methodology which is basically sound) needs to be radically rethought, more along the lines of subjectivist audio. That is, perceptions (observations, auditions and the like) need to be brought back centre stage and speculation moved into the wings.

Do you have any evidence of that? Some words of mine indicating that I got emotionally affected by your words? If so, which ones please? If you indicate them, I can help you see where your perception has gotten distorted.

Did you miss my saying that my words are just as valueless as your own? I wasn't particularly targeting your latest post in my statement that all words are valueless, its just how life is.

Evidence please that I'm trying rubbishing you on a personal level? And what points are you making which you'd like me to respond to - I didn't see anything that I felt needed a rebuttal but I could have missed some, so help me out here if you're dying for a reply.

I'm fairly open about being a subjectivist so nothing 'closet' about that. I wouldn't want to associate myself too closely with the term 'scientist' as Jan has some valid points there.

Actually here's a statement which is worth a rebuttal. Science (in terms of what's actually practiced, not the methodology which is basically sound) needs to be radically rethought, more along the lines of subjectivist audio. That is, perceptions (observations, auditions and the like) need to be brought back centre stage and speculation moved into the wings.

I'm happy to let other readers make up their own minds in this case without further comment from me.

w

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]How about a low distortion sinewave signal which is riding on broad band common-mode RF in the band 500kHz to 10MHz? Certainly when I was using an AP1 it did not have this plug-in, but perhaps AP2 has the feature? If so, please enlighten me.

No it cannot. It can also not generate infrared signales. But that was not the issue.
You thought (or at least said so) that the AP only does sines, and then only diff mode. Clearly, you have no experience with modern audio testing or you should not have said that. Yet your ignorance did not prevent you to make judgements.

jd

BTW Here is a representative ISO-31 signal frequencies in Hz, magnitude only; of course the phase relationships also have to be set for worst-case signals

I'm happy to let other readers make up their own minds in this case without further comment from me.

Cool, I'll just add one remark for guidance if anyone's really interested in making up their minds. The scientist historically has relied on evidence first, and from the evidence builds up theories. So observation precedes hypothesizing. If you believe wakibaki is a scientist in that tradition, you'll want to see how many of his statements cite his observations.

Hi Gordy... try something like the OPA604 or OPA2604 if you have been used to valves. OpAmps do have their own sound, the fact that we seem able to pick up on these tiny differences always amazes me, but we do. The 604 has the "right" kind of distortion spectrum to sound pleasing I find.

Edit... whats wrong with opamps ? Nothing, it's the way they are implemented that's often wrong :)

I also like the OPA604. However, the LM4562 provides exceptional performance and has gotten a good reputation.

Cheers,
Bob

They sound fine when properly implemented - but unlike tubes they're really susceptible to RF and this I think is responsible for much of their 'poor sound' reputation. People give them poor power supplies and decouple them in such a way (as shown in many textbooks and app notes) as to couple noise into them then complain about the 'solid state glare'.

These are good points. JFET op amps are less susceptible to RFI, and that is one reason why they are often preferred. It is also wise to bias the output stage into class A if there is any concern that it is entering class B in the circuit in which it is being used.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi , Tief

As musician , i obseved 20 years ago that using what
was called an Aural Exciter changed a cold digital sound
in something that sounded warm and live , since
the principle of this accessory is to add EVEN harmonics
to the original sound.
A tube amp has almost the same effect, so when one
listen to a transistorized clean sound, he seems to him
that something that was there with a tube audio chain
is suddenly missing.
Of course, adding a tone control to a solid state amp
will not produce the same effect, since the tone control
increase both originals even and odd harmonics.
This, with the fact that a tube amp has a low damping factor,
modifying even more the original sound , is the reason why
some see a superiority of the tube things over the SS siblings !!

That it to say, they prefer an enhanced sound , yet, they
call those wave shapers "Hi fi" items !!...

cheers,

Wahab

These are all very good points, especially about the aural exciter.

However, bear in mind that many well-designed push-pull tube amplifiers do not produce a lot of second harmonic distortion, since they can be made symmetrical. Single-ended tube amplifiers are a different animal, and do produce lots of second harmonic.

Cheers,
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.